The News Grandmaster 4000

No I have too many games already this looks so gooooood

80 Days and the other Inkle stuff is respectable but not my jam, but I always hoped they’d push in a direction like this.

I’m so ready.

I quite like 80 Days and it’s due in no small part to how much they limit the interactivity to make it inobtrusive as a phone game (one of very few genres I feel that way about), so I’m actually not crazy about this direction, but we’ll see!

Fair enough; all my mobile game experience is grudgingly keeping up on an old tablet and I get itchy with the distance they all hold me at

The experimentation with lower rez CG aesthetics…the gorgeous alternative fantasy worlds…puzzles based on exploration language and context…starring a girl.

I think someone has been reading my dream journals.

2 Likes
2 Likes

LOL

See you in another two months I guess

edit:

they’re going to dumb it down (edit: optimistically, maybe dumb it sideways or dumb it upwards). I don’t think that would be necessary if they hadn’t fucked up the marketing and messaging in nearly every other way it was possible to fuck up, mostly in ways nobody had ever dreamed of fucking up before.

the most alienating aspect of Artifact’s gameplay is the per-creature attack arrow RNG, which I’ve always defended as the game is about managing a chaotic battlefield from a higher level than going “PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU” and poking each and every mythical beast and pointing them at what you want them to fight, as in Hearthstone, or the opposite situation in Magic where monsters sit around doing nothing for many turns for fear of defender’s advantage. (I guess I might as well talk about Artifact’s gameplay a bit since it will likely no longer exist, but I’ll wait another ice age to see what Valve comes up with to replace it.)

how many jokes have people already made about Artifact becoming an artifact

If you think about it, Artifact was like an arcade tcg, complete with coin munching. So if you want to get your TCG on you can always get a real Japanese arcade TCG except without the credit feeding, coming next week.

Edit: Sega please port Sengoku Taisen to PC.

Edit 2: I think there’s a new Yu gi oh game coming out soon too.

2 Likes

looks crazy sick, will cop

that card-on-touchscreen interface is incredible

not to be like, that nerd, but they’ve had stuff like this since at least the last time i was in Japan like uhhhhh 8 years ago. Square had a game called Lord of Vermillion 2 that i bought a deck for and played a bunch. it’s a cool tech that i wish would come stateside, but it makes sense that it doesn’t.

Ignorance is bliss for things I can’t have.

1 Like

Yeah, Google around for other arcade TCGs and you’ll find all sorts of crazy stuff. Lord of Vermillion, Sengoku Taisen (it’s predecessor Sangokushi Taisen got a Nintendo DS port), Wheel of Eternity, Code of Joker, etc. There are even sports games like soccer and horse racing adapted to a touch screen x card interface. It’s all very cool and looks very expensive.

1 Like

This feels newsworthy.

4 Likes

Small bit of good news, at least. Still feels like getting off light.

Let’s not

6 Likes

Uhm, okay.

1 Like

“In Barriss’ case, the prosecution had reportedly requested a 25-year sentence, while the defense team requested 20 years.”

Jesus christ federal courts are so depressing

5 Likes
2 Likes

New Sakura Taisen trailer is out and it looks dope:

1 Like

am I supposed to feel bad for this guy, or something?