The News Grandmaster 4000

I just pirated it for my hacked Wii and so should everyone else

1 Like

I ain’t got time to hack no Wii

Besides, you know what those WiiMote need? AA batteries. Do I look wealthy enough to afford AA batteries to you?

1 Like

https://buy.mundfish.com/
2 Likes

Metroid Prime 1 is my favorite way to play Super Metroid

5 Likes

Metroid Prime 1 has an amazing first third, an okay middle, and an atrocious last third. I hated it so much that I stopped playing and watched the rest of the game on YouTube (I played it for the first time last year).

I never played the second. The only thing I remember from the third is the cool sky palace planet, and also the fact that it really felt like they wanted to make something that wasn’t Metroid.

4 Likes

I do remember thinking that having the wrecked ship, even if it wasn’t its own zone, was a bit much

1 Like

I am sad the new Housemarque is a Battle Royale because it means they are probably going to go out of business soon. At least it looks more interesting than most.

Really sad Nex Machina didn’t do well for them, it’s one of my favourite arcade games in years.

3 Likes

I think I agree, though maybe I don’t feel it that strenuously (as we’ve established I’m not overly concerned with 5+ hour games sticking the ending), but the core of exploration and combat and world construction works a lot better for me than Super Metroid; once we’ve made the concession that the world is no longer all that hostile or mazelike I think the richness of Metroid Prime’s production is an asset.

And yeah, Metroid Prime 2 appears unclear of what it wants to be and only barely squeaks by through doubling down on level design, absent of context; the mechanics get into squirrelly complex nooks that give them problems to solve but aren’t asked for or elegant in any way.

I thought the last third was fine but definitely saddled by the increase in “action” oriented stuff that didn’t fit the engine very well.

Prime 2 was basically an entire game of that, minus any magic that the first had.

2 Likes

This is the only time the Prime series actually felt like Metroid, to me. The rest just felt like “what would a generic bargain-bin me-too action game based on a non-gamer’s first impressions of the Halo box art look like?”

1 Like

Sure, it was spatial complexity – the stacked light/dark world and circuitous routes – but when that’s combined with an automap and roughly nonthreatening world it feels more tedious to me.

Yeah, I can see that, and I think that’s the problem they were trying to solve by making the beams have limited ammo, but I don’t recall ever having ammo problems at any point in the game, so maybe they could have balanced that a little better

Champion was extremely good, they overhauled the right stick punching to make it more nuanced, it was the first of EA’s sports game story mode experiments and quite a good one, and they sold all the different game modes individually on PSN for like $5-10 each so if you only wanted the story and the basic local multi like me it was super cheap.

Anyway I tried this newest RPCS3 build and it’s a huge improvement but due to threading issues audio is a disaster on a machine with fewer than 6 cores. Everything else pretty much works though – any game that’s not a noted PS3 technical showcase works at its native framerate and at as high a resolution as you want with only minor fluctuations – so I hope that’s fixable as the codebase matures

2 Likes

This is my Original Observation copyright Me do not steal

also the charged wave beam was useless but looked cool as hell

I remember pasting a couple pirates on that first approach into the mines where there’s no save until you get the power bombs and then being extremely out of ammo but it was worth it

maybe it was technically more useful than not in the final boss fight? but definitely not otherwise

Retro Studios has almost entirely cycled through staff since the original Metroid Prime right? I feel like even back during Prime 2 and 3 they’d already lost a few key folks behind the original.

I’ve heard very promising things about Tropical Freeze, and the idea of a company with a track record of taking older game designs and remixing them is probably perfect for making a new Metroid at this point, honestly.

yeah I was gonna say I don’t think anyone at all is left, if it wasn’t a new company in 2009 it definitely is now

Plus new Doom was already a pretty good heir to metroid prime, certainly the closest there’s been

why does it have to be “metroid prime 4” though, give us a new vision

give us a super sentai crossover sponsored by haim saban

it’s morphin’ ball

unskippable cutaway to kraid and ridley charging down some mountains in the middle of nowhere every time you use it

3 Likes

the last franchise is in captivity

6 Likes