Steven Universe, don't tumblr my rocks!

Anyone who’s curious, the movie antagonist is a Spinel. She seems to be voiced by Sarah Stiles, who if you look her up certainly does have a voice to match that cackle. This information all came out of a series of random, disconnected blunders on Cartoon Network’s part today, all within the span of a couple of hours.

First they uploaded to social media a cropped, low-res, subtitled clip from that behind-the-scenes documentary that’s meant to accompany the movie’s DVD release. All was fine. Then later they tossed the full 16x9, high-res video on YouTube.

Posted against the back wall in one shot featuring Katie Mitroff (“Alone Together,” “We Need to Talk,” “The Test”) and someone I don’t immediately recognize are all sorts of character sheets for the main cast, including Cotton Candy Garnet (curiously, as she’s mixed in with all the updated character designs) and a Steven/Connie sheet I wish we could see more of.

blurry-connverse

And way to the left, visible only on YouTube, is the following:

In a later shot, the YouTube video is just barely high enough of a resolution that you can read a few lines of Estelle’s recording script, where that character name is repeated.

This in mind, someone on a whim started throwing crap at the official site, and found this:

EBU2V_VXoAozRPV

So. Okay. While all that was happening, Cartoon Network’s ad team decided in its wisdom to upload a cast list for the movie to the description in its YouTube ads that it’s been running. That cast list includes Aimee Mann, basically confirming that yes, Opal has a speaking role in the movie (surprising few); a previously undisclosed actor-and-singer who has worked with Aimee Mann, named Ted Leo; and Sarah Stiles. It’s not even a full cast list, as there are some known actors (e.g., Grace Rolek) not listed. But you look up Stiles on YouTube, and it’s… clear enough who she’s voicing. There’s some speculation about Leo’s role, but I don’t want to go there right now. People project stuff. Not enough to really go on, that I can see.

So. That was a weird afternoon.

As soon as word began to circulate, CN yanked the video down from most platforms, including the ones where you can’t really see anything. The rest of the stuff, though, I guess there wasn’t much to do.

The soundtrack is to be posted online the moment the movie’s done airing. It’s got 16 songs, plus 21 instrumental pieces.

The vinyl LP will be available later, in several variants.

EDIT:

iTunes lists full performers for each song, though it’s a pain in the neck to format your font and window size to see everything. Ripping the code is easier.

1. The Tale of Steven (feat. Christine Ebersole, Lisa Hannigan & Patti LuPone)
2. Once Upon a Time
3. Message to the Universe
4. Let Us Adore You (feat. Christine Ebersole, Lisa Hannigan, Patti LuPone & Zach Callison)
5. Home Sweet Home
6. Happily Ever After (feat. Zach Callison, Deedee Magno Hall, Estelle, Michaela Dietz, Tom Scharpling, Uzo Aduba, Jennifer Paz & Shelby Rabara)
7. The Arrival
8. Other Friends (feat. Sarah Stiles, Zach Callison, Deedee Magno Hall, Estelle & Michaela Dietz)
9. One on One
10. system/BOOT. PearlFinal (3).Info [feat. Deedee Magno Hall, Tom Scharpling, Zach Callison, Charlyne Yi, Erica Luttrell, Michaela Dietz & Sarah Stiles]
11. With Friends Like These
12. Crystal Gem Huddle
13. Who We Are (feat. Uzo Aduba, Zach Callison, Jennifer Paz, Shelby Rabara & Sarah Stiles)
14. Hijinks Will Ensue
15. Isn’t It Love? (feat. Estelle)
16. Search Party
17. Echoes of Friendship
18. No Matter What (feat. Zach Callison & Michaela Dietz)
19. Our Handshake
20. No Ordinary Injector
21. Disobedient (feat. Kate Micucci & Michaela Dietz)
22. Let’s Duet
23. Independent Together (feat. Ted Leo, Deedee Magno Hall & Aimee Mann)
24. Running Out of Time
25. Feelings Flooding Back
26. A Special World
27. Drift Away (feat. Sarah Stiles)
28. Found (feat. Sarah Stiles & Zach Callison)
29. Downward Spiral
30. True Kinda Love (feat. Estelle & Zach Callison) [From Steven Universe the Movie]
31. The Missing Piece
32. Change (feat. Zach Callison)
33. Not Good at All
34. There’s No Such Thing as Happily Ever After
35. Are We Interrupting Something?
36. Let Us Adore You (feat. Christine Ebersole, Lisa Hannigan, Patti LuPone & Sarah Stiles) [Reprise]
37. Finale (feat. Zach Callison, Deedee Magno Hall, Estelle, Michaela Dietz, Grace Rolek, Uzo Aduba, Jennifer Paz, Shelby Rabara, Kate Micucci, Mathew Moy, Tom Scharpling & Toks Olagundoye)

Biggest takeaway here: Amethyst and Sadie have a song together?

2 Likes

i am SO excited for this original video animation but it is going to take a minute for me to get used to Zach Callisons teenage Steven voice

it’s always good to see TOM

2 Likes

Everone see the whoops-didn’t-mean-to-announce-this about, uh, Steg?

Yeah, I was flagging posts in the SU subreddit that weren’t doing a good enough job hiding the nature of the spoiler in question.

1 Like

That last song I focused on? That’s the Mike Krol one.

1 Like

I didn’t know that Toonami was even still a thing.

Wasn’t someone around here nuts about Ski Free?

2 Likes

1 Like

forgive my SU shitposting, im rewatching the show. it’s a pretty good show imo

the s1 episode An Indirect Kiss might be low key one of my all time favorites, it has so many good jokes and fun drawings including these very relatable Steven faces

also has a poignant, very beautiful ending to the main story

(and one of my absolute favorite episode endings which i forgot to screencap with the frame story, the one where Connie pops out her lenses and puts her glasses back on looking all badass)

Oh and the episode title is the most dork-ass anime joke in the whole series

3 Likes

It’s such a weird one, but yeah, also a favorite. I love the whole rhythm of the framing device, which makes perfect bizarro kid-logic sense yet is crucial every step of the way to get us to the big wham ending.

All the dialogue in this one, mixed with the odd reasoning, is what makes it.

There’s a Rolling Stone article (“The Radical Kindness of ‘Steven Universe’”) circulating right now which is alleged to have big SU movie spoilers in it. It showed up in my reccomendations, but I hadn’t gotten to it yet before somebody posted a warning on the SU subreddit.

It’s a good one, that gets the heart of the show better than most non-lit-crit-fan-weirdo articles. The “big spoiler” of sorts is to do with the story events represented in part by that one amazing song title. It’s a thing that happens in the event of the story, you know. Not a big revelation or anything. It is an unusual event, but one that you’d know the machinations of plot would require undoing, so. A bit surprising, I guess, but nothing… like, that would spoil much, I would imagine. It’s just plot. But I’m a bad judge.

Having also read the article i’d say it’s a spoiler just because it’s not a plot point suggested by the trailer, so the Crewniverse were obviously trying to keep it under their hat. But it’s the type of spoiler that just whets my appetite for the thing, not that actually gives it all away

1 Like

Right; it seems clear that, much like the show, the movie is existentially more a mystery than an action adventure. This is just a setpiece among many, that serves to reinforce some stuff we already know. Knowing that it happens tells you nothing really about the central questions of the story.

A thing IanJQ recently posted, that never quite made it into the show’s text, is that the term “crystal gem” was a slur, connoting their perceived fragility, that eventually got co-opted and reclaimed. Which, uh, is kind of an amazing detail.

Like. Keep that in mind through the intro song, substituting whatwver allegorical term you prefer.

3 Likes

Yeah i really love that detail, it’s a shame they’ve never explained the reasoning behind the name in-show

1 Like

minor observation about the episode The Test (which is another one i really love): the reason Steven sees through the fake trials is because Garnet’s is just a little too hard. She believed in Steven too much!

2 Likes