The News Grandmaster 4000

i wonder if it’ll bomb or be an explosive success

12 Likes

The last thing we need is more of Samsung’s bad ideas to catch on in the mainstream

squeenix cancelled episode aranea and episode noctis and all future dlc for ffxv sp

2 Likes

what why

the compamy performed poprly last year sp they moved all of the ffxv staff to a new wing to make a new triple a game. no comment from the director yet, just corporate jargon about synergy and monetizing the future

this sucks cuz i was really looking forward to episode aranea but i guess ill just read some doujins err somethin’

ffxv will leave this world like it came in
unfinished

1 Like

tragic and fitting. really wondering what the director will say about this though

EDIT: oh looks like Hajima Tabata left the company

1 Like

i was just coming here to post that
well, what’s the game industry version of welcome to the resistance

is it

kickstarter

i hope inafune is reading this

2 Likes

sooo~ooo, SQEX decides to take on more risk by putting manpower towards a new triple-A title?

Like the hugely Code Age-Series? Wait a minute…

… Yupp, that makes total sense!

I was planning on getting next year’s Note. Now I hope it will be foldable like this

Previews are rollin’ out for the Playstation Classic and hoo boy, it sounds messy.

Though it also sounds like it’s running on the guts of the Vita/Vita TV, so maybe there’s some hacking potential there.

Weird flex but okay

6 Likes

Expected percent of players who bought base game who will play DLC released at 3 months post-launch, of a single-player game: 10%

6 months: 5-6%

9 months: is anyone still here?

DLC for single-player is normally thought of as paying off debt. The sales all came from Deluxe Editions bought before or at launch, when hype was highest. Few of those who bought DLC end up playing it.

Evidently Square hoped the multiplayer and long communication of content dumps would make FFXV a ‘live’ game, which is the acknowledged only way to sustain $100m+ development, but, uh, that was silly. Now they’re acknowledging the reality that less than 5% of players who bought FFXV would buy these $10m+ drops.

It wouldn’t have been a crazy plan if FFXV was 10 years good and crushed every game, but I doubt even Sony’s first parties could make profit on DLC released a year+ out (although Naughty Dog seems ok with long-delay expansion packs–but they get retail shelf space for those, and a high price point).

9 Likes

Are they basically alone in that? I’ve always preferred that model aesthetically and I’m curious just how anachronistic it is.

1 Like

Is this game part FMV? I thought I’d become immune to uncanny valley sometime over the last 5 years. But everything I’ve seen of Quiet Man cranks the uncanny valley into overdrive for me.

1 Like

Curious what conclusions will be when people get to really go deep in with the thing. As I understood it the PSP PS1 emulator (which is all the Vita ever was running) is pretty much the best official one out there even beating what the PS3 had. This because parts of PS1 code could be run natively on the PSP’s hardware which is why it got so many slightly enhanced PS1 game ports made for it.

So if that’s the case then the emulation itself should be just fine?

1 Like

phew, that are some tough numbers, yeah!

… and tbh, count me in for those 80%+ of people who almost never plunk down cash for DLCs.
otoh, if that means games that are done™ are 0.5% more likely to happen, hey, i’ll be the last to complain!

1 Like

I have a sealed Steam copy waiting for a late woozy Bumpass night…

3 Likes

Hmm, Firaxis with Civ and XCOM, Paradox, Creative Assembly with Total War? Makes sense for them because people play them like multiplayer games, returning frequently.

Half-Life Episodes

1 Like

If Kotaku is to be believed, it’s running off an open source emulator, which would be even more baffling.