Super Mario 2006

hey did you know you can throw your hat and Indiana the dog will catch and fetch it?

such a good boy

3 Likes

The NSMB sub-series is interesting to me. After Mario World, most major Mario games have taken many years to make, and as such there’s not a lot of continuity to them–they all kinda do their own thing and feel like they emerged fully-formed. The NSMB series (and to a lesser extent the run from Galaxy to 3d world), however, are so obviously iterative, that you feel like you’ve learned something after playing 'em all.

Or, put another way: it pleases me that there is a game series where a chronological list is the same as a ranking. It makes me feel good to think about the team starting off with a bad game (NSMB), then learning from their mistakes and making a slightly less bad game, then a kinda okay game, then an Actually Good game (U), then a Legitimately Great game (WeegeeU). I hope if I ever make a game, and it’s bad, that I will have that level of perseverence (if not budget)!

3 Likes

The NSMB games feel like they were made by TOSE, with all the good and bad that implies.

Finished the Breakdown Road Final Challenge last night; I found it easiest to start with a long jump, then do regular jumps unless Mario had to climb up from the edge. Even if you can stay lined up correctly, long jumps need to be positioned far enough toward the back of the block that you don’t collide with the block you’re trying to land on.

The Invisible Road challenge is vexing me because I finished it twice last night, and I’m still not sure what I need to do to get the second moon. I’m so tired of trying to hop on giant piranha plants.

Like Breakdown Road it’s the hatless version of a stage found elsewhere (can’t remember where, but I think it’s one of the gray square entrances), so you can take a break and get moons elsewhere to find the solution.

1 Like

Ok, Darker Side can go fuck itself

Let me guess: you got to the part where you have to use the woodpecker.

Not even that yet, jeez. It was the pop-out blocks climbing section.

It’s starting all over each time that kills me

Darker Side segments in increasing order of my hatred:

1. Metal waves in the lava
  2. Yoshi conveyors
  3. Growin’ sprout with spiny guys
  4. Metal blocks poppin’ out to make a maze
  5. Springy fork capturing
  6. Jump and swing across sinking structures
  7. Freezing water vertical slice
  8. Flower road past the sphinx
  9. Lava holes under the boulder-spinners
  10. Goomba entryway (rated as if it were required for progress)
  11. Flyin’ lizard
  12. GODDAMN SPINY GUY GAUNTLET, FUCKIN’ HELL
  13. Whatever comes after that, probably

The first five or six of those are fine, honestly. Everything past #9 can fuck right off.

I finished the new Odyssey translation on the plane this week. It’s really solid, especially as this is my second reading and I’m a bit more ready to understand it for what it’s actually about. Here’s one of my favorite passages, from book 20, as the suitors are having their final feast in Odysseus’s palace along with the owner (still disguised as a beggar), while his plan to murder them and take back his property is just about ready to roll:

Inside the house, the suitors cooked the meat kebabs, took out the skewers, then divided up the portions— a splendid feast. They served Odysseus an equal portion with their own; his son, Telemachus, had ordered them to do so.

But still Athena would not let the suitors refrain from hurtful insults and abuse, so even deeper bitterness would sink into the heart of great Odysseus. One lawless man from Same named Ctesippus, encouraged by extraordinary wealth, had come to court Odysseus’ wife because he had been absent for so long. He shouted to the other reckless suitors, “Listen! This stranger got an equal share, as is appropriate. It would, of course, be wrong to disrespect a guest who comes to visit our Telemachus. Let me give him a welcome gift, so he can give gifts to the bath attendant or some other house slave here in the palace.”

Then he grabbed an ox-foot from the basket, and he hurled it towards Odysseus, who smoothly ducked, bowing his head, and smiled in scornful rage. The ox-foot struck the wall.

Telemachus scolded Ctesippus. “You were very lucky you failed to hit the stranger; he avoided the blow himself. I would have thrust my sword right through your belly, and your father would have held your funeral, and not your wedding. So from now on, you all should stay in check, here in my house. I used to be a child, but now I understand things, good and bad. I have to watch and put up with all this: the slaughtered sheep, the food, the wine. It is hard for a single man to put a stop to such a multitude. But please back down from your hostility to me. Or if you do still want to kill me with bronze swords, go on; I want you to. It would be better to die, than have to watch you suitors acting so horribly—abusing strangers, dragging the house girls through my home, molesting them.”

They all fell silent. Agelaus spoke. “My friends, his words are fair. Do not get angry or argue back with him. Do not abuse the stranger, or Odysseus’ slaves. Telemachus, I offer some advice to you and to your mother, with respect. I hope you can accept it. While you thought your many-minded father would come home, there was no harm in holding us at bay, and waiting, in case he came back again. Now it is obvious he will not come. So boy, sit by your mother, and advise her to choose the best, most generous of us to marry; then you can enjoy the wealth left by your father, eat and drink, and she can go take care of someone else’s house.”

Telemachus inhaled, then answered, “Yes! By Zeus and by my father’s sufferings— lost far from Ithaca, or maybe dead— I will cause no delay, and I will tell her to pick a husband, and I will provide a lavish dowry. But I am reluctant to force her if she does not want to go. May no god make that happen!” So he spoke.

Athena turned the suitors’ minds; they laughed unstoppably. They cackled, and they lost control of their own faces. Plates of meat began to drip with blood. Their eyes were full of tears, and they began to wail in grief.

The prophet Theoclymenus addressed them. “What awful thing is happening to you? Your faces, heads, and bodies are wrapped up in night; your screams are blazing out like fire. The ornate palace ceilings and the walls are spattered with your blood. The porch is full of ghosts, as is the courtyard—ghosts descending into the dark of Erebus. The sun has vanished from the sky, and gloomy mist is all around.”

At these words, they all laughed. Eurymachus spoke up. “This new arrival has lost his mind! Quick, fellows, throw him out! Make him go to the marketplace—he thinks it is like night in here!”

The prophet answered, “Eurymachus, I will not ask for guides. I have good eyes and ears and feet; my mind is working perfectly, and I am leaving. I sense some evil coming for you all, who sit here in Odysseus’ house tormenting and oppressing other people. Not one of you will get away.” With that, he left the palace and went down to meet Piraeus, and was welcomed there.

The suitors, with glances at each other, tried to tease Telemachus by laughing at his guests. “What awful luck you have with visitors! Here is this dirty beggar, always wanting more food and wine, who is unskilled in farmwork or fighting—a mere burden on the earth! That other one just stood there prophesying! Now listen—I propose a better plan. Pack up your strangers on a boat as slaves; send them to Sicily, and make a profit!”

Telemachus ignored the suitors’ words, and watched his father quietly, still waiting for when they should attack the shameless suitors. The beautiful Penelope had wisely set up her chair to face them, and she listened to what each man was saying. They had killed numerous animals, and made their banquet with laughter. But no dinnertime could be less welcome than the one the mighty man and goddess would soon bring them, in revenge, because they started it and wronged him first.

6 Likes

I finished Darker Side tonight with 507 moons. What a great game.

I didn’t understand what the parrot actually did before the post-game and didn’t use the hint toad 'till a few moons ago; so after switching over to having the moon-rock moons labeled on the map and some duplicated types of moons in each of the kingdoms and all the boss re-fights in Mushroom Kingdom and the Darker gauntlet I think I’ll take a break.

I’m sure I’ll play some with family on Thanksgiving as they have yet to experience the state of mario art, but gotta try to leave some stuff for the dark ages between now and whenever more mario is delivered unto us.

My hope is that they just furiously DLC new kingdoms forever I will pay $15-20 a pop Nintendo are you listening? Just add a bunch of boroughs to New Donk this is free you can steal this idea. I am not holding my realistic adult breath.

What a cool ass game.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing some of Old Donk City

11 Likes

"mario hat"tan

1 Like

Donklyn

Donkken Island

Donks (I can’t think think of a good Donk substitute for Queens that doesn’t sound like The Donx)

Paulines

that’s all i got put me right into the bin

1 Like

I spent a good ten minutes today trying to think of a good one for staten island and couldn’t

howabout snifit island

3 Likes

pretty close to 100 percent completion, doing a bit of celebrating to myself

Am I the only one who has serious trouble with the Iceburn circuit S Rank race? I was just about the post here asking for pro strats because I was struggling to get anything more than a distant 4th, but just now I somehow fluked into first position and won. Probably my least favourite part of the game, it just feels horrible to play