Super Mario 2006

And apparently I am at the top of the Friend Rankings for both Bound Bowls? What the flippin’ eck

I need to add everyone as friends, is there a master list of friend codes anywhere?

1 Like

Yo, the Deep Woods are some serious Great Hollow / Ash Lake shit.

On launch day I was going on and on about how the Souls games were clearly a huge influence on this game. Even though I had no proof. I just had a feeling ok.

But then I hit that dragon thing and that confirmed it.

It’s neat how people at Nintendo are playing outside games again.

3 Likes

I keep playing Disgaea 5 instead of playing this game

2 Likes
1 Like

cool

It’s way easier if you do jump though

11 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this game now that the sheen has worn off and I gotta say, it’s a really competent game, it’s loads of fun to move around in, it feels real good to pick it up for just a few minutes and achieve something, and it’s terrible for completionists.

Which I respect!

So yeah, there are too many moons. And loads of them are obscure or bad or boring or just sitting in the open.

But it’s one of the few games where, I think, anyone who gets past the tutorial level is going to be happy with what they have experienced. And I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Yes, this game has a great difficulty curve, but there’s also a really interesting…fun curve? Like, the bombastic weird stuff is near the beginning. The T-rex is in the second level for god’s sake! Most games would save that for near the end as a “reward” for your skill, but Mario Odyssey is like “fuck it, even people who suck at games should be able to do this.”

I dunno, I haven’t wordsmithed this very much, but I really feel like this game is great at satisfying people at lots of skill levels. There are always just enough easy moons to get past a level, and just enough medium skill to hard skill moons to make higher skill players feel accomplished. It’s one real failure is that the difficult moons are not that fun, and since they are the same reward as any other moon it feels a bit anticlimactic.

Anyway, I don’t think any of this is a coincidence. This game feels designed from the ground up to satisfy people at many skill levels without also feeling pandering or grindy. It’s pretty incredible.

4 Likes

Yeah with the completionist aspect the game is trying to say shouldnt just playing the game always be fun?

And people are having to confront that for the first time and having trouble.

8 Likes

easily the best advertisement for the new balloon mode

7 Likes

I’m posting here to say I loved this game completely, thoroughly, and perfectly. I got every last goddamn moon and I loved every last goddamned second of it. I’ve been waiting my whole life for this game. It’s probably the best thing nintendo has ever done not counting earthbound

not that anyone asked me lol

9 Likes

I thought this game was ok. I wish it had a map screen for accessing the little sub areas instead of needing to wander around the main areas looking for them—I guess I prefer the Mario 3D Land/World-style over 64 now, and those sub areas were my favourite parts of this game. I don’t mind that I can’t access some of Mario’s technical cap throws because I won’t engage with split joy-con. But I hate that I need to shake my system to a make a cheep-cheep attack or a bullet bill fly faster.

• deeply compelling
  • fully interconnected endless mario is the one true video dream
  • dreg heap
6 Likes

I was excited to watch this and then it reminded me how bland half of the kingdoms are.

What If All Kingdoms Were Lit Poorly?

2 Likes

You would get Super Mario Hard-to-see

6 Likes

Thanks to Luigi’s balloon world I’ve been able to afford the Voxel Abomination costume

It’s permanently stuck in that jumping position and looks like it’s dying
Costs 9999 coins

Luigi’s balloon world is such a killer concept and they almost nailed it. It would have worked if it was integrated into the game from the start. As is, switching a « level » means going back to the odyssey, selecting another world on the map, skipping the first cutscene, watching Cappy talk about triple jumps like we don’t know about them, skipping the second cutscene, findind Luigi, reconnecting to the wifi, and it’s such an enormous slog it’s impossible to stay motivated for too long

11 Likes

Recent Super Mario Flashback updates.

9 Likes