Super Mario 2006

wow the bottom and the top of that list are so

i can’t even imagine entertaining either thought

crazy shit

I like a controversial list. So I don’t mind this. Though I think it’s batshit crazy.

Of the NSMB games, I only haven’t played Wii-U, though it should almost be disqualified for the title alone.

I may have to put together my own list to get my thoughts together.

1 Like

the NSMB games aren’t really bad at all, even a mediocre Mario game is still a great platformer, but putting any of them above SMW or 3, even when trying to have the context of “how it was then to how it plays now” is, uh, wrong?
it feels super wrong

i was already gonna revise my Mario list after Odyssey but now i have irrational fire burning within

Dashed this list off in the last few minutes, so it’s not a hill I’d die on, but here’s my list of games I’ve played enough to have an opinion on.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
  2. Super Mario Bros.
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Super Mario World
  5. Super Mario 3D Land
  6. Super Mario Land
  7. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
  8. Super Mario Sunshine
  9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  10. Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP)
  11. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  12. Super Mario Galaxy
  13. New Super Mario Bros. 2
  14. Super Mario Land 2
  15. New Super Mario Bros.

EDIT: Discourse didn’t like a reverse-numbered list.

4 Likes

Desperately want a new GNG game so he can rank Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins dead last.

1 Like

Super Mario Land 2 is the best Mario, sry haters

3 Likes

this is a very conservative ranking but I agree with almost all of it

why all the super mario land 2 hate yo it’s a good game!!

Odyssey Talk:

729 moons in and I still want to keep playing, but, uh, I should probably stop soon before I feel compelled to get a moon that’s stupid and unfun (too late)

I really liked how briskly paced the main game was. Compared to most other collectathon-type platformers, the required completion percentages the main worlds is quite low (ranging from 1/3 to 1/5 of the moons available). A first time player could reasonably get enough collectibles in each world to move on to the next one within 30 to 90 minutes (depending on the size of the area). It’s pretty easy to rush through the game, being introduced to the New and Exciting worlds in rapid succession, only scratching the tip of the iceberg. (That’s how I approached the game at first.)

My approach to the post-game was pretty much the exact opposite. The worlds are large and dense enough that you can sink 3 or 4 or 5 hours into exploring them, and still feel like there’s more secrets hiding around (even when you’ve found all the moons). Without any (noteworthy) goals to work towards, your motivation is just to explore for exploration’s sake. The post-game Mushroom Kingdom area exemplifies this the best. There are no ‘story’ missions or markers to work towards, just a huge open area to poke around in at your leisure.

(In a way this game feels like a counterpoint to the new Zelda. In that game, I felt like exploring and going off the beaten track from the get-go (and did so for the next 60 hours), but after I beat the game I had very little desire to continue exploring the world. However, I lack the insight to figure out why this was the case for one game and not the other (maybe its just cuz I had Zelda on loan).)

Aesthetically, this game leans much more towards the zaniness and incongruity that I want from a Mario game, though it falters in some places. Like, barely anything about the Luncheon Kingdom registers as ‘being made out of food’ to me, except for (rather grossly) all the piles of salt. Also, while there is some weird stuff in the game, not very much of it matches what Mario Land 2 has on average.

The game has some flaws. Some moons are annoying nonsense (volleyball and trace-walking in particular). There doesn’t seem to be a good-feeling way to naturally sink into water when swimming on the surface – you either have to ground pound or jump out of the water and back in, and neither option feels good. Likewise, the limitations on single wall jumping are very, very nonsensical, arbitrary, and contrary to the design ethos of the rest of the game (if you don’t know what I mean, try single-wall jumping in the Moon Kingdom and it should become immediately apparent that something is just plain wrong).

Most the the enemies feel good to control when captured, with some very nice frictions and such, except for the gliding lizard. I have no idea how that thing ended up in a Mario game.

The final post-game platforming level is, in a word, disappointing. In more words: lengthy, but otherwise rather easy except for a small handful of Good Bits.

4 Likes

See, I’d have said jumprope and RC car, myself. Otherwise there’s a lot to agree with here.

Apparently you can select a random outfit with Y, and this will load a new randomized outfit every time you die?!

this is literally the only place i know, internet or otherwise, that seems to universally like this game, sometimes to the point of even loving it (i count myself in those ranks)

I think Mario’s got almost too much movement ability in this game vs. the environments, so close, v. satisfying ‘empowerment’ tightrope walking. If there is one thing to steal from Souls its the sense of just barely doing stuff you aren’t allowed to.

This is too dope to be true?

Between that list and his distaste for Metroid II it’s time to bestow upon Parish the all-time best charlatan award.

3 Likes

He likes Marathon though so he gets a free pas from me (Sykel).

2 Likes

i don’t know why anyone would want to compare a 2d mario game with a 3d one and rank them against each other, but also i do know and i love it so much

1 Like

woah i gotta check out that outfit randomizer thing later

NSMBU is a Mario game that is so perfectly bland that I thought I hadn’t beaten it yet, so I loaded up the game to play the final castle only to realize during the second phase of Bowser that I’d already beaten and immediately forgotten about it afterwards. I have more respect for NSMB2 for going wild with coin-collecting nonsense, I can at least remember something about the game if pressed.

2 Likes

The Night Sky level in Wii-U looked cool at least. They should do a game just in that style.

i haven’t played NSMB Wii U but based on my experience with the Wii version it’s probably marginally better because you don’t have to use motion controls i assume? probably the most bonkers and infuriating 4 player experiences i’ve had with a nintendo game

i thought NSMB DS was alright and probably the best one of that series? i never played the gold coin one

these are my thoughts as i craft my mario list

I have never even heard of new super university brothers, that list is the first time I’ve seen it in my life

he put 2j last which tells me he’s just another lazy gaming journalist looking for back of the box features instead of actual design, yawn, wake me up tomorrow when he does final fantasy and then recycles those two articles for the rest of his career

and yes I only entered this thread because I figured someone would have mentioned that list in here the only thing I know about mario odyssey is they have humans for someone reason and nintendo gave up and put the kirby mechanic in a game people would play