The News Grandmaster 4000

“I was rejected from the vampire clan for not having a symmetrical enough face”

4 Likes

look as far as I know Danes are just all vampires

New Survival Adventure game from Nippon Ichi X Acquire with a title I am going to translate as Day Out During The End Of The World.

10 Likes

my experience with godot was limited but very positive. it is in fact probably easier to make 2D games in it than it is in unity. the biggest issue it has that keeps people away is lack of console support.

1 Like

JUMP FORCE got released with the Unreal project file sitting among its files somehow

EDIT: Apparently this is not actually that big of a deal and not the entire game uncompiled like I got the impression of.

2 Likes

This makes me so fucking livid

1 Like

siege just updated everyone who had starter edition to full, so the unlock prices of the non-DLC characters just dropped dramatically, I was able to get all but 5 of them with what I already had saved up

1 Like

This hit a friend’s studio today; Z2, now King Seattle or some such. Everyone’s been out of work for days because of snow, studio will be locked after today, no advance notice.

Mobile F2P has been mature for a long time and we’re well inti contraction and consolidation. The hits to Blizzard and Activision are in areas now maturing: esports and streaming support, areas where everyone hired up to get in on an unknown-sized opportunity. Now it’s mature enough that people are seeing winners and losers and they’re shutting down speculative ventures.

We could use a new shiny tech change to chase, as that always loosens the floodgates of dumb money and devs get the jobs.

1 Like

Is that free-to-play hype cycle why Activision’s stock price doubled over the last 2 years and then suddenly halved in the last 3 months? I assume that has something to do with the layoffs?

Stock prices are not something I track or have a working memory of but I’d assume it to be:

• Overewatch’s massive success than supersession by Fortnite
  • King’s continued strength in the stagnant mobile F2P market
  • no, actually, Overwatch might be enough to explain any movement like that. Did Activision engage in buybacks to boost prices with the 2017 tax cut like a lot of companies? A lot of that is bound to just be tracking general market swings.

Sure, but when you’re talking about contemporary-era Silicon Valley Venture Capital funded-companies, the percentage of them that got vultured into ruining their products post-IPO is nearly 100%. The only hope is that Unity’s terms allow them to retain control of their company, but that depends on a variety of factors (how wealthy the founders & major investors want to be, Unity’s current profit, Unity’s projected profit, their current debt load, etc).

2 Likes

if Apple and Nvidia are anything to go by it’s 90% down to Chinese speculation crashing

2 Likes

Is there a good number on how indebted Unity is to VC money? They made a lot of small-ish acquisitions but I don’t know how that relates to their revenue stream, which I think is fairly large.

So your read is that they couldn’t find a buyer and are going to publicly traded to facilitate the VC exit?

From the little I’ve read it’s this. Actiblizz made money hand over fist, but not arm over leg, which wasn’t good enough for the stockholders, who peaced out to slightly better ROIs

It’s not like a tiny percentage of profits couldn’t be used to keep all these people employed, but

4 Likes

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
9 Likes

I think it’s resonable at this point to declare this my 2019 goty

5 Likes

link’s awakening remake coming 2019

idk how I feel about it. its visual style is like super cutesy, which maybe seems to miss the point but I mean I’ll keep an open mind.

4 Likes

i cannot believe they announced a tetris battle royale game

4 Likes