The News Grandmaster 4000

Some of the level and enemy designs on 10 were kinda lazy. I seem to remember really digging the Wily stages (and accompanying music) though.

Since I’ve played through both, though, I’ve only ever returned for 10 for the endless mode while I occasionally play a level or two of 9.

Do these games still do the boss rush at Final Level shit

SIGH. yes

This is a good thread about 2.5D platformer aesthetics and how this one has some problems.

EDIT: I think I like this a little more than mcc does. The most egregious part is that first one with the pyramid background. But this is broadly applicable to the visual clusterfuck that most 2.5D platformers are. Really respond to the point about overdone effects.

1 Like

It’d be cool if someone made an Xrd-style “2.5D” platformer. Interplated 3D doesn’t feel great for crisp platformers like Mega Man.

Mega Man Powered Up was alright.

The perspective viewpoint is my main gripe for side-view 2.5D because it makes distances harder to judge.

I think I do an automatic switch in cognition when I see 2D platforming and 3D platforming from “the physics/collision is all developer-created so they have complete and precise control of how that works” in 2D

to “I can’t shake the feeling that you’re relying at least a little bit on a physics/collision system that isn’t yours even if you made your own engine” in 3D

like the amount of work it takes to make anything in 3D means that you’re always going to be at some point fudging it or leaving it to something else to handle and I do not think I can get on with that in a mega man game

2 Likes

Arc System Works already attempted a Contra-style game with mixed results, so I don’t personally feel the game would benefit too much from that standpoint. Then again, I don’t really know anything about anything.

the game looks good, actually

Their Contra-in-all-but-name was 2D sprites on 3D stages; Xrd is a whole different beast, and the Xrd/Dragonball Fighterz look is what people are talking about when they say “like ASW” now.

1 Like

That’s one of the advantages of the Xrd approach – distinct, deliberate frames of animation with hand-tuned collision boxes (which you can run separately from whatever collision system is baked into the engine).

I think it looks fine.

I agree that the animation is a little janky, and there’s some issues with color on that pyramid shot, but otherwise… So what? This is the game Mighty No 9 backers thought they were going to get.

Also I notice that the ‘3d’ part is actually very minimal for the stages themselves. Objects have very little ‘depth’ relative to the camera.

1 Like

Which is why they made X I guess who had a bit of his own thing going on. I always dug the new Mega Man for the new hardware angle, might have been neat if they had continued that and then MM7 came along and oh well.

1 Like

MM7 also switches to disastrously-large sprites that kill any ability to build momentum and are probably a factor in the rather simplistic enemy patterns.

Given how good MMX is, it’s easy to imagine MM7 was a b-team working on scraps.

guys

what in the fuck is the mega man star force series?

2 Likes

shh shh shh shh no baby it’s okay no shh go back to sleep

3 Likes

This came up on an unrelated search but the game adaption of Steins;gate’s writer’s light novel series came out while we were partying at SBCon it…sure is something based on just the boxart I am hiding behind spoilers for jugz that can not be hidden.

look everyone I was just trying to find the tracklisting for a Sega Saturn Soundtrack CD and this fell into my eyes, I can’t escape the path I made. also lord don’t go looking around play-asia (I mean, also don’t shop there either.) There is also no way in fucking hell I am playing this.

1 Like

star force is the lackluster followup to the battle network series

it’s THREE DEE in that it gives you a camera angle from behind your navi instead except you have less room to move so honestly the game is simpler/less interesting

what is it that it isn’t on vgmdb or segaretro?

two years from now there will be a hinge problems about how this game is the shit as long as you overlook the giant floating anime titty

4 Likes