Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

I’d do it

Or them, I guess

you love a man who can cook eh

2 Likes

Haven’t seen a Voyager episode since high school but isn’t Neelix’s thing that he can’t cook actually

Neelix alternates between being a stunningly terrible cook and being an incredible cook BY EPISODE

The original idea for his character, which they immediately abandoned like every other idea in that show, was that he was a con artist who merely put on this facade of being a jovial warm-hearted goofball who was a great cook and storyteller. That explained why he sucked at cooking!

But then they forgot that which whatever I like Nice Neelix just fine too.

6 Likes

Everything he makes reflects the putrescence of his soul, so it is terrible, yes

4 Likes

hey neelunk 2010 called they want their menswear blog back

1 Like

Played in a Star Trek Adventures ttrpg session with some friends I know through online Achewood groups.

The character I created was based on this unused, terrible concept for a Voyager two-parter wherein the Silverblood bio-mimetic life form seen in Demon and Course: Oblivion arrived at Earth.

Here’s the bio I wrote up:

It came as quite a surprise to the Federation when the long lost starship Voyager returned to Earth at last. Again. Then again. Then again. Each with their own tale of wormholes, underspace conduits, enhanced warp drives, Warp 10 threshold experiments. The Silverblood of the “Demon-class” planet Voyager once was forced to land on had continued to create new Voyagers, each unaware they were copies, some successfully reaching Earth, per their mission. After a thrilling two-parter, the Silverblood were made a member species of the Federation, and settled on a Class Y planet near the Delta-Quad side of Federation space. Each new Voyager that arrives is routed here, where they rejoin their family once more.

The Silverblood still carry the same thirst for exploration and adventure their original selves did. Starfleet is an easy choice to “continue the mission” and go boldly into that great unknown.

This essentially means that I have the stats sheets for the Voyager crew on hand, and each session I pick one (Janeway, Tuvok, Tuvix, Harry Kim, etc) and rolepay them (as the Silverblood).

Now I’ve always wondered, “what would playing a Star Trek roleplaying game actually look like?” And now I know: We were investigating a missing person case (Jake Sisko), and one person on his transport looked suspicious. After a Star Trek chase, we detained them.

THEN, we as players realized we had to figure out what the fuck the Federation justice system looks like, based on what we’ve gleaned from the show. We also struggled to remember how this plays out in cop shows. The person would just immediately be given a lawyer in the Star Trek universe probably, then told not to say anything. How does questioning then take place? Shit we had no idea about.

Ultimately I roleplayed the lawyer while they roleplayed the security officer, I lost my roll, and I allowed the questioning to take place, for the sake of the game.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Incredibly disappointed in you, also notifying the bar committee to revoke your license

I legit had the thought while I was rping this lawyer “God I hope Cuba never finds out about this”

I do not know dick about due process it turns out. I learned it from watching Odo.

4 Likes

It’s heartening seeing a corporation trying, and failing, to capture the energy of a youtube poop.

2 Likes

the ferenginar episode of lower decks was so fun. it was actually really great seeing rom and leeta thriving like this. the war memorial for lost profits and the landlord cops tv show were my favorite capitalism gags.

4 Likes
5 Likes

an entire episode based around nostalgia for the constantly reused cave set on the parmount lot is niche even for LD but i still love it. Lower Decks really has evolved for me into just actually being the TNG era comfort food that it parodies

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/DaveBlass/status/1712100613146706235

Sleazy already noted this re: fwd: re: Kirk’s corpse, but they’re sorta just throwing this in as an easter egg but it’s insane that all of these things are now in-canon hoarded by the Federation after their frontier adventures.

This vault includes such trophies as:

SENTIENT LIVING PRISONERS (AI)

SENTIENT LIVING PRISONERS (Biological)

CORPSES OF ALLIED SPECIES

THE INNER LIGHT PROBE

DOGG THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THIS THING WAS FOR IT TO CONTACT DIFFERENT SPECIES OUT THERE IN THE COSMOS AND TELL THE TALE OF THEIR DEAD PEOPLE AND NOW IT’S IN A GUARDED BOX FOREVER

MANY WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION

MANY BIO-WEAPONS

I love the fact that they even still have this in a vault completely justifies the main villain of season 3 of Picard’s motivations.

THE EPISODE THIS IS FROM WAS ENTIRELY ABOUT HOW ONLY THE FEDERATION COULD BE TRUSTED TO HELP DESTROY THIS WEAPON AND ENSURE THE KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO MAKE IT WOULD NEVER BE SHARED

AAAAAAAAAA

3 Likes

Enjoyed “Caves” a lot. Was kinda worried this entire thing was going to be the one single gag of “they constantly are getting lost in the same three cave sets” but it managed to do that while also telling four delightful vignettes, and being itself a fun cave adventure episode.

Good stuff.

Wow LD actually went emotionally and narratively deep tying in with the original TNG Lower Decks and First Duty. I don’t know how this plays to people who did not watch the 30 year old episodes of television they are referencing but it’s kind of an amazing television move to have the weekly episodes be mostly episodic and the serialized elements come from the expansive Franchise Timeline. Also nice to get any information on Thomas Riker whatsoever even as a throwaway line.

Interesting to me to think of Mariner as a vaguely Wesley Crusher aged war veteran in a post-Nemesis, pre-ST2009, pre-Picard timeline.’

EDIT: Wait she’s what if Kim stayed an old ass Ensign on purpose!

4 Likes

I haven’t had the energy lately to effortpost about it but I want you all to know I’m still watching through TOS. Just watched The Tholian Web last night. I’ve found that 50/50 THC/CBD candies pair exceptionally well with this show and make even the weakest episodes fairly enjoyable. I’ve had a few times where I’ve started an episode sober, and then as the edible kicks in things get substantially more entertaining. I’m like, “was this episode this good all along or am I just stoned?”

It’s cliche to say I guess, but that Kirk/Spock/Bones dynamic really is the reason to watch the show. The inconsistent writing across episodes actually sometimes enhances the effect, like, “oh, in this episode everyone’s just in a bad mood and sniping at each other… I wonder what happened that morning.” There’s one season 3 episode where Kirk is really pissy for no reason and refers to Spock as “Science Officer” instead of his name, and you get this great reaction shot of Spock raising his eyebrow while everyone else on the bridge looks surprised and concerned. There are so many moments like that where it’s very clear why Kirk/Spock was such a foundation of shipping.

Anyway my number one biggest takeaway from TOS is that I’m now obsessed with Gary Seven. How had I not heard about this before? A whole semi-competent Star Trek spinoff glimpsed at but nipped in the bud. It’s so weird, like mostly a Dr. Who knockoff, but with a very slight amount of Sapphire & Steel energy. I would watch that show! And I keep thinking about an alternate universe where Star Trek never got revived but Gary Seven became a pillar of pop culture…

13 Likes

This was a fantastic Lower Decks finale. It’s wild how the cartoon that looks like Family Guy is not only better at being a regular Star Trek show but better at making me actually care about like serialized dramatic universe threatening stakes than Picard or Disco. One of my favorite eps.

8 Likes

Really, really enjoyed The Inner Fight. Doesn’t quite make up for how deranged Mariner has been this season, but that ep and the finale were very good.

It’s crazy how even when SNW fumbles its season finales a bit, Lower Decks still nails em each time. Not an armada v armada standoff in sight.

Also: