The News Grandmaster 4000

Can someone draw me diagrams explaining how I am to understand this shot’s framing.

3 Likes

I think she is just a giant leg attached to one giant breast that has a small head sticking out the top and a tiny arm.

Look if I lost all the video games i guess i will buy a vita and this game and then put the vita and this game in a coin locker in Shibuya station and take up knitting and two person garage rock.

6 Likes

Not sure if anyone posted this already, but someone released a new Game Boy game:

http://tangramgames.dk/tobutobugirl/

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s completely impossible for cramped mega man to work- supposedly the gameboy games iterated enough to get something decent by the end- but it was probably impossible on three months dev cycle.

anyway 11’s reveal looks boring because it’s been nine years of series revivals since 9 / three or five years since Minus Infinity and the art direction ever-echoing 8 is all that’s available to be discussed instead of “what have people been doing with formula / format since mega man went into cryogenic storage so many years ago”

by late 2018 mega man maker could reach maybe a third of the nes content and that’s a million times more interesting than non-MH capcom existing onwards anyways

2 Likes

It’s weird how trailers for a game like Mega Man 11 in 2017 now probably have development cycles that rival those of some of the original NES games.

3 Likes
1 Like

me: [weeping while looking at the side of a milk carton picturing Dragon’s Dogma and the words “Have you seen me?”]

2 Likes

I missed that this went to 1.0!

1 Like

Thought this was the completely official Namco x MS Paint Adventures dating sim somehow making a return at first. RIP ShiftyLook, hope you got paid.

1 Like

New Five Nights at Freddy’s is out and, as usual, is scary

There’s a possiblity that this game is brilliant but I’m not sure yet.

EDIT: It’s not the “frog fractions” twist that the game you are playing is not the game you thought you were playing, that’s not very interesting at all.

Nope, it’s the fact that you are managing a Fazbear restaurant and are therefore the one controlling how terrifying the place is to some extent. Essentially the more money something is worth to you, the more likely it is to kill you. I’m a big fan of games that force you to make these kinds of decisions, but I’m not sure if this particular design is going to work or not.

Anyway FNAF is a good series that does some interesting things

EDIT: I’m also in love with the badly rendered sprites and the constantly changing resolution, and the weird font choices.

1 Like

i will never forget dragon’s dogma

1 Like

I…had…the time of my life

1 Like

Dragon’s Dogma is all that matters.

1 Like

[https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/27/16158276/polygon-500-best-games-of-all-time-500-401]

“Ico is Occam’s Razor of video games”.

Jesus.

No.

This whole list is painful. And the top 100, at least, is the most predictable consensus you could ever ask for.

I’m not even particularly worked up by the names in the list because I’ve given up on your average games journalist actually playing games, but even as a writing piece those are some really awful write-ups for each game, embarrassingly so. Yikes.

I mean, look at this:

“Thief: The Dark Project rests in the pantheon of classic Looking Glass games. The first in the Thief series, The Dark Project helped popularize the idea of moral ambiguity in games, allowing players, if they choose, to forgo violence altogether in favor of simply reaching their objective. This idea would be adopted ad nauseum by games that followed.”

So stealth adds moral ambiguity to the game? :smiley: Adopted ad nauseum, really?

And in the subsequent write-up, we get this

“Similar to The Dark Project, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords presented players with a moral grayness, allowing them to choose whether to play on the light or dark side. The Sith Lords was noted for its tight story, as well as presenting a wholly new Star Wars story influenced by the actions of the player.”

They might as well have written the next blurb as

“One of the finer golf games of all time, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 was the first in the series to actually feature The Masters Tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia, introducing unprecedented moral complexity to the sports genre. This inclusion gave players the chance to live out a real golf season headlined by the sport’s ultimate real-world competition.”

6 Likes

Yeah, I can’t be too upset about the completely unchallenging conventional wisdom consensus that structures the list. But the blurbs are tragic. Might as well have just thrown up a text list.

1 Like

If you are contractually obliged to pick a Best Game Ever it might as well be Tetris

If there’s yet to be a selectbuttese takedown of Tetris now is your damn chance

2 Likes