The News Grandmaster 4000

after extended exposure I’m reducing this by 30%, but maybe add 5% for CDSL

man, hebereke

Winter_K is Kat Chastain you dorks

6 Likes

polygon is like the worst fucking website ever. every screaming ben kuchera headline laser-fired on the most banal thing to have ever existed, every practiced article on the vitality of some minute corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Franchise, every god damn review where “we” is the most common word, every god fucking article filed under “culture” that’s about, like, a youtube video about the pricing of an action figure, or a breakdown of a trailer to a sequel to some godforsaken hollywood refuse, their weirdly empty pseudo outrage about, like, irrelevant third order symptoms of some problem that they are 100% generally unaware of, their reheated irreverence siphoned from 15 year old adult swim shows . how much they love fucking buying things. they have a fucking article about wendy’s twitter account right now.

5 Likes

i kinda checked out on polygon when they launched and made a documentary about how cool they were for launching their website that would change games journalism

Read the longform articles, burn the rest

1 Like

what long form articles? they used to exist, before they rebranded as a ~culture~ website. now I guess every two months you’ll get a two thousand word interview with some guy, does that count

I thought the cadence was roughly 2 to 4 a year. Maybe they’re gone! I wouldn’t be surprised if the internet advertising monopoly crush has killed them off too

how much time do you spending reading the worst fucking website ever
you seem to know a lot about it

1 Like

Their Quality Control podcast is a fascinating look into the madness of a game reviewer.

“I am only 20 hours in so can’t fully comment.”
“Bioshock is a good game.”

But they currently have sasuraiger writing Fightman Articles so that’s real cool.

yeah, I’m a fucking idiot, I thought that was well established

Vile

Wait, I thought we agreed the Top 500 wasn’t worth reading.

3 Likes

oh god, maybe that’s the replacement

The only Polygon articles I read are the ones written by friends.

1 Like

Polygon DOES still have good long-form articles. I’m pretty sure I even linked one here in the last year. They’re under the “Features” tab but lately they’ve been saturating that section of the website with lists/ranking articles.

Here, look, I just found one that looks worth reading that I haven’t read yet.

My biggest problem with Polygon is that I am 33 years old and I’m pretty sure (like, 99.9% sure) that everyone writing for the site is at least a decade younger than me. I have reached the point in my life where I no longer relate to people in their teens and 20s so anything written from/for that perspective just bounces right off of me.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I know what game they shoulda picked: a game that is relatively low-key, but most people have heard of it or played it–a game that, if anyone read the list and went “wtf?? that game was number 1? bullshit!” but then proceeded to go and play the game to see for themselves, they’d be hard-pressed to mount a convincing argument that it’s not the best game ever made.

That’s right, I’m talkin bout Bubble Bobble.

6 Likes

except pick the TI-83 version to be extra obscure

1 Like

That’s exactly what they did, they just picked Tetris.