The News Grandmaster 4000

I’ve told my story of hanging out with Yu Suzuki at GDC? He was with the 8-4 guys as translators and minders but was mostly checked out; when we went to a Chinese restaurant for a Japanese devs event he spent the night fielding business card requests from very shy Japanese devs and failing to hide his exhaustion. I think he liked hanging out with Americans because he’d barely have to talk to them

6 Likes

http://frogdetective.net/

oh hell yes

3 Likes
7 Likes

interesting. was wondering when someone would capitalize on this trend

kind of weird to see plastic love not on it, but I trust light in the attic to curate something like this well

1 Like

isn’t plastic love some weird youtube algorithm curiosity?

1 Like

Light in the Attic has already shown themselves to be very knowledgeable about this period of Japanese music, with their excellent Haruomi Hosono reissues and an impressive compilation of Japanese ambient and new age music. I’m very interested in what they’ll put together for this!

6 Likes

it is, but it also slaps

3 Likes

I was expecting this to be mostly names I was familiar with, but it’s mostly not! That’s more people for me to check out!

1 Like

yamashita and takeuchi are a peerless power couple and tats is the undisputed king himself alone but say goodbye is maybe the most crystallized perfect work

cool jacket design on the light in the attic comp

face records has a shop in nyc now and everything costs like fifty bucks there

3 Likes

Holy shit how did I not know Yamashita and Takeuchi were married??

Wild that there’s no Yamashita on this collection. I have probably listened to the entirety of Ride on Time a thousand times now.

1 Like

it’s surely licensing, they wouldn’t just throw away sales on the first international comp for crate digger cred

It’s always licensing

Forget it Jake. It’s licensing.

2 Likes

And of course it’s got that sweet (I think) Hiroshi Nagai artwork, was beach melancholia en vogue at the time?

I wanna watch Sonatine now.

2 Likes

Reach and CE first even

2 Likes

I guess this’ll be a good excuse to see what halo was like after the first one. Is ODST in there? I was interested in the setup on that one.