The News Grandmaster 4000

Extremely conflicted about Apex Legends but a) it’s free and b) you can play as the chappie with an emoticon on its chest like a teletubby so I’m in.

Can’t decide if deadpan quoting Titanfall’s cheesiest shonen-ass line of dialogue is a sign that the tone won’t be awful.

no idea how this is supposed to be anything more than pissing money away but oh well, I sure got a lot of enjoyment out of titanfall 2

Schreier at Kotaku said this was a stopgap because post-acquisition someone decided their Source fork was too dated and they needed to move Titanfall 3 to a new engine. Very concerning for that game, but hopefully this one lands some kind of audience and EA doesn’t claim two victims this year.

parsing that statement makes me keenly aware of how seldom I expect people who have delivered a game I like to deliver another one

like it’s somehow incubating in people’s minds from that point forward

Frostbite forever.

sure, why not?

except TF2 already looked fantastic especially with the textures cranked all the way up but frostbite seems perfectly capable

running like ~8GB of textures seems to go a long way in general, I always thought SUPER HIGH RES TEXTURE PACKS looked gross back when it was like, 2GB of textures on DX9 models, but it’s consistently good looking in modern games

I remember a story from when Need For Speed moved to Frostbite, where apparently playable entities need a “gun” object assigned to them to be valid, so…

… there’s a Need for Speed where all the cars technically have guns.

It’s hilarious to me that “gun” would be hard-coded into an engine as a requirement.

3 Likes

it must’ve gotten better since then, the recent FIFAs are really great

Whoops.

6 Likes

I mean I think the main problem with their value proposition at this point then is that their pitch to their existing audience is now “if you liked our last game, this is almost certainly a little worse, but we sure did make it!” and their pitch to a new audience is “we, too, have made fortnite” and neither of those are super compelling

at least siege continues to be bafflingly well-managed and the new doom looks like it’s for real

1 Like

I definitely experienced this from the side of a player who’s been a real head from the first beta in February 2014. The demo/free weekend/beta periods are just regular players running circles around the fresh blood and (probably) turning them off. They had to take out the parkour and snowballing kill streaks to make it work for this audience.

I can report that it still feels good and feels like MW!

and the multi isn’t outsourced this time, got a bit of a froth on

Hoo boy wow that’s some real awful bummer news to wake up to.

Guess I’ll download this thing and play it but, uh, damn. Lemme scrawl Titanfall 3 next to Sunset Overdrive 2 on my little crushed dreams game list.

(Guess this is where I either hope people flock back to Titanfall 2 or finally take the time to learn Siege? Oh well.)

1 Like

Looking at people playing it on Twitch and it sure looks like all the guns and shooting from Titanfall 2 with all the “crouch in a bush or next to a rock and pick people off from as far away as possible while popping health syringes as the circle closes” that’s as far from Titanfall 2’s pace as I can imagine.

Welp.

I wouldn’t discount it based on the pacing. The whole point of BR is the withholding of excitement. That sounds negative, but it’s probably the genre’s best positive. See: stealth games

I wonder how much this is EA hoping to get a Battle Royale followup ASAP by asking multiple teams to do it, anticipating delays (Battlefield’s hasn’t launched yet, right? I heard it underperformed this year but I haven’t heard an explanation other than “consumer sentiment towards EA” which, ??? Compared to who, Activision?). I didn’t see them funding Titanfall 3 in any circumstance, and Source really is very creaky these days, despite TF2’s timeless art direction.

Respawn is also working on a Star Wars game which definitely has single-player, and newly split studios have a habit of calling resources back to go all-in on an important project (and with the death of B games, they’re all make-or-break projects).

3 Likes

Above or below Barkley 2?