Super Mario 2006

A “perfect” score doesn’t (or shouldn’t) imply the game is perfect; it’s simply their highest recommendation.

In the example you cite, Galaxy 2 and Galaxy 1 both getting “perfect” scores shouldn’t be problematic since, in the eyes of the reviewer, Galaxy 1 was the best of its kind at the time and Galaxy 2 happened to improve on that… unless they were to retroactively go back and re-rate Galaxy 1 lower, but then they’d be at that forever with every game that has ever had a superior sequel.

Also, no review scores have ever been meaningful, and those that try the hardest fail the hardest.

10 Likes

Galaxy had me shaking a remote to boost from here to there when all I wanted to do was run and jump.

Got this game today… and the damned game card doesn’t work.
I get the error “Game card cannot be read”.

I looked at the back of the card and compared it to ARMS and Splatoon’s and seems the actual green circuitry part is missing :confused:

So very disappointed right now

2 Likes

The true Odyssey begins here

2 Likes

I wonder if there was ever a build of this game where P2 controlled whatever Cappy possessed, independently of Mario.

Maybe. There is a two player mode where P2 controls Capy and P1 controls Mario. Hope to try that out today maybe.

Played an hour last night. Found half the moons in Cascade Kingdom before movingly on to the Sand Kingdom. It feel a pretty good, snappy, lots of moves. Used Pro controller and yeah, some of the moves that used the motion screen didn’t seem to have a non-motion analog (that I was able to discover, maybe someone else will soon). Will try it out using the joy cons when I get home.

Either way it’s cute, bright, beautiful and packed to the gills with little ancillary details and secret spots. Going to be thinking about it all day until I can get back home.

Oh no, you have been infected by Martinet.

17 Likes

Quite possibly the best Action Button bottom line review ever written, bravo.

10 Likes

Happy Donk Day, everyone, we did it.

6 Likes

Just beat the main story stuff in Tostarena. This game is great so far! And, most importantly, it’s super weird! There are some really surreal moments, even this early in the game. It’s the kind of stuff I haven’t seen in a mario game since 64. Finding the wrecked taxi cab with a straight-up normal suited human in the middle of this magical realist desert of sugar skull people was a fantastic moment. The painting into New Donk was great too. There’s no grand introduction to it, nothing around it to explain its presence, no context given. There’s just a painting on a pillar in the middle of nowhere and it takes you to another world for no reason. I love this sort of thing, it makes the world of the game feel so much more interesting.

Edit: Also, can’t forget the first-person POV surprise frog body horror bit at the beginning too.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for you, Amazon Van Man. :womans_hat::dog:

3 Likes

Kinda wish there were more trippy mind scape tumbles for other body captures like with the frog. At least there’s the painting warps.

1 Like

galaxy has really good music. it’s kind of intolerable to play and suffers many of the same issues as twilight princess

goddamn that music is pretty fucking ace tho right

This is my exploring outfit!

4 Likes

One of the reasons I love 64 is it’s basically Manhole with physics, so this is good news to me.

2 Likes

Yes the absolute best thing this game can be is weird imo.

2 Likes

Game is soooo weird and it’s the best kind of weird too. Probably the weirdest Mario game since the original Super Mario Land on the original GameBoy.

I am at the Luncheon Kingdom and just found the secret passage to the Mushroom Kingdom(!)! Don’t know how much further I have for the main story but probably two or three more kingdoms if I’m guessing. I came home early at lunch and have just been playing all day since then.

Best Mario since Sunshine and easily better than Sunshine (and I like Sunshine quite a lot if you’re wondering) because Capy is a much better gameplay hook than FLUDD and also because the game itself just has tons more variety in every aspect. There’s constant discovery of neat or weird or just creative little things that make for a relentless onslaught of Moments or whatever. Like if Mario 3 had had a lot more little discoveries like Kuribo’s shoe, I guess is how I want to try and put it.

So far only two or so of the kingdoms haven’t really made much of an impression on me, and they were both snow/ice levels, hmmm, but in fairness I did not spend as much time in them yet since right now the game is all about Mario’s mission to stop a wedding like in The Graduate (or actually Wayne’s World, probably). It’s still too early though for me to start ranking the areas in terms of my favorites because I’ve enjoyed all of them so far.

I also played two player mode for a bit. Player 2 controls Capy while Player 1 controls Mario but when taking possession of enemies it’s P1 who’s in control (though P2 can still zip around as Capy picking up coins and stuff). Only Mario can grab moons. It’s better than P2 being the pointer thing like in Mario Galaxy but still not a proper two player mode. Okay for playing with your kids, I guess. I played with my nephews and it was mostly painless (aside from a boss battle that was kind of annoying for a minute).

re: motion-only control moves: I’ve gotten used to waggling the pro controller this way or that to do them. The movements themselves don’t have to be super exaggerated but they do need to be somewhat precise. Doing the throw-the-cap-in-a-circle move and doing the one where you toss it straight up can get confused if you’re not paying attention to how the controller is oriented in your hand in that moment.

2 Likes

Took the game back for an exchange today.
I showed the woman at the refund counter the error I was getting so she refunded the money and told me to take it to the games counter to show them the error and to pick up the replacement game.

So when I attempt to show the guy the error again the game suddenly worked fine

:waynestare:

Lucky they still gave me the replacement

4 Likes

I have no fucking idea how you jerks are passing 50 jumps in the jump-rope minigame, and it’s making me furious.

Other than that, I have no complaints. The game is overall really easy so far, but I’m still pretty early–just left New Donk City, for reference–but it does get difficult at times, and I haven’t finished any of the kingdoms yet. The shops have done a decent job of getting new items to keep the lose-coins-on-death mechanic relevant over the course that I’ve played.

Definitely agree with @Mr_Mechanical about this one being weirder than usual in a good way.

You have to be Japanese.

4 Likes