Super Mario 2006

I’m getting some strong Spyro vibes from this game. Maybe the variety of settings + open ended levels with lots of hidden stuff.

4 Likes

Yeah I think the challenge is in finding stuff rather than platforming / boss fighting. It’s such a joy to play that I can’t say I mind.

I hope since the emphasis is different there’s room for another 3DWorld-type game. We’ll see I guess.

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t take my comments about it being easy as a negative; I’m loving the relaxed pace, and the general easy vibe makes the moments of real difficulty that much more meaningful. There hasn’t been a kingdom yet that I didn’t enjoy.

1 Like

The traditional festival bit in New Donk City was a real highlight!

3 Likes

I “beat” it earlier. After the credits roll the story keeps going!

It’s really good. I’m still playing it. There are so many homages and references and things to previous Mario games but it never seems fan-servicy because it’s all just mixed in there with all the new stuff and you keep turning over new things every other minute.

Currently replaying a boss fight in a “rematch” stage. These are the hard mode stages for boss fights. I think there’s some Star Road type area that I haven’t unlocked yet where everything is cranked up to eleven.

2 Likes

very early in, (just playing in the sand world now) but this game is gonna make me cry

the open levels of 64 with the slickness of Galaxy and some really weird ideas. Mario saying “Oh, come on” when first given the hat made laugh out loud

god i really needed this cartridge right now

3 Likes

Holy shit I was worried this game wouldn’t have anything major to show me that I hadn’t already seen in previews.

Friends… That was not the case.

Major spoilers for an awesome reveal: In the cooking world, I went through a painting of PEACH’S CASTLE FROM MARIO 64! And it took me to The Mushroom Kingdom! And it dropped me in Yoshi’s house, which is a recreation of the Yoshi house from the start of Super Mario World! And the moons are stars in this world! I’m losing my mind right now.

2 Likes

It feels like a spiritual sequel to Super Mario Sunshine. Sunny skies, vacation vibes, collecting blue (yellow, red, …) coins moons, going around cleaning up the problems of the various inhabitants.

2 Likes

Trying to savor the flavor and take it slow. The little doggie led me to a treasure. Just looking for reasons to hat throw - hat bounce - air throw - air dive - air bounce - air throw - air dive everywhere. Haven’t looked at any moon checklists, just livin’ and bein’ free as a strong sassy man in a warm and inviting world of fully-surmountable smooth whipped peanut butter micro challenges.

2 Likes

The thing I thought might be a hint of star road style secret levels turned out to not be that but I will be surprised if the game doesn’t have something like that since it seems to have just about everything else.

MM, were you thinking it would be the silver cubes strewn about each kingdom? still hoping for something like that.

I just beat the main game and was fooling around in the Mushroom Kingdom and got to the 2D pipe world where you have to keep within the moving 2D background or DIE and then the gravity changed and turned me upside down and suddenly I’m in a 2D version of Mario Galaxy and oh my god my brain can’t take it anymore. that is some serious platforming! this game isn’t kidding around. it’s breezy but challenging.

I was skeptical of the capture mechanic at first but holy crap, it’s so much fun. almost like Mario meets Kirby. you get to be a hammer bro! you get to be a fire plume and swim around in the lava jumping up at enemies! I absolutely plundered the Luncheon Kingdom… I could literally play an entire game with the spikey nose flicker chicken and it would be awesome.

game is magic.

3 Likes

Yep. Turns out you butt stomp them and they fly up into space, explode, and shower the level with additional moons. But you need moons to power the Odyssey to reach new places, even after the main game, so finding every moon will surely take you somewhere far away and special.

I love the capture mechanic. Was not expecting to be able to capture Bowser or those football players from Mario World, I smiled when I saw those guys show up since I don’t think they’ve been in a Mario game since then.

I’ve found lots of good challenging bits hidden away, like the one you mentioned. I got to a bonus stage that was giving me trouble before turning in last night that I think is requiring me to toss the cap, jump off it for more air, and then dive forward to be able to reach a swinging platform. At least that’s what I’m going to attempt because it’s way more fun to pull off than do it the way the game seems to be implying I should, which is just toss the cap into one of those white hats that turns into a platform. In this case the hat is juuuust out of range so I think it might be a red herring and the easier solution is to just be a platforming master.

GOTY

Just started playing this yesterday. Anyone pick up on the Mario Galaxy musical nod in the menus? If you pause, then go into subsequent submenus it plays a little bit of this:

Anyway this game is quite good

Odyssey is the good version of a n64 rareware game.

9 Likes

I’m really into the traditional Japanese style of Bowser’s Castle. In older Mario games, that was always one of the least interesting locations, but now it’s actually fun to explore. The music even sounds like an old Kurosawa score!

2 Likes

Man, if New Donk City weren’t enough already, the ending of this game really justifies the “Super Mario 2006” epithet. Except… in a good way? I loved the FLCL style anime-as-hell pop song over the final section.

2 Likes

Super Millenial Bros

2 Likes

I changed my mind: I no longer think these bosses are “pretty easy”. I now have more than 200 moons.

There are so many moons

I thought I had gotten most of them in Luncheon Kingdom, but going by the list I think I’m lucky if I got half