The Comic Book: The TV Show: The Thread

IDK I’m liking Iron Fist. Not loving it. It has the weakest start which I’m seeing is really putting people off. But I think people have overlooked some of the weakest aspects of the other Superhero stuff cuz this is way better than any of the stupid superhero movies.
But as @Sleazy has pointed out.

Tell me it wouldn’t be better if it was just about sword lady.

Look me in the eye holes and tell me this.

I stopped watching at the terrible flirtfight tbh I mean gosh

woah, what? now this sounds interesting?

Ugh, I’m finding Legion to be harder and harder to watch. Both of the most recent episodes featured strong female characters attacked by creepy males that effectively render them helpless, even if in both cases it was in the astral plane/dreamworld/David’s mind/wherever .

The show is undeniably great and there’s only two more episodes but man, this is squashing my enthusiasm to finish it.

i mean it was fun and cute but they had three licensed songs and none of them were the queen song “Flash” so 5/10 at best

3 Likes

[spoiler]OK so I am a little curious about Iron Fist’s hams I mean in the part I watched obv. the makers of that show are all about sword lady’s hams which is predictable but disappointing do Mr. Bland’s hams ever actually get featured in later episodes or does he seem have a no-ham clause in his contract maybe…?

Maybe he breaks someone’s face with his butt and there’s a good closeup?!

#######hampatrol[/spoiler]

1 Like

omg maybe his hams dont’ show up on film or video D:

current rules for the iron fist drinking game:

1. every time it’s obvious that the writers deleted ‘confucius he say’ from iron fist’s dialogue
  2. every time the asian woman invokes the ‘code of bushido’ in ways that make no sense given what bushido was supposed to be (from the last episode I watched, she said that samurai never fought for money)
  3. chinese ninjas
  4. every time iron fist, the guy with magical kung fu, fights in a way that does not resemble kung fu even remotely

gonna say a potentially Unpopular Opinion but the criticism i’m hearing about Light being a white guy (“white dudes already have god complexes and go on killing sprees”), while super correct, make it so that it works for this story/character? Light already goes pretty much crazy within the first 3 episodes, so its not like this is his story or he’s a “good guy”, can this be a show that basically tears down a white dude’s superiority complex in the weirdly convoluted and insanely ratcheting way the anime already does? especially now that L is black? i mean this is a lot to put onto a Live Action Netflix Anime Remake Starring William Defoe as a Creepy Demon that’s already been made but uh

1 Like

I don’t agree with that specific criticism but I think people in general are disappointed in these kinds of things because there is such a pathetic dearth of roles for Asian Americans in Hollywood overall that anime adaptations about Japanese people seem like they’d be a pretty straightforward way to start building or nurturing new careers. Like in this particular case it’s not like Shyamalan’s Avatar or something where it’s totally absurd but it’s more like just another one to dump onto the never-ending pile of missed opportunities.

But yes the movie might be…fine

2 Likes

that’s fair, and i’m pro having more Asian American leading men in things. to me this looks like a way this could invert this specific kind of whitewashing controversy but i think that’s honestly giving it too much credit

i mean at the end of the day there’s not really a great chance of this being spectacular anyways

maybe one of the writers just really loves REDBELT and is trying to lowkey do a tin-eared distaff remake sans Tim Allen in the middle of this ostensible superhero show

1 Like

Holy SHIT the back half of Iron Fist is so good. Not on the finale yet but WOW.

Tim Allen in Redbelt is one of the Best Things

like the opposite of luke cage? speaking of which as someone who has read the comics i’m not used to seeing iron fist as anything other than a half baked sidekick who spouts bogus zen lines from time to time

legion again is really fucking fantastic and wonderfully put together and a cast this solid and the sheer playfulness in the form would be enough but it’s also so tightly written and man i almost don’t want a season 2 just in case also lol at the goofy lil patrick stewart impression

1 Like

The musical episode was sweet and the “Super friends” song made me :grin:.

Ok, so, if Iron Fist gets better what’s a good episode to jump in on? Because goddamn that first episode is some weak shit and I don’t have the time to waste.

Yeah I dunno I caught two episodes of Iron Fist at a friend’s house and I really think I’ll just read a plot summary when Defenders comes along

So, uh, Legion is cool as shit.

I’m also watching The Magicians which is the opposite in many ways.

1 Like