The News Grandmaster 4000

Gods, the thought of trying to eke out a living making games is utterly depressing.

4 Likes

The thing that happens in my brain when I tell people that Iā€™m actively involved in making games as a hobby and they tell me ā€œOh, you should try to do that as your jobā€ is a very complex set of emotions that I try not to share too much with people who are really just being nice.

9 Likes

My experiences have taught me a lot of things but the most important thing about indie space is play with someone elseā€™s money. Working on hopes of future profits is a way to lose it all; under the threshold of being able to get an advance from a publisher I think itā€™s best handled as a hobbyist proposition.

8 Likes

(alternately, have a sustained income from previous titles to live on, but that select company includes everyone who could get money and is better off not)

1 Like

I wince so hard when I meet someone at a game dev meetup or something who tells me they just quit their job and are living on savings or maybe even took out a loan to finance the next two years of their life with plans to launch a Kickstarter in six months.

You canā€™t tell someone like that DUDE YOUā€™RE GONNA BE FILING BANKRUPTCY IN EIGHTEEN MONTHS.

Oh, the dreams.

This was really bad in Utah, where the dumb scrappy capitalist idealism that is forced into young men from the moment they step out of the womb and into a Mormon meetinghouse tells everyone who watches a YouTube tutorial on Unity that they absolutely have to make a million off their open world story-driven puzzle platformer zeldalike where your choices matter.

Since living in Maryland, a lot of the people Iā€™ve met who quit their dayjobs to go indie have recently left jobs in the game industry, but have used their industry contacts to get them contract work to survive on while they use other industry contacts to try to get actual funding. But I still worry about them.

9 Likes

i personally feel like the indie world really did not benefit from making itself a mirror image of the bigger industry. itā€™s true: once people figured out that the best route to success was via playing with other peopleā€™s/companiesā€™ money, a particular moment of indie game creation ceased to exist. and the possibilities continue to grow narrower.

obviously, not everyone who got into indie games was looking for revolution, economic or otherwise, but i feel like the current state of things is just so out of control, and not in a good or fun way. i just wish someone smarter than me could think of alternative methods of creating sustainable revenue.

i would also never begrudge any creative person for figuring out how game the system and make a living, these are just things iā€™ve been reflecting on lately, as i think about the past.

8 Likes

Are you thinking of a point where this turned?

Like the golden era of Xbox Indies, or pre-Steam direct distribution, or the flash game scene? Iā€™m still seeing more and better stuff at all budget levels, from student on up, going out through itch and Steam and the like; more and more people are doing this and so doing it without any income.

I mean, Iā€™m older than I was a decade ago, so itā€™s not as novel and Iā€™m harder to impress, but I think more and better and weirder stuff is out there now than before once I adjust for my localized cynicism.

2 Likes

Aside: the only fun local indie scene Iā€™ve been involved with is in Eugene, Oregon.

Salt Lake City was too full of dipshit twenty-year-olds who all thought their six-months-in-production, ugly-as-shit, barely playable, blatantly derivative projects were a hairā€™s breadth away from notch-like wealth. No one really wants to connect. They just wanna sell. Win Friends and Influence People, but completely lacking in social graces. Every face a customer.

Baltimore is kinda cool because most people are more adult and have more practical experience. Some really awesome, very friendly people, but because itā€™s so pro thereā€™s not really any room for hobbyists. People are either genuinely trying to network to advance their careers or tired of talking game dev all fucking day and donā€™t wanna connect over that.

Eugene was a rad mix of super supportive people who were always up for seeing whatever anyone was working onā€“hobbyists, students, small indie studios, people working for big tech companies. God, I miss those peeps.

6 Likes

thatā€™s certainly possible. i think, for me, my own view is completely tainted by my own experiences, so iā€™d localize the ā€œpeakā€ for myself as being somewhere in that 2010-2011 range, right before Xbox Indies was really a thing. and somewhat more specifically, the weird and fun collaborations that were going on between game devs and artists in NYC, and the goal of creating stuff that really redefined what mainstream audiences thought of as ā€œvideogames.ā€

i guess like, this is just me being old, and seeing how stuff that felt new and exciting and was pushing boundaries has just been turned into another way to sell a product. insert Burroughs quote about the money machine, etc.

there is definitely cool stuff being made, for sure, but i guess what i had hoped was for things to go in completely new directions that were divorced from the industry entirely, as much as possible.

and youā€™re right, there is cool stuff out there, still, and probably more if i looked harder. but mostly, ā€œindie gameā€ reads to me as any other label, like ā€œshooterā€ or ā€œplatformer.ā€ it mostly describes a product.

i know iā€™m probably being overly cynical, and that isnā€™t really my aim.

basically, every time i hear about something like the above re: streamers or like, Unity being sold to shitheads, etc. etc., i canā€™t help but feel like there was an opportunity that was missed to take the field of game design further away from its capitalist roots. there were hints it could have happened, but then we got Braid and Fez.

6 Likes

what makes the japan indie scene so different? it seems like thereā€™s more diversity of genre there, and almost all games get physical releases, which is something even big companies donā€™t bother with for pc games in the west.

it also feels more like itā€™s a bunch of people making games because they have ideas for games, rather than as a get-rich-quick scheme (though there are still groups that get console releases and stuff for their games, like platine-dispositif, for example, so thereā€™s still some profit being made in there presumably)

1 Like

Whatā€™s strange in this timeline is that Braid was mid 2008, so like it clearly took awhile to have its effect. Fez was four years later, though. Time compression in memory is weird.

1 Like

yeah, i could have Googled this before hitting submit, but i like to think of my exaggerations as uhā€¦flourishes.

Oh, I didnā€™t mean it as anything against your timeline, which seems accurate enough for what it is. It is just very strange how the ripples from the Braid release werenā€™t felt for awhile, but it did definitely cause a stream of ā€œgonna get rich on my indie gameā€ things to happen.

The dojin culture and even just the material culture surrounding ownership is just a wildly different mindset (good memories right now of buying a game online but having to walk over to Family Mart to pay for it on a kiosk so I could actually download it).

The existence of the dojin comic scene nurtured through spaces like the Comic Market existing as a force of energy that exists in tandem with but not parallel to the professional, corporate industry has given the dojin games scene a healthy, mutually supportive character. People care about the health of that scene in a way that Euro-American scenes just donā€™t.

But, yes, I think itā€™s absolutely true that thereā€™s less get-rich-quick mentality there. Very few dojin circles are trying to make anything like a living off what they do. My understanding is that most of them take what they make from their works (made in their hobby time, apart from their full-time work) to pour back into buying other dojin creatorsā€™ works (Iā€™ve talked to at least one person who does this and have read about it in multiple articles).

(Not sure I buy the greater diversity of genre line in dojin spheres, thoughā€“itā€™s different and possibly more diverse from what you see in commercial indie spaces outside of Japan, but I donā€™t think itā€™s actually more diverse from what you see in the broader English-language indie scene on platforms like itch (and even paid dojin works are usually only liminally commercial))

4 Likes

in the indie scene as a whole there might be all kinds of games coming out, but it feels like everytime i hear about a new western indie game thereā€™s like a 70% chance of it being a puzzle platformer

thatā€™s just how it feels though, and is probably wildly inaccurate

2 Likes

thatā€™s not true at all!

More than half of what I make are puzzle platformers and my favorite dojin game is a puzzle platformer so my biases cloud my vision on this.

I am an emblem of the worthless conservative shit in games!

I think doujin is a good vision of what an indie scene unfocused on our metrics of success looks like, and the doujin scene is pretty cool, but it holds far, far fewer people, the average technical skill is much lower, and in my opinion thereā€™s a much larger number of great and interesting things to come out of the western scene than the japanese one.

(My opinion is naturally formed by my social scene which is very close to the gaijin who started BitSummit because they desperately wanted the Japanese indie scene to be as vibrant as the western one, because we all grew up loving Japanese games)

2 Likes

You are literally the only person I have ever heard say this, please say more

1 Like

For all the fucking Nazis in the videogame space there is such a huge unmined reservoir of real, actual European history that could make incredibly rich material for games and they just keep ignoring it in preference to their fake idealized storybook white-identity history, which, I mean of course they do, but man

Any given game of Europa Universalis IV contains a thousand adventure games and RPGs and 3D brawlers and Mount & Blade clones within it

1 Like