The News Grandmaster 4000

plot twist of the month
or
alternate punchline

Metroid Rising: Revengeance

1 Like

this is bad news because the last two metroid prime games were such duds

I was looking forward to seeing how nintendo would approach it in house.

5 Likes

Yeah, this is disappointing. Nintendo has been so capable lately with their first party titles that I was looking forward to seeing how they might re-envision Metroid for the Switch. Looks like we’re going to get another mediocre FPS about all of Samus’s walmart DVD bargain bin bounty hunter friends.

And then in 10 years we’ll all be looking at videos of leaked Metroid Prime 4 beta builds from when it was still with Nintendo and it’ll turn out to look completely amazing and we’ll all wonder what could have been.

3 Likes

im gonna go on a tangent here but there was never any hope for nitnendo to do a good metroid in house.

looking at zelda, ninte do’s had dozens of chances to get it wrong under anouma who always knew that zelda needed to be more since working on Twilight Princess. the series director and RND team for skyward sword was a king of the Weird Zelda handheld games and halfway hit the mark with skyward sword.

likewise the mario team and director got to junp off after galaxy with the sequel and the 3D World games, learning exactly what to do and how to hit the mark

Nintendo hasn’t had a first party Metroid since fusion. while that game was excellent, they havent properly handled the series since then preferring to let othr developers take a shot at it who all missed wildly. nintendo generally 5ries to bring their own magic so they knew in our age of Dead Cells and Bloodstained they probably couldnt do a tried and true lock-em-up (thats the canon name for a metroidvania, see SelectButton Issue #137)

i mean prime 1 is really good but was the perfect storm of influences and design coming together on a console thst was not traditional FPS friendly

they went into Prime 4 not knowing what direction I bet the same way they never dod a Metroid 64

To the surprise of no one who has paid attention, the gamers at my office are super hyped for Retro to get this back because “all the prime games are so good” and…huh. OK.

1 Like

I’m at work, so I haven’t had a chance to view the video yet…

however, I loved Metroid Prime 1 and 3 (never got a chance to play 2) so the idea of having Retro take the helm again isn’t a bad thing as far as I can tell.

Did folks not like the Prime series?

IIRC wasn’t Prime 4 being developed by some non-disclosed non-Retro external team (rumored to be from Bandai-Namco)? I don’t think it was ever an internal joint.

I’m fairly confident that Retro can make a game better than Prime 2/3 with the benefit of 11 years of foresight. The only thing I’m worried about is what direction Tanabe wants to take the project.

3 Likes

Retro went from a middling Donkey Kong game to a great one so it’s not like they’re incapable of learning. I don’t feel too strongly in either direction other than being bummed it’s going to be even longer before we get to play this.

I really did not like 2 or 3 much at all. 2 had good boss battles but the actual design was overly linear and the story was just equally cringey and dull

I don’t remember anything about 3 except badly voiced npcs, and all the game areas were just disconnected zones, and there was like a “steampunk” styled area that was the only memorable place.

3 Likes

“You can just play with the starter costumes and not unlock the more sexy ones, and you will definitely have a less sexist experience.”

2 Likes

Isn’t that the model for like America’s puritanism?

3 Likes

“less sexist experience” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

A director straight up saying his game is sexist and that you can adjust the extent of its sexism is stunningly brazen.

4 Likes

Games were a mistake.

1 Like

I’d actually really like to see the original Japanese for what Shimbori said.

1 Like

I hope they integrate this into the difficulty ranks as well:

• light sexism
  • normal sexism
  • professional sexism (unlocked after beating normal sexism)
  • give me dead or alive
17 Likes

I’m too young to sexism
hey, not too sexist
sexism me plenty
ultra sexism
sexist nightmare

17 Likes

The defining innovation of the next decade of gaming will be a “sexism” slider tucked into the settings menu right between “invert y-look” and the blood splatter toggle.

2 Likes

dead or alive 2 had that

The only real deciding ingredient in the alchemy of game development is finally “continuity of franchise maintenance”