The News Grandmaster 4000

When I saw Just Cause 4 was coming out I decided to try Just Cause 3 again. I bought it a few years ago on Felix’s recommendation but it kept crashing a lot. It still crashed once but has mostly been fine, and I feel like I’ve time traveled to a bygone era of video games. I haven’t played much if any open world game in a long time (I can think of Horizon and MGS5 but not much else) and I forgot just how theme park-y open world games used to be (still are?).

It’s kind of immediately off putting because it feels like no matter how many systems these kind of games can have, much of the game is playing mini-games revolving around a single mechanic rather than building content around a holistic design. There are the main story quests where you’re assaulting these oppressed towns but if I want to unlock any new abilities I have to play the wingsuit mini-game, the helicopter minigame, etc. I don’t want to play any of that. I want to play Just Cause 3.

That was also my main problem with Saints Row 3. I was blown away by the immense variety of situations you’re put through in the first three or four opening missions only to find out every 5 minute segment from those missions were actually just tutorials for every type of mini-game. None of the missions after those were anywhere near as interesting and instead it was like I was only allowed to eat one chicken nugget at a time instead of swallowing four or five at once like a normal person.

2 Likes

This is the funniest thing I’ve heard in ages

MAMOTTE KNIGHT COMING TO SWITCH WITH ONLINE MULTI YEAAAHHHH

3 Likes

i played around with playnite for a bit and it seems to do exactly this pretty decent. you need to give it logins if you want things you don’t have installed to show up, tho

hmmmmm

Hope this is great, hope Capy doesn’t suffer the same diminishing returns in our modern age as Supergiant, Gaijin (now Choice Provisions), and all the rest of the second-age indie cohort I used to know.

I worry about them.

2D indie Souls game with minimal aesthetic was a lot more interesting when I played it in 2013 and was immediately jealous next to our game; to me, this no longer represents a game I need because it’s a new space, but a good version of what it wants to be. Does that make sense? I’m worried this will be the tired yet excellent Last Guardian to the Shadow of the Colossus I thought it was five years ago.

6 Likes

fallout 76 launch is an incredible tragicomedy

15 Likes

holy shit

That patch actually sounds like the kind of living world Destiny always wanted to be. I hope the game radically changes accidentally every other week. They can justify it by retconning the game into a VR simulation within the Fallout world.

2 Likes

fyre fest 76

4 Likes

ja rule - i don’t want to set the world on fire

this looks cool

4 Likes

Same, I’m glad it’s coming out but I feel like the further it’s gotten in development the less compelling I’ve found their con demos

As soon as gathering all the herbs and crafting became a thing, it just seemed a lot less interesting

I wanted it all to be small and removed, a god deigning to nudge this tiny thing into heroics for its own amusement

8 Likes

I’m sorry, did you just say gathering herbs and crafting?

Cancel your calendars folks, sounds to me like we’ve got a game of the year coming out here

9 Likes

Damn

2 Likes

“what if Fallout, but slightly less dirty?”

keep reaching for the stars guys

1 Like

Kinda feels “what if borderlands but an actual RPG” which kinda works for me.

2 Likes

the setting feels… OK for how obviously marketable it is. I’m really curious to find out if deadfire was a fluke.

1 Like

Strong indications that Obsidian’s leadership has wanted to make a play as a AAA console developer for years now and get out of the A CRPG budget territory. I believe this is the root of Avellone’s disgruntlement.

1 Like