The News Grandmaster 4000

Well… are we talking official Tetris guideline, or Sega/Arika Tetris, or Nintendo Tetris, or…

The ideal form of Tetris from which all other Tetrises are descended.

I don’t think anyone plays Tetris anymore except a dedicated competitive group, it’s been totally supplanted in the play-and-go category by Candy Crush and similar phone games. Why bother lauding what is functionally now a historical note

Tetris doesn’t convert to touchscreens like Bejeweled (from which Candy Crush derived) did. I’d hardly put that against the game design, though.

That’s fine, but again, these Best Of lists which usually put Tetris in the top five applaud the game’s perfect simplicity, replayability, and ease of access, all of which don’t matter if it’s hardly being played anymore, unless the point of the list is, again, historically- rather than endurance-based

wtf everyone still plays tetris, i just played it YESTERDAY and i am not in some competitive thingy

I don’t think it’s useful to define “best” solely by objectively measurable factors like player count.

But it’s probably not useful to take a “best of” listing very seriously, either.

also polygon has hilariously bad taste

they rarely go harder on “p4k but for actual nerds” than this

A top 500 games list would only seem to exist to be able to publish a top games list while minimizing blowback, hate, and threats from Gamers.

What is the point of a list where you don’t talk about why it’s been placed where it has or what makes it genuinely special or interesting, but just kind of ramble off a couple bullet points from the first paragraph on Wikipedia and the back of the game’s box?

1 Like

Just once I wish someone would put something totally unexpected on the top of one of these dumb lists and then defend that choice as if everyone already knew it was true

Like, fuckin, of course Air Zonk is the greatest videogame ever made, what do you mean

6 Likes

If you put up an obscure untranslated Japanese game as Number One Best Game Ever According To Major Game Website, a fan translation project would probably happen. You have this power, list makers.

11 Likes

Puyo Puyo Tetris is the best game, yes

7 Likes

500 video games? Guess they made some real tough choices. Tremble with fear at the game that got left out.

500 games is a catalog not a list. Like that 1000 games to play before you die book (hi aerisdead!).

Anything of interest or critical value is lost in the other 400 fucking games.

The EGM issue 100 list is the only good list.

These things do have value because people/kids can use them as guidance on what of the 40,000 video games that exist to play.

Polygon:Bioshock is a good game.

2 Likes

I concede I have a private list of about 280 but it is unranked

1 Like

megaman 8 is the best megaman game. how come they just forgot about duo. why is megaman short again. is this a “classic sonic and modern sonic are brothers” thing

dr light had to reboot him after he got too tall

3 Likes

I guess that’s not as bad as I thought

Grum: ah, we would, of course, consider, something to that effect, possibly, in the future, if the stars align, perhaps, given the chance

Woodland Dracula: That quote is an exemplary case of femininity needing justification whereas masculinity is the pre-approved default, just like anything that is pitted against types of normativity. You need a 50,000 word manifesto on why videogame has black person

Grum: what’s the point of this character being a woman
what are you trying to pull

Woodland Dracula: Can’t get political

3 Likes

Anyway, Mega Man shouldn’t ever get another female robot master. I can’t think of a series that deserves female inclusivity less. It must forever remain the most generic platformer in the universe so I can continue to not care to the maximum