The News Grandmaster 4000

like, apparently niantic has been doing ingress stuff in the park where one of their meeting spots has a speaker playing a low, stress-inducing drone in the middle of a fucking public park

sometimes video games are too much

1 Like

I know one of the writers on the new Bloodlines, so I feel it’s in good hands in that regard (I like their work).

2 Likes

apple are in the middle of announcing a game subscription service which is launching with, apparently, a sequel to beneath a steel sky and a sakaguchi title

1 Like

On what platforms?

wwwhhhhhhhhhh

4 Likes

what’s happening to video games

It’s starting to feel like the 1980s gaming boom all over again. I wonder if there’s market research that says there is serious demand for this, or all the tech companies are doing it now out of fear there is and they’ll be left out?

3 Likes

in Apple’s case they are trying to position themselves as the home for literally all media that has any kind of full-fat production chain attached to it (i.e. not user-generated) and which is not already produced by another streaming service in house

it’s disturbingly heavy artillery where the magazine and film industries are concerned (though they’re obviously concerned enough about long-term revenue to take their chances), no idea where videogames will shake out

like thirty minutes after beneath a steel sky they’ve trotted out spielberg and oprah

Oh, it’s Apple platforms, nothing I need to concern myself with.

2 Likes

Furries are big in 2019. So is sci-fi. How about “Beneath a Steel Rat”

1 Like

Streaming services with content owned by the service has eaten so much of movies & TV (Netflix) everyone believes this is the future for other media. I’m less optimistic about Apple’s chances than established game companies or Google, but a big bucket of money doesn’t hurt

10 Likes

yeah fuck subscriptions

1 Like

Shoutout to all the GamerGate choads who bought a lifetime dlc subscription for FleetCOMM

My entire experience with apple products is that one time I played the Daedalus Encounter on a cousin’s mac back in the 90s. And making a photo with a girl’s iphone when she handed it to me. I’m not going to start with apple at this point in my life, not even for videogames

I wonder how successful this will be at resurrecting the mobile ‘crafted experience’ market – the games Apple favors, like Monument Valley, Sword & Sworcery; the kind people once thought the tablet format would support but have mostly been crushed as the market refines to various types of endless F2P number machines.

Looking at a list like,

Beyond a Steel Sky (a sequel to Revolution Software’s beloved sci-fi point-and-clicker Beneath a Steel Sky), Little Orpheus from The Chinese Room, Sayonara Wild Hearts from Simogo, Klei Entertainment’s Hot Lava, WayForward’s Spidersaurs, Finji’s Overland, AbzĂ» developer Giant Squid’s The Pathless, Sonic Racing, and more

these are all titles that people want to see on tablets and phones but would have a hard time even justifying a port these days

https://www.reddit.com/r/Artifact/

3 Likes

wonder what they’d even do for a Black Knight 3

One weird standout from that slide of Apple Arcade partners: Platinum Games.

Have they even done any mobile stuff before?