Super Mario 2006

This is such a labor of love that I kind of hate to say negative things about it. It’s gorgeous.

I kind of hate the level design, though.

1 Like

I adore that sprite work, wow

Yeah I think this is really amazing from a technical standpoint but it also vaguely reminds me of the “cinematic” mods for half life 2 that basically just gave alyx big tiddies and stripper makeup

like it’s “Mario Extreme”, things are just kind of made more “edgy” in a way that’s kind of grating. And that’s fine, I guess! I just keep expecting to see duke nukem explosion sprites when he jumps on koopas

2 Likes

It’s mainly that out of character scowl they gave Mario

2 Likes

it reads as dementedly enthusiastic to me

1 Like

I really want Mario Odyssey 2. Is that weird?

3 Likes

it’s actually the only rational thing to want

5 Likes

I just felt like Mario Odyssey (my fingers keep trying to type Oddysee) was really good, though I was a bit dissatisfied by the level design which felt a little too open. Despite that I think Mario Sunshine is a heinous crime, I’ll parrot that its no-fludd levels were some of the best parts. None of the “platforming obstacle course” levels in Odyssey felt too involved.

3 Likes
1 Like

NO!!! Mario’s Happy!!!

2 Likes

nah this game ruled, and if they made a direct sequel god knows it would introduce some bizarre mechanic or stage just from general lack of ideas, so i’m here for it

3 Likes

i can forgive all the deficiencies in odyssey’s level design (which were usually a result of just adding more stuff, rather than narrowing down) because of how great the movement feels.

4 Likes

Yeah, I really enjoy the “big fucking map” feel of Odyssey but the maps could have been filled more with pure challenge rather than the whole “now try platforming as THIS enemy” repetition

1 Like

I would describe the level design in Odyssey as “loose”. I think it’s pretty similar to a lot of other Mario games, in that the movement has a lot of tricks and a very high skill cap, but the levels won’t ever force the player to exploit that cf. Mario World or Mario 64.

I think it’s very easy to ruin the game for yourself if you try to go for every moon; it’s pretty tedious! It’s fun to explore and naturally run into them. It’s not fun to try to track down those last few moons you’re missing.

I do wish there was tougher platforming, but I feel that way about nearly every Mario game (save Mario Maker).

7 Likes

Loose feels like a good way to put it. Compared to much of the Mario 64 & Sunshine design, I saw more obvious ‘tracks’ of linear content to reach specific moons. Iit felt comparable to the 3D Land games, and thinking of it next to those, the 3D Land games could frustrate when I felt stuck in an unchallenging level, or when the limited freedom they gave me wasn’t being utilized except for dopamine rewards of hidden coins in bushes.

Bringing it into open 3D lets them put context around things – now it’s a desert town, now it’s a city block – instead of the necessarily more abstract tunnel slices in 3D Land, and the level concepts were really excellent in an aesthetic sense, even (especially?) as they moved away from having them drive mechanics.

1 Like

give us Mario Maker 3D you cowards

4 Likes

I would die if I was able to make 3D Land type stages

2 Likes

I want Super Mario Odyssey 2 to have all of the stages and levels and stuff in a single huge space where you can move freely between them. So like when you’re up in the Sky World part of the game you can still look down and see all the ground level areas you came from and have yet to go to and if you miss a jump on a platform you fall all the way back to the ground.

4 Likes

this is what Jesus wanted for his children, yes

5 Likes

Getting Over It with Shigeru Miyamoto

5 Likes