The News Grandmaster 4000

don’t even do anything, just release Advance Wars 1 and 2 on Switch as a combined game, add online multiplayer and map sharing…done?

I dunno, I know this is like entitled gamer crap of “it should be easy!!” and I know it’s not, what I’m really saying is that I think a re-release of the first 2 games with a few nice features should sell pretty damn well without having to come up with anything new RE: mechanics.

Advance Wars DS was a great example of how trying to add new mechanics to the formula of Advance Wars just makes it Bad, and it was definitely tired at that point but like

just release the first games cowards

4 Likes

advance wars needs to be a mobipe strategy game that randomly puts you in wars with other people who have the game on their phone you walk past

1 Like

Yeah the Dual Strike mechanic was extremely busted. Say what you will about the style change but for the most part I thought Days of Ruin was a good step towards returning to form.

“exhausted” is definitely an apt characterization of how I felt about dual strike, didn’t play the other one

1 Like

LET
ME
DATE
GRIT

Started playing Advance Wars on my RetroPi a couple days ago so this is a prodigious thread.

1 Like

Sure, a remake/rerelease with online multiplayer is a good package

:[ Mostly just want things to work out for Lash and her dad, Hawke.

3 Likes

Advance Wars With Friends w/ fully asynchronous multiplayer

8 Likes

WTF!!

I’m the weirdo who ONLY played the two DS Advance Wars games. I loved them, a lot! I guess I don’t know what I’m missing. I should emulate the GBA ones.

2 Likes

I hate days of ruin so much. Like, stripping Advance Wars back to basics is a good idea, especially after the first DS one, but wow it was so grimdark and I couldn’t take it seriously. Green fields, orange blue yellow and green soldiers, dumb plots to destroy the world, nobody cares how many soldiers are dying because it’s all in good fun…this is what I want!!!

OSB: I dunno how it would feel going backwards, but I do think that the first game is the pinnacle of the series just based on how balanced it is. The endgame also comes much sooner, and the CO powers, while unbalanced, are still less impactful than they were in the DS one, which is basically Race To See Who Can Do Their Dual Strike First.

5 Likes

Yeah… the tactical gameplay in Days of Ruin is fine, sometimes better than AW DS, but I don’t remember a single thing about that video game. Lord if it isn’t the most bland, washed-out, lifeless military slog of a game.

In Dual Strike you’d have a mission where you had to navigate a weird max of ooze balls to rescue some bratty team rocket goons. In another mission you had like a maze of pipes and needed to reach the heart of a megatank-production facility. You did a lot of varied, bizarre, cartoony things in that game that broke up the killin’ which I enjoyed.

The fact that they don’t know what to do with the AW property boggles my mind, but considering what Days of Ruin turned out to be, I’m just going to assume that whatever people were involved in AW1, AW2, and AW DS left the company or something before DoR came out.

If there’s one thing worth remembering about DoR it’s the hilarious buttrock soundtrack.

Click Click Boom

4 Likes

God, the soundtrack to this game was so bizarre.

I think the only one I kinda liked was the Power Up theme, and that’s only because it was the closest to becoming an AW DS song:

4 Likes

Dang this music rules.

3 Likes

the main way of doing Advance Wars DS is trying to beat the smallest map in as few turns as possible imo

heads up, skate 3 now works in RPCS3 and arms is only a shader cache away from working in yuzu

also, this wasn’t even booting a couple months ago and I’ve been waiting forever

Wasn’t the PS3 version missing a lot of effects from the 360 version? Or was it just resolution/framerate issues that you’re gonna brute force past?

not sure if you mean skate or fight night but (unlike earlier installments) those were both released at the point when EA’s PS3 and 360 codebases were finally at parity

Fight Night 3. Was it just that they released a demo of it and then shipped it a lot later?

oh wait that’s Champion. What’s that all about

The game takes a drastic turn from its predecessors, depicting a “grittier”, “darker” setting with animations and player damage that “truly conveys the brutality of the sport of boxing.”[ citation needed ] The violence and strong language in the game’s story mode earned it a Mature rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board, the first and so far the only EA Sports title to do so.

huh