THE PLAYSTATION 1 SOCIETY

also dunno how you @Felix but i’d like to slap some BRANDS all over this
like “NOT FROM BERLIN” and “DEEP-HELL DOT COM” and “FROM SELECTB!”

it’s very easy to pick up tips if you just google “how do I do X in software I am using” and worth spending time on

(featuring dante from the devil may cry series)

It would be fun to have a psx style sb logo jingle

This is the dorkiest thing I have thought all year

2 Likes

you’re always asking me how to brand stuff which is very conscientious of you and I appreciate it but I both a) don’t care at all about the idea of a broader selectbutton “brand” and b) don’t think you need to run it by me unless you’re doing something with considerable liability or that would obviously upset people here. do whatever the SNES folks are doing! or add your own imprint! whatever!

“endorsed by felix!” “100% BARELY LEGAL PODCAST”

4 Likes

I would probably be interested in this but I would only ramble about Abe’s Odyssey and King’s Field

1 Like

fine by me cuz I bet you and @meauxdal could talk about one of those things a lot!!

I am so down for this. my favorite system.

year of PSX plz

vagrant story vagrant story vagrant story

1 Like

There is so much ground to be covered, so many nuggets to be mined, it’s almost daunting to think about. You could do a whole episode just on the commercials.

1 Like

Well, why not? I wonder what everyone thinks of trying to cover not just the library of the console itself, but also the various odds and ends of the era

A whole show just about the launch titles

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#PlayStation

Would it be more manageable to assign a specific theme/genre per month? Like, there’s the console itself and how it came it to be and the overall context it existed in and such, then there’s the marketing, then there are the major genres that helped sell the console like the JRPGs, then the rest like the Platformers, Fighters, Racers, etc. The major titles that came to be well known staples and exemplars of the PlayStation Brand itself and all the ones everyone remembers, then you have the interesting failures or things that were interesting but were specific only to a single market. And then inversely the episodes that laser focus on one title or series and such.

I don’t know if I’m interested in actually participating in one of these but I will definitely listen to them.

1 Like

Don’t wanna get too much into industry! really wanna focus on software with minor diatribes about commercials and that sort of thing

The official term according to me is “selectbutton gaiden podcast”

4 Likes

Also, beware the audio list thread, which has produced the most boringest episodes of the sb podcast

i think avoiding super broad topics or is probably a good idea - maybe focusing on single games or game series, maybe developers or hyper-specific genres (the obvious example being Experimental Squaresoft, or Japan-Only Toy Advergames, or Games What Changed The Game) and maybe even organizing chronologically to help form a roadmap for where to start

1 Like

uhhhhhh this is prolly a dumb idea but you asked if there was a way for people who wanna play along and don’t wanna talk on the podcast and i was wondering the same thing and like

if it’s a monthly podcast one of us could do a video to go along with the podcast? i’d love to practice recording and making more videos, and many people have mentioning streaming here, which often gives more than enough footage to go on. obv it depends on mine or whomever’s free time, but we could just like, go from showing just raw gameplay footage to maybe showing specific parts or adding comments or boxart or commercials or w/e

5 Likes

Umm yes