The News Grandmaster 4000

Above, never actually beat Barkley 1 :frowning:

Barkley 2 has my $20, but Titanfall 3, that had my hope.

(Anyway cornball mourning aside, the more I watch of this game the more it looks OK, but seeing as I can rarely play stuff squad style it’s kinda null and void anyhow)

1 Like

I imagine from EA’s point of view if there is like a 20% chance that this game gains 1/3rd the audience of Fortnite, it was worth the investment.

1 Like
1 Like

jeez

DubiousTag on Origin if anyone wants to squad up for Radical Heights 2 Apex Legends; gonna post impressions after some hours.

The logic of a thousand World of Warcraft follow-one

and a million FarmVilles

and a billion FlappyBirds

EA should be smart enough now to know they can’t capture a piece of that; I read Battle Royale modes in Battlefield and Call of Duty and Counter Strike: GO more as defensive, to guard against erosion if it’s The True Future of Shooters

But I don’t see any other way to read this Respawn project,

1 Like

There’s some hindsight bias in your argument. We now know WoW was “the final” MMO, but that was not self-evident at the time and might not even have been true if Blizzard hadn’t been able to sustain the pace of expansions.

Here’s an article from 2 years ago claiming PubG is the WoW of battle royales:

1 Like

Otoh, this game doesn’t have janky building mechanics, runs at a consistent FPS, doesn’t have massive server lag, and the shooting feels good. The UI is slick and streamlined, and it provides a ton of nice communication shortcuts. Technically and mechanically it seems significantly better than PUBG or Fortnite.

I just wish there was something compelling about it! The abilities are sort of cool, but not really groundbreaking. And I’m not sure forcing 3 person squads qualifies as an innovation. Maybe it’ll be interesting eventually as they enhance it over time?

Honestly it might be too slick? The rough edges are actually pretty charming in PUBG, at least they were for a while.

I’ve won 3 out of the 5 games I’ve played; I don’t remember everyone being so bad at FPSes.

2 Likes

This immediately makes me think of PUBGMobile and secret bots.

5 Likes

there are so many of these

Counterstrike is doing it, Housemarque is doing it, Call of Duty is doing it

This trend is going to consume what, like, two years and as many midsize studios?

5 Likes

i wonder if when whatever critical mass of twelve year olds discover just how lame fortnight is it will take all of streaming down with it

2 Likes

I’d endorse this game 100% if it had Titans. I’d probably even settle for wall running and air jumping, tbh.

1 Like

This is fair but I am pretty sure that both Titanfalls also pissed a lot of money away. Making a battle royal game at this point feels like a questionable business move, but really their next game should have been something different anyways if their intention was to at some point actually make money.

2 Likes

Upon reflection, given that nobody cared about Titanfall anyway, setting this in the Titanfall universe is the most questionable move. They’re already having to explain about why no Titans, and the explanation is approximately “since we needed balance, we decided to throw out the joy”

3 Likes

The uncomfortable answer is, “so we can reuse art direction, concepts, worldbuilding, maybe even assets”

3 Likes

“does this spark balance?”

4 Likes

Battle Royale: After the Titanfall of Man

I’m gonna try to be very positive about this extremely worrying product because I don’t want Respawn Entertainment to die

FUCK YOU EA YOU’RE SUCH AN UGLY LABEL

at this point, Respawn is making EA’s only single-player Star Wars game, as far as we’re aware. They’re safe enough for at least two cycles of it as long as it’s not a disaster (6-7 years?)

it’s just a hd remake of yoda stories

15 Likes