Super Mario 2006

for this purpose, yeah; I consider all miyamoto-derived stuff (which coincidentally had not been particularly well executed since 1997) to be EAD basically. but I take the point.

i have a hunch that they have more fresh blood working on stuff these days and that’s why they’re turning towards self-reference, more freely taking inspiration from outside sources, etc. but that might just be my millennial bias ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

the tokyo studio is actually a bunch of people in their thirties, I think they were doing some outreach around 3D Land / World and that’s where I remembered it from because people were like “whoa this is really good where is it coming from!?”

the thing is, Galaxy was worked on by the same teams and it was dreck, same deal with BotW having a lot of the same staff as Skyward Sword. so there’s obviously more to it than that

shut up galaxy was good

1 Like

I had fun playing but it reaaaaalllly kinda wasn’t

It is.

Galaxy was fine but the 3D Marios just kept getting better and better after that. Galaxy 2, 3D Land, 3D World, Odyssey, all better than the one before it

galaxy was developed in the apex of stubborn nintendo granddad condescension and i played it in the nadir of my patience for that and i still managed to 100% clear it. this certainly says something about me, but it also says something about mario: it was always going to be fundamentally structurally sound enough that no one should have to tiptoe around the idea of maybe somehow managing to like it lest the Ladies and Lords of Good Taste in the Halls of Correct Game Design Ubiquity catch wind

please everyone figure out a way to talk about videogame that isn’t beholden to sterile canonization of “Quality”

9 Likes

Neo New Games Journalism.

1 Like

I haven’t actually confimed this, but from what I’ve read, with a $10 RFID writer, a spare chip card and the codes from the internet, you can just spoof dummy amiibos and unlock the stuff in the games.

:thinking: this kind of thinking is exactly what led to a game like Mario Galaxy

2 Likes

no, it really isn’t. i’m not saying critical considerations don’t and shouldn’t exist; the qualifiers i used were deliberate. i’m arguing against a specific sort of rhetorical reductiveness

alt: “this kind of thinking” led to a game you had fun playing? sorry about that!

1 Like

‘I had fun’ vs ‘I was bored’ is not in any way a reliable measure of quality of the thing beheld. it’s a facet of personality, of set and setting, and says more about the player than the thing played.

I had fun playing Mario Galaxy because, as you said/implied, it was Mario on a new Nintendo system. my high expectations met with my nostalgic yearning and the crippling, depressive episode that was my sophomore year at college led to a willingness to overlook the game’s glaring faults, overwhelming my critical faculties. I have gone back to play it since and found it dreadful. I don’t expect to feel the same way about Odyssey. the exact same can be said of Twilight Princess/BOTW. it was not a good era for Nintendo.

1 Like

Wow, we had the same depressive episode at the same time and same age!

2 Likes

idk why you think your critical faculties exist in a void independent of any of this or how your playing it under different conditions isn’t just another inflection of the same phenomena

honestly though it’s just: “actually it’s good / actually it’s bad” doesn’t employ any more intellectual rigor than “enjoyed / didn’t enjoy” in this context and i think people vastly underestimate the amount of legwork that is necessary to avoid making prescriptivism prohibitively cloying and obstructive in informal discussion

2 Likes

well I mean

handily demonstrates how efficiently you can avoid that same prescriptivism with just a hair more incisiveness

thanks for noticing!

I think “fundamentally structurally sound” is a fallacy though – that may be why the critical record on it is so overwhelmingly positive, but the underlying mechanics are some of the least free-form they’ve ever come up with, and it’s compensated for by what is almost a literal off-hand fidget spinner

I know I can be cloying about my “bad things are actually bad, god forbid I have to go into detail about it” party line though

i’m definitely interested and invested in observing the dangers of design trends left unchecked, i’m just not so interested in letting those conclusions be the final word on any individual work