The News Grandmaster 4000

I hope clowning the main character for his embarrassing mid life crisis makeover is a plot device

3 Likes

RUINER isn’t yet old enough to need a 16-bit demake lol

3 Likes

I need to play RUINER some more (and with a mouse because controller aim really doesn’t work) because it’s as good as it is bad. In that it feels like a more alive and contemporary cyberpunk than other modern reimaginings, but it brings that modern internet ugly with it.

It’s got a pulse

1 Like

This is like, an infinity better version of an ex-cop

5 Likes

a post-Dreamcast day gift for me

5 Likes

still based on the conservative fantasia of ‘defense attorney gets client off who then murders again’, so it grates on me after ‘secretly cartoon about Yakuza who spends most of their time collecting cats from trees instead of collecting debts’

1 Like

That is some good-ass music

meanwhile

I’m sure I’m being fooled by a trailer but that looks like some surprisingly organic interaction with the terrain

1 Like

You mean the beast mounting and scrambling on terrain? It doesn’t look worlds away from the Last Guardian’s tech to me; since this is a giant monster they can ignore trying to make it react to any player attacks while doing these canned animations, which helps a lot.

Agreed but it’s something of a step in the right direction

Oh man, more Lethal League with Jet Set aesthetics seems perfect.

Yeah, it’s interesting how the art direction and world building is a little better than what was depicted in the trailer while the writing is far, far worse. And even with the post-launch gameplay tweaks it’s not a very good arena shooter/brawler. Just put it on easy and enjoy the world for four hours. Honestly you can engage with the gamefeel better when you’re not constantly getting stuck on world geometry and one-shotted.

1 Like

I really wish devolver’s producers weren’t
 obviously kind of bad at their jobs, because the risks they take are so admirable

1 Like

This fuckin sucks

1 Like

I don’t have first-hand knowledge but I’m extremely doubtful Devolver has any real creative say in their games; they may produce trailers along with the rest of marketing but the real job is signing games formed enough within their aesthetic. From their they check out the game every few months; weekly phone calls in the couple months before launch as a million and one marketing assets need to change hands and store launches need to be finalized. I don’t know if they provide QA support but I doubt it, unless they do ports for teams.

I’m not familiar with Devolver’s internals, but the number of games that they’ve released that would have gone from a C+ to an A- with another month or two of funding is heartbreaking to count. It also seems like they don’t provide much/any post-launch support which is a shame because we’ve seen plenty of indie games pick up steam as they’ve received post-launch polish.

1 Like

I don’t think a broad spectrum of indies have learned how to turn around soft launches, or even successful launches with an angry player base. We’ve had enough success stories to show that this long-form community co-development is very good at generating word-of-mouth that I’d hope people would start to budget for it, but –

You can predict a non-AAA game’s success level 95% of the time by looking at YouTube official trailer views. If it’s not viral there it’s unlikely to be viral as a released game. These days views >20k seem to be the threshold for ‘probably a massive failure but a small chance of getting picked up by someone’; below that is ‘almost certainly a valiant but futile stand against the universe’s slide towards entropy’.

2 Likes

nah, this is a boilerplate tv drama plot they’re going for here. it’ll be dead fucking serious with its full blown japanese naivety and earnestness.

actually

they are just copying this

i am cautiously optimistic, since the gameplay loop looks even more scripted than in Yakuza and we’re gonna have a bunch of tailing missions.

Judge Eyes was on Prime Time J-News

1 Like