Steven Universe, don't tumblr my rocks!

That run of four episodes, from “Lion 3” – whoof. Basically a total existential upgrade for the kid.

Speaking of which, as of today the writer/storyboarder who worked on a good part of season five is now known as Danny Cragg.

3 Likes

That sure was a spectacle! I probably have more thoughts on the movie, but I’m gonna take some time to reflect.

i appreciate how important respecting ppl’s identity is but i have no idea who this is

the one who was credited for Peridot’s character pivot?

1 Like
2 Likes

Funny thing is, in season five Danny took the place of Jesse Zuke (the Peridot one, yes) as Hilary Florido’s boarding partner.

Apparently Ms. Florido is a strong trans catalyst.

1 Like

Getting strong “Once More With Feeling” vibes from the movie in general.

This is my favorite bit at the moment.

He’s credited on the movie by his old name. Was half thinking they might leap in and change it at the very last minute, but guess three days out was a bit of an ask!

that was lovely and suitably high stakes and even more of a musical musical than i thought

my favorite part was the dragonball/fast and the furious logic of everyone joking about when they decided not to kill steven

3 Likes

This is the other piece that sticks with me right now…

1 Like

Oh and this is fun.

I don’t have cable. How was the movie? Was it an actual movie movie or just like a 40 minute - 1 hour special?

Every time I see this new bad guy I think of a Mega Man robot master.

It was a musical. Think “Mr. Greg” extended out to a much longer running length, and the art & animation felt higher than we usually get. The movie picks up two years after the events of the season 5 finale.

Personally, I thought the new gem seemed to be visually alluding to Mickey Mouse, and the animation really makes me think that resemblance is deliberate.

It was… fine, I guess? It was a great-looking accomplishment and everybody involved should be proud, and I’m glad we got this story, but I didn’t really get chills the way I would during moments like the Season 1 Finale, etc.

It’s 90 minutes long, and structurally modeled more or less after a Broadway musical. So it a different kind of project from the ongoing show.

It’s also made to be basically self-encapsulated, so you don’t need to have watched the show before. It actually spends several minutes catching people up and then most of its runtime plumbing kind of familiar themes, in order to reach a new sort of level of epiphany to work with going forward. That’s part of the big pitch, it seems, to try to get new people on board while they transition to What Comes Next for the show.

It is titled, Steven Universe: The Movie. And that’s what it is. It’s the movie version of everything that Steven Universe is.

The antagonist is a callback to 1920s-30s “rubber hose” animation, including, yeah, early Mickey Mouse shorts (as demonstrated by her Mouse Ear effect in regard to her pigtails, whenever she turns her head), but more significantly Max Fleischer, who has been a huge influence on Sugar and company. She’s even introduced with a frickin’ Cab Calloway pastiche.

2 Likes

As always happens with this show, a second or a third viewing brings out way more of the emotional content and the themes and really what they were going for here.

They’re really, really hammering on the whole cycle of abuse with this show, and shattering all of these concepts not only of good people and bad people but of structure as applied to life. Nothing stays the same, there are no real endings, and this adherence to the idea of stasis, of clinging to these absolute ideas of identity and closure and what-have-you is one of the most poisonous things we do all the time.

And again, like. The Very Clear Implications that stand out, once you take a step back at what’s happening.

My favorite line right now is kind of an obvious one, but it’s where Steven’s all…

This is the anti-“IF HILLARY HAD WON WE COULD ALL BE AT BRUNCH RIGHT NOW.”

Just cuz I have this Steven/Connie/Stevonnie obsession, they don’t make a big screaming deal about it, but look how obviously and deliberately Connie is aged here. Similar outfit, ages ~13-3/4 and ~15-3/4.

More adult proportions. Defined muscles. She’s looking like her mom.

After training with Pearl for two more years i’d be surprised if she wasn’t yoked lol

i really love that there’s a timeskip and cool adult versions of the kid main characters it’s yet another way this is a show ive dreamed of since i was 12

2 Likes

Seriously, though, listen to Bismuth’s song.

Steven: “Here we are in the future, and it’s wrong.”

Bismuth: “As long as one of us is standing to brandish the star, we’ll find a way to save the day. That’s who we are.”

Okay. From the way everyone had been talking for a while, I got the strong sense that they’d dragged Takafumi Hori back in for the movie. And yeah, he animated the fight sequences with Spinel.

2 Likes

THAT was a really good Steven Universe: The Movie

didn’t do much for me. I am predisposed to dislike musicals and this had way too many songs and reprises. The impactful/emotionally meaningful songs felt undercut by all the recap-songs