Spring Cleaning 2023

Last Year’s Here

Imagine my thought process when I went, “It’s almost May 1st I need to make the Spring Cleaning Thread. … wait.” That’s right time to look at our shelves and accounts and rom folders and take account of the games we’ve bought. The games we’ve downloaded. The games we’ve gotten and gone “I want to play that.” It’s the backlog thread of 2023!

3 Likes

Currently
Many Many PC Engine Games
Spriggan (PCE) Any Credit Clear
Death Stranding Replay

PC
Zwei The Arges Adventure
Spark The Electric Jester 3
That full Ocarina of Time Romhack (n64)
Metal Gear 2 (MSX/PS2)
Gods Will Be Watching
Ex-Zodiac
From Dust
Firmament
Bullet Garden
Sonic Lost World
Planet of Lana (Game Pass)
Pentiment (Game Pass)

PS4
Great Ace Attorney 1 and 2
Rayforce Collection
Lost Judgement
Dragon Quest XI
Atari 50
Same! same! Same!
Cannon Dancer

Switch
No More Heroes 2

Mister
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Zunou Senkan Galg (Famicom)
Journey to Silius (Famicom)
Arkista’s Ring NES
Krion conquest NES
Little nemo NES
Magic of the scherszade NES
Ghost lion NES
Power Blade NES
Monster party NES
Clash at demon head NES
Little Samson NES
Star Fox EX 2.0 (SNES)

3DS
Phoenix Wright 3 Japanese
Soul of Darkness DSi
Annoymous Notes 3 DSi
Metal Torrent DSi
X-Scape DSi
Kami
Crash City Mayhem
Aero Porter
Sonic Triple Trouble Game Gear
GG Shinobi
Pocket Jockey
3D Archives Final Stage
Sonic Generations

PS3
Armored Core For Answer
Armored Core Verdict Day

4 Likes

gosh I sure hope marina is doing well

I will post my backlog tomorrow when I am more coherent

8 Likes

So I as always am gonna sidestep the actual topic just the tiniest bit as I have a summer project I am lining up, which is basically to convert the last three months of the PS+ I purchased solely to play Elden Ring as intended to the next tier up and try a bunch of games from its catalogue. I went through and actually categorized things a bit, so I’ll just C&P it here:

Full Play (likely)
Stray
Telling Lies
The Pedestrian
Humanity
Hollow Knight

Definitely shot/possible full play
Doom
Gabbuchi
Ghostrunner
Guardians of the Galaxy
Paradise Killer
Resident Evil 7
Spiritfarer
The Forgotten City
Transformers devastation

Intriguing games could get into
Ace Combat 7
Devil May Cry V
Doom Eternal
Ghostwire Tokyo
Haven
John Wick Hex

Long games to get a taste of
Returnal
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Maybe/Oddities/Idle Curiosity
Balan Wonderworld
Blasphemous
Chicken Police
Death Stranding (DC?)
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
The Evil Within 2
Wonderful 101
Toem
Subnautica

Now it’s not quite a true spri… summer cleaning as I don’t intend to play through all of them (the bottom 60% of the list is basically “eh, give them an hour or two and see what’s up”), but close enough. Feel free to praise/criticize the listed games or yell at me about ones I overlooked.

Oh yeah, also left a spot open in my calendar this summer for Disaster Report 4.

4 Likes

Upcoming Releases

• Street Fighter 6

Nearing Completion (<7 hours left)

• Crash Bandicoot 4
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Stranger of Paradise

Short-Term Interests

• Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • One Step from Eden
  • Tourist Trophy

Long-Term Grinds

• Dragon Quest VII
  • Fate stay/night Réalta Nua
  • Super Robot Wars Alpha
2 Likes

heads up, Wonderful 101 Remastered left PS+ Extra on April 18, and John Wick Hex is leaving mid-June

Returnal is an incredible game, give it some time if you can. one of the best PS5 games

highly highly highly recommend director’s cut for Death Stranding. the monster energy branding is really not a big deal, but the other changes in DC are a huge improvement. it also doesn’t extend the length of the game at all if you are just going for story missions, but it does add a bunch of new tools to the sandbox. playing the non-DC would be kinda pointless imo

also recommend giving Vampyr a shot if you haven’t played it, great RPG

3 Likes

Here’s what I’m working on:

Active

Everybody’s Golf
Humanity
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Rain World

Dabbling

World of Final Fantasy
Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly
Driver '76
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
Ridge Racer (2011)

Slowly working through

Castlevania Anniversary Collection
Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood

3 Likes

i am playing xenoblade 2 and gran turismo 2 (having just finished all the events in gran turismo 1). tears of the kingdom is up next when i get through xenoblade (which won’t be for another couple dozen hours, so probably a few months)

i wanna play through bokunatsu 1 again sometime soon. i’ve studied a lot more japanese since the last time i played it (prob a decade ago) and i think i’d get a lot more out of it. still feeling very affected by my couple-years-ago playthrough of bokunatsu 3. i also might instead just import and play natsumon when it comes out later this summer

i wanna somehow force myself to get into ffxi with my wife again. we’re still separated by an international border and will be for another year or two, so this seems like the perfect time to play it! we played it consistently for a few months while we were dating and it was so nice to have a huge virtual 3d space to explore that felt like it was just ours. lots of pics and wonderful memories

always grinding on iidx, i’ve cleared 20-30 12s? hard cleared one, AA hard failed another on the very last note the other day. still a huge climb ahead of me

i’m also most of the way through a ps3 demon’s souls platinum run, so i’d like to finish that up

wish i could quit my job and just play games for a while lol

edit: tgm!! stoked on tgm2 coming out soon. kinda walled in tgm1 around s1-s2 level but still enjoying it

7 Likes

PLAYING [theoretically at this point, haven’t touched some of these giants in months]
The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
FF7 Remake (Platinum trophy attempt)
Sky Odyssey (literally a few missions left)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Final Fantasy VIII

Backlog [this has become a mess, used to be like 3 games]
Rhapsody
Dead End Aegis
Assassin’s Creed Origins DLC
Metroid Prime Remastered
Shinobi (PS2)
Crystal Slaves
Hi-Fi Rush
Firmament
Tales of Berseria
Dead Space Remake
Tetris: The Grand Master

Coming soon
Decarnation
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy XVI
Master Detective Archives: RAINCODE

2 Likes

Damn, I just haven’t been playing much in the way of video games lately. At least until Tears hit. Now I’ve already put 70 hours in in the last two weeks.

Currently
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Sekiro [theoretically; I started a fresh restart, but I still am not getting into a combat groove so I may not go back to it again for a long time]
Yakuza 7 [haven’t played it in like a year, but do want to return to it]
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [started a replay right before Tears came out and actually wanna finish it]
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [started a replay right before Tears came out and… might go back to it]

Switch
Kentucky Route Zero
Rain World
Wonderful 101
Okami [lol; I’ve been ‘meaning to play’ this game since 2006]
Return of the Obra Dinn

PS4/PS5
Final Fantasy XVI [coming in 4 weeks; I bought the fucking PS5 for this, so I better play it]
Titan Fall 2 [this was on my 2020 Spring Cleaning list lol]
Odin Sphere [same]
Tales of Bersaria [same]

PC
Nier Replicant
Nier Automata [replay]
All 100+ games on my itch.io “To Play” list
killer7 [replay]
Control
Disco Elysium [maybe; I bounced off it pretty hard, but wanna give it another chance]
Norco
Red Dead Redemption II [maaaaybe]

PS3
Armored Core for Answer [it’s in my PS3, so there’s a chance this actually happens!!]

EDIT: I also want to go to the local barcade and play a lot more Joust and Killer Queen

2 Likes

That was good to know! I decided to start with John Wick Hex because of this, played until midway through the second world where a boss fight just kept stomping me out and decided that was enough. I can only handle tactic games when they are basically puzzle ones and… this one was not. Wonderful 101 was literally the last game I added as I assume it’s still better on the Wii U so not a huge loss there.

@a_new_duck amazingly I have not played most of those itch games, but dug Growmi a good deal as a neat Snakebird/BoxBoy hubrid puzzle platformer. Luminous looks neat but is sadly kinda bad, Moonleap is exactly the game it appears to be, and Putty Putter got hard enough that I couldn’t even finish the demo.

2 Likes

Currently:

• Mega Man Legends 2
  • Fortnite (got to finish the season!)
  • Doom 2?
  • Chulip

Next up:

• MGS3
  • Raw Danger
  • Drakenguard

Things I wanna do next

• Make My own Doom Wad
2 Likes

Oh baby. This is quite a ride. Looking forward to hearing impressions

1 Like

zoldo

13 sentinels
digital devil saga 1+2
lost judgment

maybe I’ll get this done before armored core 6
probably not

4 Likes

go back to finish zone of the enders, finally play to the end of saga 2 gb and finish this ff13 run, maybe finish saga scarlet grace urpina story, then play baroque saturn patch, boku 2 patch, marl kingdom 2 & 3 and armored core 6 when they drop

3 Likes

In the short term:

Tears of the Kingdom
Love, Love 2 & Love 3 (all helpfully bundled into the digital release of the third game)
Various mobile games I’ve had on my phone for a while that I’ve been meaning to actually check out

2 Likes

oh yeah i absolutely must get a wireguard container going and try dragon quest 10

1 Like

So I basically did this, hilariously my sub ended the day Sony announced the big PS+ price hike so this will likely be the only time I do such a thing (Game Pass on the other hand…). Anyways the original post had the list of games I was looking to get to and I got to most of them, so what I am gonna do is rank the ones I played from best to least best without thinking it through at all beforehand, plus like a sentence or so worth of thoughts on each.

Hollow Knight: Never found the sword upgrade guy which made bosses tricky, plus ignored all the post-game stuff, but as-is its one of the better indie metrovanias I’ve come across.

Humanity: This was a neat puzzle game with immaculate presentation that would go on almost impossible to predict mechanical digressions.

Paradise Killer: Neat world to run and jump around with amazingly absurd characters, was a bit slack in the end “tying up loose ends” stage but otherwise loved seeing the mystery through to the end.

Doom (2016): Way too long particularly in the middle, but once I internalized always moving and glory killing to gain health it resulted in a surprisingly solid game flow.

Resident Evil 7 (first hour): Got the intro to this was just absurdly well done but it really felt like something I wanted to play either around Halloween or a darker time of year as opposed to mid-summer.

Ghostrunner: Kinda like a precision platformer take on Mirror’s edge if it lost any sense of style. One hit combat was a good idea, generally a hit or miss experience but when it hit it really hit.

Stray: I enjoyed taking in the aesthetic, gameplay itself is basically frictionless but given its short length the positives were able to keep up before the negatives could overwhelm.

The Forgotten City: A time loop narrative “talk to a lot of people and figure out what’s going on” experience, the rule people were forced to live under was intriguing and not every twist was predictable but mainly it was an alright idea implemented better than I’d have expected.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits: All those PS2 action/adventure/platformers had a baby and it learned how to fight from Souls games. A touch less than the sum of its parts.

Spiritfarer: I played this all the way through because of a borderline evil gameplay loop, sure was pretty to look at.

Guardians of the Galaxy (first mission): This had a lot more character than I expected, and at least the opening area was interesting to take in. Gameplay felt as standard as possible.

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge: I played through all of this, thought it was neat, remember none of it a month or so later besides being too long.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (first few hours): Against all odds this seemed to mostly work for me? Will likely revisit at some point in the future.

Ghost of Tsushima (an hour or two): God this is a ridiculously pretty game that seems to just be open world best practices with maybe slightly interesting combat.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon (45 minutes): I liked the characters and world, could not get a feel if I could tolerate the jrpg gameplay for the 50+ hours it’d require but I lean towards no.

Telling Lies: Basically a worse Her Story, I think the story and basic idea work but it had severe implementation issues (rewinding and fast-forwarding were way too slow) that were a drag the longer the game went on.

Doom Eternal (first mission): Still seemed solid but there were significant design red flags that scare me regarding the full game.

Ghostwire Tokyo (3 or 4 hours?): Played a bit as it was different and at times interesting, played a bit more and felt like I saw all it was gonna offer.

Midnight Fight Express (until the first boss): Only tried as my sis said her husband was currently playing it and could use something to talk with him about, is a solid 3d beat 'em up but not sure how much depth there is gonna be to it.

Transformers Devastation: A budget knock-off of a Platinum game made by themselves, loved the classic voices and designs but while technically solid was kinda dry and one note.

Haven (90ish minutes): Seemed like an alright attempt at a relationship focused narrative game for people who thought Saga was neat, jrpg battles was a turn off but mainly just couldn’t find much mechanically to grab onto.

The Pedestrian: Puzzle game that just felt more like a slog than a fun mental problem to piece together, naturally this was successful somehow.

Death’s Door (through the first major boss): This felt like I should have liked it but it just left me cold, it may be as simple as just not liking the aesthetic at all.

Returnal (died on the first boss a few times): I don’t care for Roguelites and this did nothing to convince me otherwise. Is probably fine and I’d have enjoyed it if it was just a linear experience.

Devil May Cry V (idk, an hour or so?): Seems okayish but it didn’t really click with me, couldn’t internalize things and it got hard and I wasn’t having a lot of fun so I stopped.

Death Stranding: Director’s Cut (3+ hours, middle of episode 2): Man I thought this was just mechanically boring and didn’t buy into the story. As someone who loves to see if I can climb up big rock structures or “boundary” walls in games where you aren’t supposed to, looking for places I can jump up to without sliding back down I found doing that markedly more interesting than whatever this was doing. I played itch games for over a year straight and none of them had a dumber character name than Die Hard Man.

John Wick Hex (midway through the second area): I am bad with tactics games but this seemed more like a puzzle one, but by the second area I was just beyond my means and not enjoying banging my head against that specific wall.

Ace Combat 7 (somewhere in the second mission): Okay this is probably a solid game but I am dreadful at it, like died in the second mission repeatedly despite it apparently still being a tutorial one bad at it. Thought Ace Combat 2 was fine but simply put my mind just can’t parse this game for whatever reason.

Inscryption (second set of battles): I don’t like roguelikes or card builders but this got a lot of hype so figured it’d be worth trying; I hated it. The subscription system works!

Anyways it cost less than $15 to upgrade my plan to try all these so… I guess this was a successful endeavor~

3 Likes

enjoyed reading your PS+ takes! very amusingly, our tastes differ wildly (i utterly despise Hollow Knight, while Death Stranding and Returnal are among my favorite PS5 games).

i’m really mad about that price hike, what a shit move by sony.

4 Likes

Oh I definitely feel like this is an August game. That deep humid simmering bayou heat. Everything wet and rotting and stuffy and unbearable.

2 Likes