Super Mario 2006

well, it’s remarkable in itself that those trends absolutely were all checked in nintendo’s case, in the absence of any real critical or commercial revolt

1 Like

odyssey owns a whole heck of a lot! don’t mistake this for unappreciative equivocating!

I’m not really getting the use of cloying in this context

I didn’t mean for my “actually it’s bad” to have been taken as a full-on prescriptive argument, it was a knee-jerk response, everyone is free to think what they think. there are plenty of intellectually rigorous arguments to be made about why I think it’s bad, but I’m pretty sure that discussion has been had here about twelve thousand times since its release (in this thread even) so didn’t think it necessary to go through it all again

but look how much fun it is now that we are

The Expresso Espresso coffee cups appear to be half-gallon sized and also every woman in the city is looking up a wiki entry on the metal cubes and T-Rex is front page news.

everything in the game has been, well, not easy, but not “stressful” until all of a sudden, on The Dark Side of the Moon, it gets VERY stressful, at least to me

1 Like

also i started playing the new Wolfenstein after playing many hours of this and, boy howdy, that is quite the tone shift

for one thing, these two games use dogs in dramatically different ways

4 Likes

Just finished the main story and saw a post showing that there are 999 moons in the game. I have like, 150 or something. This is incredible.

The ending was really cute. I wish Mario had been left stranded on the moon though

The Dark Souls reference is…fucking incredible. I’m still in shock. Absolute shock.

was that post griffin mcelroy showing off that he had all of them already because he is a crazy games person? just curious

2 Likes

so after a certain point you can just start buying moons from stores, sometimes 10 at a time, and i can’t tell if they eventually become sold out or you can just buy them till you max out at that number

i’m still trying to get enough coins to get certain costumes so i can’t test it out myself besides just buying sets of 10 a couple of times

1 Like

I think buying the moons ten at a time is there for the people who don’t want the later stages gated by their platforming ability to acquire enough moons to power up the Odyssey. The actual number of moons is I think 836, which is still pretty crazy.

Purchasing extra moons seems like a waste of money compared to getting the skeleton suit.

2 Likes

Yeah, probably. I still haven’t gotten that suit yet and I don’t even know if it does anything but for the price you would think it would do something.

That doesn’t make too much sense given that the postgame stages are challenges harder than any particular moon. I think the design idea behind it must be that collecting any particular moon should never feel “mandatory” but rather something you do for its own sake.

Googling this indicates there is no limit. I’d been buying them 10 at a time when I hit 1000 coins assuming that I’d be hitting a limit at 50 or something and then switch to cosmetic items. I guess I should stop it at some point then.

Well, I mean, it DOES turn you into a skeleton. That’s pretty wild.

And yeah, I was assuming the postgame shop moons were an intended money sink so that the “lose coins for dying” mechanic still had an impact, aside from the 50 for extra health.

2 Likes

It’s pretty annoying how there is no shop right next to the postgame stages which is the single place where you would most want to buy up extra health. You have to make a trip to another kingdom to get it. There was a similar problem in 3d World with respect to entering them with full powerups. Not sure whether this is an intentional decision to create “investing in serious attempts” or an oversight.

1 Like

in case you weren’t aware there is a extra health heart hidden in one of the jutting poles right next to the checkpoint flag before the rabbid boss gauntlet on Dark Side of the Moon

2 Likes

pff having six hearts for the big endgame challenges is for scrubs

Yeah, I got to this and got both moons after grinding it for 2-3 hours or so. The stage is called Breakdown Road (it seems to be a newish theme to call the hardest postgame stages “road”s — I guess it’s a callback to Star Road in SMW). For all the drama with the missiles it’s a really elementary platforming challenge of jumping on 6 equidistant blocks (with a time limit for the second moon). But yeah you might be right about being the hardest single room in the 3d games: the blocks are painfully distant and tiny, the time limit is unforgiving and the lack of axis snapping in this game makes challenges like this inherently harder than in 3d World.

I got the key moon by stomping onto a block out of aggro range of the big missile and then carefully diving from block to block (the trick is to let go of the thumbstick on the landing). I got the hidden moon by adjusting the camera behind me before aggroing the missile, diving to the first block and then without letting go of LT I longjumped every other block with very brief rolls on each.

I think the other hatless technical stage, “Vanishing Road”, is a lot more varied and fun though. That one really is about mastering the entire hatless moveset, as opposed to learning a bizarre stage-specific technique.

1 Like
20 Likes