The News Grandmaster 4000

while that is true, it gained that audience organically over many years. dota was already an old and popular game by the time valve dumped an engine and a shop on it

Addendum: I avoided (and am avoiding) getting into a defense of Artifact as a game; my argument is that the appeal of the game wasn’t the primary reason it failed (there are too many reasons it failed). I’ll praise (and resume playing) Artifact when it is no longer embarrassing or pre-empted by huge caveats to do so; i.e. when Valve ever makes the game less monetarily intimidating and reeking of neglect.

I will concede that I think the game is unwatchable to bystanders, but for that matter I think MtG (and Dota) is too. I could also give MtG and Hearthstone much more credit for their respective merits (and they have many), but they don’t orthagonally relate to what I’m discussing here, and at any rate I’d have to start defending Artifact as a game (which I’m not going to do yet lol) to get into direct comparisons on how they handle combat, turns/priority, randomness, dramatic impact, etc.

I generally can’t care at all about people watching a game on Twitch, and I don’t do it myself when I can just play the game, but as an indicator of how many people care about it… yeah, it’s pretty fucking sad where it is.

1 Like

IMO the biggest Artifact fuckup has nothing to do with the game economy or the game itself, but just that they weren’t on mobile on day one.

1 Like

The first thing I saw of cyber shadow was Bob Mackey comparing it to The Messenger and calling the messenger shit. I liked The Messenger and the movement in this definitely looks worse and any game presenting it’s verb expansion screen as something to get excited about makes me want to take a bus and start over.

1 Like

That’s definitely an issue, and a couple notes about that:

— A datamine of the January 28 patch revealed strings related to Unity, which they might be going with because I guess Source 2 doesn’t actually run well on mobile, and

— There is no conceivable way they would launch a mobile card game app with a $20 price tag; that’s just obscene for the mobile space and Valve’s name doesn’t have any clout there. Maybe they planned to drop the upfront cost for the mobile launch all along, who knows.

at this point is it bad if I unironically hope for an impassioned apology to go with whenever they drop the 180-turnaround-on-everything patch

a postmortem or a documentary on whatever’s going on behind the doors of this and other huge flops I would definitely pay to see.

It’s not just that the price to buy in is high, but their entire in-game economy is unlikely to jive with App Store rules to begin with. I think the best case scenario Valve can hope for is releasing a client that can requires an existing Artifact license on PC and lets you buy tickets and play games with your existing card library, but all card buys/trades must happen on PC.

That they’ve seemingly designed the entire game without taking this into account is baffling.

2 Likes

I think the most straightforward pain point was that F2P without grind feels harsh (ironically described as “exploitative” when it’s actually dropping the most effective and subtle psychological hooks).

I’ve heard many people complain about the complexity of the game and I don’t know enough to rate those complaints but it’s the kind of thing that can kill a game.

Does Valve have a library of games they never shipped for quality reasons?

It’s simpler than that. Everyone is told to find work that’s “most valuable for the company”. Everyone with a project needs to convince others that their project is valuable and needs team members.

Owning all of PC games sales is infinitely more revenue-generating than making games and it’s very hard to justify games when you could be working on Steam or platform-like things.

Subtext: remember when Valve bought Campo Santo? Don’t expect them to be able to justify finishing an indie game in this context.

3 Likes

I was pretty sad when I heard about the Campo Santo purchase.

Was looking forward to Firewatch 2: Watch Harder.

1 Like

Pyramidwatch

3 Likes

They could make the app actually fucking work and not launch a browser window that asks you to sign and then confirm on the app that you are al-

2 Likes

If, for some reason, you’ve been interested in owning Morrowind at some point but haven’t gotten your hands on it yet, Bethesda’s giving it out for free until the end of the month. This is on account of the Elder Scrolls series turning 25 a few days ago!

also Valve famously has no dedicated QA

I think certain types of quality-of-life features naturally fall into blind spots of their peculiar focus.

Seriously in 2019 they don’t have a smartphone webstore you have to navigate the desktop store in all the pan and scan glory and whenever it is a special event-sale it bre-

4 Likes

The simple solution is to stop buying games on Steam and opt for marketplaces that have 1) good mobile support, 2) offers a better cut to developers.

Oh hi itch.io

1 Like

I really, really want developers who put their games on sale on Steam to put them on the same sale on itch, btw.

But itch.io is the best and I am buying everything I can from there now.

I’m frankly surprised that doesn’t happen often, considering how easy it is to do sales on itch, even setting them up in advance (and devs get advance notice of Steam sales, which is why the dates always leak)

it doesn’t load a mobile stylesheet for you? it does for me and they work OK

their actual iOS app hasn’t been updated in a dog’s age but unless you need the authenticator for trading cards or something just uninstall it and the website is fine

It’s such a hassle to set up sales periods for the twelve stores you’re in and maintaining support for three or more titles, especially when putting a game on sale on itch will net you 0 sales for the five minutes of work.

1 Like

I mean, when you’re on Steam, it essentially cannibalizes sales from any other outlet. And it doesn’t necessarily make up the slack.

Look, I’m not saying getting off Steam is the smartest business choice in the short term.

Sure. It’s tough that to even know how much you should push something like itch in your outreach because even though you get a higher cut, people are less likely to respond.

And so much of itch’s value is due to its small size, so there’s a part that needs to be this hidden bookstore in the woods to hold onto itself.