Spring Cleaning 2022

Gonna pick up this thread convention because, for the first time in my life, I am considering writing an actual backlog. My list only has RPGs, since I have a habit of starting one, making significant progress, then moving onto the next one. I think it’s a valid way for the genre to be enjoyed, but jesus christ I have played so many. It’s time to come back to finish the stories I started.

I’m ordering my list by tiers of priority. You don’t have to. This is just the new thread for posting your actual backlog lists for 2022. It warrants a new thread because letterboxd for games is for a specific social media service, and the last spring cleaning was for 2020, and obviously a lot has changed for people these last two years.

“Just Play This One You Paid $60 For It”

• Elden Ring

“I’m Literally At The Final Boss”

• SMTV
  • Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Wizardry I (lol)

“Very Close To Finishing”

• Xanadu Next

“Lost My Save File And Have To Restart”

• SMTIII: Nocturne HD Remaster

Low-prio

• Tactics Ogre (SFC)
  • Dragon Quest III (GBC)
  • Dragon Quest V (SFC; this one is torture)
25 Likes

really just have that one huge backlog i sometimes pick games out of but there’s some abandoned or slow progress games that i’d like to get back to

high priority:

• shadow tower
  • yomawari midnight shadows
  • morrowind
  • final fantasy tactics
  • medium-naut

low priority:

• final fantasy iii 3d

high priority but tiring:

• resident evil (non-dualshock)
  • disgaea
  • baba is you
  • romancing saga 2
8 Likes

“I bought it and waited a long time for it, I should play it regularly”

Gran Turismo 7

“I bought it a while ago and won’t stop talking about it, so I should finish it”

Solatorobo
Dillon’s Dead Heat Breakers

“I bought this a while ago but never popped the disk into my console”

Rez
Kero Blaster (PS4)
JSRF

“Need to remember where I left off, and all the game systems, and what I was doing”

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Chrono Trigger
Mother 3
Yoshi’s Island
Castlevania, Aria of Sorrow
Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Ace Combat 4
Peter Jackson’s “King Kong” The official game of the movie

“Need to get beyond the first dungeon already”

Golden Sun
Bloodborne
Metroid Prime
Jeanne D’arc

“Really just need to restart”

Armored Core 3

8 Likes

I like the idea of Disgaea and TRPGs in general more than I do the exectution and playing them. Being able to move around a bunch of little guys as opposed to just picking moves makes a big difference.

2 Likes

I tend to find games like Disgaea pretty tiring nowadays as well, and I usually alleviate that by only playing the story chapters and in sequential order, usually with the main cast since they have the best stats. I did this with 2 last year and 5 at the beginning of this year.

Being under leveled in those games is really fun, in my opinion more fun than the big number simulator it markets itself as. If you just go chapter by chapter they tend to take about 14ish hours and are a lot more enjoyable as tactics experiences. The first game is pretty janky with its difficulty curve so I’m not sure if it’s feasible to only do one clear per level but it tends to remove most of the busy work.

Spring cleaning backlog:
My room is so full of unread books and my computer is so full of unfinished games, it feels like I’ve made all of my media choices for my lifetime already.

I’m mostly just hoping to beat about 12 games I’ve had installed on game pass since last year so I can finally stop hemorrhaging money. or at least what I think are the “must plays”, so

• DQ11
  • Katamari Damacy
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Outer wilds
  • Grim Fandango

and then apart from that,

• Bloodborne
  • SMT Strange Journey

I’d be pretty happy if I get these done in a season, I think.

6 Likes

i replayed this in a single sitting last year. definitely breezy as long as you dont fixate on trying to get a good clear on certain heinous stages

5 Likes

Dang this saves me from writing the opening post. Thanks slime! Dakota did the 2021 thread though I do not remember the name of it.

Now to get writing my list or that other thread I was going to make!

2 Likes

High Priority

• Enthusia Professional Racing
  • Sekiro

Near Completion

• Captain Toad
  • Ape Escape
  • Gran Turismo 4 (B-spec only any% playthrough)
  • Dragon Quest V

Underplayed

• Death Stranding
  • Front Mission 3
  • Nioh (might pass on it this year just because there’s only so much soulsborne I can handle)
  • Silent Hill 2 (should probably play this more before my friend asks for his copy back)
9 Likes

i’m currently in the middle of demon’s souls > yakuza 6 > dark souls > judgment > dark souls 2 > yakuza 7 > dark souls 3 > judgment 2 > sekiro and i guess that’ll describe me all spring

7 Likes

20 Likes

Priority:
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of The First Sin - I don’t have money for elden ring and this scratches the itch

At the last section:
Half Life 2: Update - started playing it before I left for my film job because I watched that documentary on the Black Mesa game
Prey - my xbox game pass expires in a month and I should finish it

5 Likes

Games I’m actually gonna finish no matter what:
Ace combat 7
REmake
EDF 2025
Shenmue 1

Games I will try soon but might bounce off of immediately:
Alien isolation
La mulana (remake)
RE2make - played the demo and pretty sure I’m gonna love this though
RPG time the legend of wright
Sekiro
Yakuza 0

I got Xbox live so I’m trying to make the most of it and play a lot of online games for the next few months. Mostly Halo MCC, but I also bought Tekken 7 and dbfz because I bet the online population is big enough to have an ok time, even if they use delay based netcode or whatever. I was also surprised edf 2025 there are always people playing online, I mean it’s not cross play with the PC one so that’s some dedicated-ass people still playing the original release on Xbox, very cool.

4 Likes

currently playing hitman 3 and stranger of paradise at a rate of like, 2 hours a week or something when i get chance. not finding hitman 3 as compelling as the previous games but maybe that’s just me

meaning to replay tactics ogre sfc for the ~fourth time and maybe revisit dq11 now i have that newer version on two different platforms

3 Likes

Whenever I have spare time I can just play 14 it’s so nice to say goodbye forever to the idea of playing other videogames

6 Likes
3 Likes

I got the notion in my head that in 2022 I should try and finish one game I’ve never beaten for every console I’ve owned (pre-NES excluded as god knows where they are or if they are even capable of being beaten, also ports allowed) and while I don’t know which game it’ll be for each, I can at least note the most likely contenders for each.

NES: Bionic Commando, Battle of Olympus, Castlevania III

SNES: Contra III, Demon’s Crest

Genesis: Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, Landstalker, Shinobi III

N64: Paper Mario, Star Soldier

PS1: Dino Crisis 2, Mega Man Legends 2, Vagrant Story

PS2: no idea, maybe Stuntman or Silent Hill 4?

GBA: Ninja Five-O, Mario Kart Super Circuit

Wii: Dead Space Extraction, Jambo Safari

Nintendo DS: Bangai-O Spirits, rhythm tengoku gold

PS3: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Hitman: Absolution

Wii U: Super Mario 3d World

Already done: Gamecube (Killer 7), Gameboy (Mega Man), PS4 (Mortal Kombat 11), 3DS (Layton vs Phoenix)

I still have a Dreamcast but am unsure if it works, much less if it can still play imported games so I’ll leave that unlisted for now.

Oh yeah, I also got a few hundred random PC indie games from various bundles, so knocking some of those out as well would be nice.

…Plus Give Up the Ghost, obviously.

13 Likes

This is it, the year I kill the backlog!

Currently Playing
Pokemon Legends Arceus

Backlog
Danganronpa Decadence
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Final Fantasy VIII
Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye
Anodyne 2
Rhem
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe

One game recommendation I saw floating around was Dead End Aegis. The recommendations feel like a plea by VN diehards to legitimise a shock-hentai eroge, or a sort of horrific content dare along the lines of Funny Games or something similarly joyless. Content Warning it’s about horribly violent tentacle/military sanctioned rape, hidden from the public in a deep space outpost to justify giving the heroines superpowers to fight eldritch aliens. The fiction allegedly treats this situation as horror and with some sympathetic depth (for the heroines) but it’s primary function is surely obvious. For whatever reason the premise is stuck in my head and so it seems I am the horrible pervert. That or it happened to make me blink when scanning the thousands of games I see rec’d. Either way, consider this a cry for help from me.

5 Likes

Currently Playing
Dark Souls 2
Chrono Cross on the rg351v (theoretically)
Shining Force CD
Ryu Ga Gotoku Isshin!

Just Play This One You’ve bought it twice
Dragon Quest XI

Up Next
Lost Judgement
G Darius HD (waiting for the patch)

You started this then felt the cold hand of death creeping on you
Final Fantasy VIII
Disco Elysium
Mudrunner

Remember playing games on PC?