Bubble Bobble is the thinking man’s Tetris

3 Likes

that’s so preposterous and unfounded, I love it

1 Like

14 Likes

10 Likes

Super SD System 3

1 Like

having mastered phone sex and controlled burns, delilah from firewatch now tries romancing … the stone

2 Likes

So up for this

Very nice.

I hate how predictable ‘add an AI companion’ is as a sophomore effort; it’s such a go-to move to build ‘more’ on top of a game and I almost always like it less, as I feel pushed and prodded instead of alone and searching.

2 Likes

OH SHIT

bayo 1 and 2 also coming to switch

2 Likes

I really hope the story is better than 2, it undermined 1 so bad

how so? I’m curious, with you being in general a defender of the story in 1 (not trying to relitigate that, btw). I didn’t play 2.

well, where 1 was basically nothing but supportive of its female characters (in that they got some fun ladies-kicking-ass-together scenes and had some moments of actual tenderness across generations of women) and nothing but dismissive of its male characters (who were all either buffoons or evil), 2 tries to redeem bayonetta’s father (going so far as to retcon backstory), totally squanders jeanne, and is exploitative without bayonetta being in control at every moment to offset that. it’s actually a lot worse!

also the bossfights which were already pretty borderline in the original are even worse in the sequel

I never played any Bayonetta games. What’s the hive mind consensus on those? Should I be hyped? I’m ready to be hyped if that’s what’s required of me.

they’re very impressively fluid DMC successors that have some significant but (barely) ignorable design crutches and cheeseball presentation/storytelling on which there is not much consensus.

1 Like

for some reason, i didn’t get very far into Bayo 1 but i loved 2 a lot, maybe being portable will help me get through 1

2 felt like an easier and absurdly flashier Devil May Cry kind of thing and for me that was great

Speaking of DMC, saw that the HD collection is getting a PC/PS4/XBONE port, so that’s…something.

Holy fuck this thread didn’t track and I missed 476 posts

3 Likes

I prefer Bayo1 to Bayo2. Bayo1 had better feeling spectacle to its presentation and felt like there was alot to play with in her toolset. Bayo2 is a smoother experience but feels like it misses some of that spark the first one had. 2 feels like it kinda wants you to just press buttons without thinking about them to much with stuff like the Witch Trigger/Umbran Climax so you can just press buttons for all the wicked weave attacks. Weapons felt more varried in Bayo1. The double swords and chainsaws felt like reskins with a few different effects and the scythe and hammer felt similar outside of some hitboxes and timings. Kamiya games always seem to have a roughness to them that make them kinda spike a bit more often in regard to player progress but when between those spikes they are just sublime. Bayo2 has less spikes like this but doesn’t feel as rewarding to me.

So I’m kinda hoping that Kamiya is more available now to provide more input or even take a directorial role again for the next one.

2 Likes

what will new fromsoft game be hmmmmm hopefully they do a real announcement at psx maybe?

The Mega Man news reminds me of a cool article the Mega Man Legends 3 FB fan page posted in the summer:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/get-me-off-the-moon-mega-man-legends-3-revival/gmotms-interview-with-chris-hoffman-the-only-english-speaking-journalist-to-have/1565522263522009/

1 Like