Super Mario 2006

8 Likes

I’m not sure about the post game moon hunting. My loop so far is pull up the map, walk around a marker looking for things (usually while toggling the map to make sure I’m pointed in the right direction. If only there were a second screen…), do a bit of Mario stuff if I find where the moon is or don’t and move on to the next, then repeat. It’s bordering on busy work. Should I be talking to the parrot or buying hints instead? Am I doing it wrong?

No, that’s pretty much the game at least until you reach tough straggler moons. If you buy hints for 50 coins it puts a blue marker on your map for the non-cube moons. The parrot might show some use for 100% completion but hasn’t seemed worth the hassle for getting 500 moons.

I think the pacing is the weakest aspect of the game, yeah. It has an atomized and uniform feel for such a long game. For a game called “Odyssey” it didn’t take much inspiration from the journey through monsters and stormy seas that wrecked his fleet and killed his crew, leaving him to return home as a beggar. You just fast travel whereever and pick up easily accessible goodies, and there is hardly ever anything at stake that you can lose.

1 Like

Reminder that the part of the Odyssey that everyone remembers is like a third of the poem and the rest is Odysseus being a whiny liar and killing people

4 Likes

you’re forgetting the Telemachiad

1 Like

Who else is fixing to at least audiobook the new Wilson translation

Or as a friend once told it “The Mildly Boring Adventures of Telemachus”

My uncle who works at Nintendo told me that this game is actually based on O Brother Where Art Thou?

6 Likes

I’m trying not to use the map too much but uh

yeah it’s way faster to use the map

2 Likes

one legitimate bullshit gripe i have is that you can’t set custom markers on your map. i dunno if its because you’re supposed to rely on your compass that no one uses?

1 Like

Good passage on how Super Mario has been described through the ages:

3 Likes

oh hey here’s something online to get irrationally mad about

biggest complaint: why is mario land 2 above SMB2

okay bye

3 Likes

having that particular game be number one feels like it might be trolling but if it’s not, this might be a fireable offense

whenever i think of people flooding innocuous online articles with angry comments i wonder about the people who spend the time actually making an account to dump all those negative thoughts and unfortunately it looks like i found my triggering threshold

4 Likes

wow this is wrong!

I guess it’d be OK if you just remove all the NSMB and galaxy stuff outright, bump 64 above world, and put SML2 down below sunshine and lost levels

is this your wrongest post?

no

no

okay maybe

1 Like

mods please flag this content as offensive

2 Likes

God bless Jeremy Parish.

1 Like

wow right out the gate

1 Like

imaginary super peach hack with smb2us character select + touch-screen powers removed + recreations of all levels from every 2d smb with more hills added in to slide down