The News Grandmaster 4000

Same. Is it just me, or are we seeing a fresh wave of “colonialism is cool” games?

2 Likes

It’s always been embedded in the PC sim genre and Steam has been very good at surfacing minor hits from PC space is all.

Or more simply, your consciousness of this has drastically changed in the last few years.

1 Like

That is very true.

Games like expeditions conquistador and its sequel are more value neutral and thus implicitly critical of colonialism. It just makes the player very complicit in evil

1 Like

as grreat as minecraft is, it’s weird how it’a dot heavy thematic tones of both colonialism and american rugged individualism, yet it’s still played and enjoyed by like, non-evil people

1 Like

does colonialism still apply when you’re the only person on the planet?

but you’re not! there’s those villages of guys pottering about going HRRMMM

and lots of ruins presumably made by their ancestors, that you can plunder for rare building materials and treasure

because colonialism and american rugged individualism is fun.

villagers are def one of my least favorite additions to minecraft

2 Likes

That brief window of time when Minecraft had just added villages and mines but not yet NPC villagers is probably the top LONELY GAME feeling I’ve ever felt exploring a game.

7 Likes

I’m honestly becoming fascinated with this colossal trainwreck of a game

like how

So does cert only mean something if you’re not an established publisher? How does this shit happen?

2 Likes

so y’know, it’s just fine! just gotta know how to start your console in safe mode and rebuild the data base, nbd

11 Likes

this has to just be a “the cooling on older PS4 is not adequate for a situation where both the CPU and GPU are pegged at 100% constantly, which otherwise never happens to this degree” situation, yeah?

because the PS4 really doesn’t like not shutting down cleanly and idk what else it can be

this makes me nostalgic for the PS2’s aggressively obtuse “sleep mode” which maybe was to have done something in the background but never did

you don’t get that kind of Sony engineering arrogance anymore

anthem, fallout 76, 666 murder murder jesus, the order 1886, all of these games are acts of violence against nature and the health/well-being of all living things

the fyre festival was like a reaching exploitation of workers and ja rule’s time. this is wasting god’s. enter the game waste

4 Likes

Convinced my ps3 60gb lasted as long as it did because the japanese ones would auto-shutoff if they got too hot.

odd
did anyone play this? legend of legacy was kinda nice

consoles these days are basically indistinguishable from shitty PCs. you get reasonable price/performance ratios from a pure muscle perspective, with crappy everything else. early on in a console’s life the price/performance is a good enough deal to make that viable, late in the life span you’re just sitting on a piece of garbage. next gen I don’t even know that the launch day price/performance is going to be all that compelling.

2 Likes

Overload, the Descent-like made by the original team via a Kickstarter, was released and it was pretty good. Not great, nothing new, but a good Descent game.

Revival, the company formed to create Descent, sent out a Kickstarter update about an hour ago informing everyone that sales haven’t been great, and while they’re going to release the planned multiplayer, that’s about it for the group:

We founded Revival and built a team to make Overload, not really planning to create a lasting company that would build more games. We wanted to have fun creating a spiritual successor to Descent, and we’re very happy with the results.

We’re gratified by Overload’s strong user reviews and we love the community that has formed around the game. Nonetheless, sales have been disappointing and can’t justify much additional work on the project.

We’re gratified by Overload’s strong user reviews and we love the community that has formed around the game. Nonetheless, sales have been disappointing and can’t justify much additional work on the project.

We’re still spending time on Overload, but most of us have moved on. Roughly half the full-time team members are now working at Volition. (Props to Chelsea and Ed who leveraged their Overload experience into Associate Producer positions!) Luke is back to working full-steam at Radian Games. (Check out Scorcher, coming any day now!) Matt is working on ideas for a new (game-related) project. Mike had planned on loafing for several months and then deciding what to do, but suddenly and unexpectedly found himself rejoining Volition as General Manager.

Sooo yeah, that’s that.