The News Grandmaster 4000

If people want to see what gaming on Apple stuff was like in the late 80s and 90s, check out this hip YouTube channel!!!

https://www.youtube.com/playdifferent

11 Likes

Yeah, they made World of Demons last year. Sounds like it got shut down pretty quickly. I didn’t even realize it actually came out!

the problem here is people are inclined to fire-and-forget movies and binge watch TV shows, but gamers are very big on 1) collecting and owning things, and/or 2) playing things long term. literally no one gives a fuck about not being able to access shit movie B when their netflix sub lapses, or when netflix arbitrarily decide to remove it a month later. the second that shit happens with video games some angry nerds are going to find a woman to blame it on. there are other problems, of course, but those are the large mainstream obstacles.

unless they’re just after turning mom and dad’s occasional mobile game dalliances into another reliable $15 a month. good luck.

5 Likes

The PS Plus games, Microsoft Games With Gold, Playstation Now streaming service, and Microsoft Games Pass have gone down pretty well. I think behavior will change just as record-buying and DVD-buying behavior did.

Not that I prefer it that way, of course.

nedge I just wanted you to know I heard about this WoW Classic thing and I am absolutely, 100% playing it when it comes out

why, I thought you hate wow

I guess that’s true. well, I don’t know about playstation now, but the others have had some success. but they are also positioned as optional bonuses, rather than as the primary method of playing/buying games on those systems. they all more or less started as a way to add value to necessary online services. you want to play games online on your xbox or psWhatever, you need to purchase an added service. I think that’s bullshit and I never paid for it on any system. it’s one of the main reasons I ended up as an exclusive PC kind of guy. but most people were ok with paying for those services. then they got games with them. isn’t that still how gold/plus work? I don’t even know. you still have to pay for online features, but now you get games? and it is vitally important that these services are not the only way to play those games on those systems. you can buy them just as well. game pass is the next step, and I’m unsure how successful that’s been for microsoft. I know game pass cycles games out. imagine if it continued to cycle games out and microsoft announced that it would be the only way to play games on its next system. completely unfeasible.

Yeah that’s the clumsy joke I was making but I think it wasn’t obvious enough or people don’t know the stainless steel rat books. I haven’t even read them, it’s just such a memorable name

2 Likes

on a related note, I’m really surprised valve doesn’t offer a curated $10/$15 a month game pass feature of its own. or imagine this, from their perspective: a series of game pass options, each one curated by a variety of the top steam curators (ie, youtubers). yeah, they’d have to work it out with publishers, but I can imagine most of them would see it as a boone.

now you know why this isn’t a thing

1 Like

I think the streaming services are ultimately going to be pitched to parents who want to let their kids play video games but don’t want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year on hardware and actually buying the games.

At least that’s the audience I see who would actually want this kind of service.

1 Like

Imagine a bunch of serious po-faced Film Buffs sitting around dusting their museum of 35mm reels, scoffing at the announcement of Netflix.

“It’ll never take off. You don’t even OWN any of the films you watch!”

1 Like

netflix is objectively shit for film buffs, and increasingly useless for movies of any sort, so I’m not sure what your point is. buy the apple service all you want?

1 Like

My point is that Netflix was a smashing success because the vast majority of people don’t give a rat’s ass about the issues those film buffs got their underoos in a twist over.

If they indeed work as advertised, then the success of these services is going to come down to two things, and only two.

1: “is my internet connection fast enough?”
2: “Is the price of the service worth the amount of content it gives me access to”

1 Like

Yeah, I think you underestimate value and availability as reasons people play games next to historical importance and long-term cachet. People want to play the games that are popular, then they fade, then they do the same with the next hot thing. I don’t think collectors and hoarders are a significant demographic.

Microsoft is about to start selling an Xbox One without a disc drive; Steam ate physical PC releases a decade ago and nobody minded. I think we’ll find games players are more like regular consumers than not.

1 Like

“have you heard of terminals? what if we told you you could hack them? not so fast bucko it gets tricky” like some kind of theoretically perfected enthusiasm killer
3 Likes

the next hot thing in movies takes 90 minutes to watch, the next hot thing in video games takes 50-100 hours to play, and appeals to a comparatively narrow demographic. there is a big step between not owning a physical copy of a game and full on games-as-service. I’ve not seen anyone clamor for the later as their primary means of playing video games, and gamers in general put up heavy resistance to any change in the way they play games. they are resistant to installing different launchers, buying from different stores, piecemeal pricing patterns, required online connections, closed platforms.

netflix/spotify/et al. gained traction by appealing to the kinds of people who do not play video games. I don’t know what you’re going to sell to those people.

So did the Wii

yeah, and they bought wii sports because it seemed novel at parties. google and apple are trotting out doom, assassins creed, hironobu sakaguchi, platinum games, a sequel to a 25 year old adventure game – who is the market? netflix killed blockbuster because people didn’t like to drive to watch a movie when they didn’t have to, that’s about it. gamers are already used to being locked into ‘ecosystems’ that they are invested in. how many of them are going to pay money for the privilege to leave those things behind? I don’t need google to play doom, and if I’m interested in it chances are I’ve already invested money in one of the 4 other ways I can play that game.