The News Grandmaster 4000

2 is probably the peak of the series, a solid evolution of the first game’s themes and concepts. if you liked the first one, you’ll probably like 2 too.

3 was basically “yeah we really want to be done with this now here’s some Way Cool Setpieces or something i dunno that’s what AAA games do”

FF15 spinoff #1?

Already been done

Not a Radical Rex sequel, booooo

I can’t stand this visual style, yuck:

At the same time the original Star Control creators vaguely announced they’re finally working on their own sequel. What a mess, it’s not even clear there’s room for even one Star Control sequel let alone two.

I’ve realized today all what’s really called for is a Star Control II remake, anyway. I think it’s a very tall order to improve on SCII’s alien designs and storyline. SCII’s narrative might be the best possible way to explore the theme of imperialism in a sci-fi videogame, and you can neither really move to a different theme nor return to the same well with different aliens while avoiding disappointment. At the same time the UI, difficulty curve and overall pacing is so clumsy by modern standards I find it hard to recommend anyone play SCII today.

2 Likes

Wow, yeah, that Star Control Origins video looks like hot garbage. The character design is like a bargain bin Lilo & Stitch, and the general aesthetic is like a direct-to-DVD Dreamworks imitation languishing in a 7/11 aisle. And why would anyone care about their overly complex ship and alien customization system in 2017? That stuff is almost as dated as the old Star Control games!

1 Like

give star contgrol to ajapanese dev

give it to platinum & make kawazu direct

make famous battles oftheuranbanqnan volumesone through four a f2preium mobage starfightstrategy vrsues draw for mobiles

have a Hot Japanese Atrist retell sc2 as a amanga or aneme or something, maybe retell as series of LINME emotionmis to put in your tweets

(I arolw rhia?)

The SCO wikipedia page says that ti will beapple to llip-synce the aliens to user-written sripts and I personally Cannot Wait to have the Supreme Yarrblbpflax of Grupothotrt wrap his slmy labiums about the carefulyy weighted words of my Erotic Racisdt Fanfiction

toys for bob please put all the star control species in skylanders or vice versa thx in advance

3 Likes

Whenever Adam Cadre posts another article about how much he loved Star Control II, I’m tempted to try to play it again, but the action encounters are all unplayably fast on the computers I tried. I’ve never encountered an adequate solution.

?? what are you running it in? that sounds like a problem with unthrottled DOS emulation, that shouldn’t be happening in dosbox even

and for that matter there’s been a well-maintained open source port of SC2 for years:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

(the action encounters are quite fast and hard to get the hang of at first but that’s actually how the game plays. if they ever do a remake I’d strongly advocate leaving this one part of the game completely intact and just using the existing open source code, because it’s elegant and all of the ways in which it’s unbalanced are all great)

unless … is it possible your original memories of the game are from running it on a 286 or something that ran the action sequences at half speed? that’s not unheard of :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This game makes very satisfying gifs

3 Likes

I like how the unit “prices” are a universal balancer in the super melee mode. I had made up some house rules to buy up to 200 points, limit 3 ships of one type, each player picks their roster blind to the other’s. The only problem is that the prices are poorly chosen (I think the worst offenders are due to loyalty to the original Star Control 1 prices – like Mycon whose fair value I might put at 8 instead of 23).

I keep looking at that gif and wanting to remove that central hex that doesn’t appear to be doing anything.

FYI the soundtrack is already up on Spotify (and other digital music stores, probably)

Yeah that bonder only comes in that Y shape sorry!

Here please have a gif where I use all the spaces:

Also some bonus gifs:

I think this game might be easier than most other Zachtronics games, but I feel it produces very satisfying & watchable results.

5 Likes

Does the game have a built-in gifmaker? Seems to fit with the aesthetic, ‘beautiful loop’.