Sonic Mania

It’s on Spotify in the UK at least. Several Sega soundtracks are.

Also I am terrible at the Sonic 3 Special Stages in 60hz.

Wow, that’s impressive.

That makes me wonder how the heck did I manage to beat the game on a GG when I was a kid. I think I wasn’t even 9 y/o? I got all the emeralds, too.

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have the patience to repeat that nowadays.

Oh my god it has a Sonic CD style intro. Sega is hitting every nostalgia note perfectly.

August 15th! $20 digital on everything!

6 Likes
3 Likes

these remixed levels are really cool but hope they show a couple more original ones soon

1 Like

oh cool, they added a water stage

1 Like

to be fair, it does not appear to have any actual water in it?

kinda hoping they do a fun version of a sonic 4 level because why not

1 Like

(don’t mind me, I’m just being passive-aggressive about a prior discussion)

i think sleazy meant the new version doesn’t have water

though technically the old version didn’t either, it had the toxic chemical mega mack

don’t get me started again

that is not a good version of that song

i’d even go so far to say it’s a bad version?

After trying to get into Sonic games by playing the Genesis ones about a decade ago (I wasn’t a Sega kid), I was pretty frustrated with them and then Sonic 4 looked like shit. Sonic Generations was a little fun. I’ve never been hype for a Sonic game before.

But somehow I’m frothing for this nonsense.

I mean a megadrive sonic game without wildly inconsistent level design is objectively pretty great and I think that’s what this is shaping up to be

generations was pretty great considering

While it lacks the perfect, laser-focused FM synth rock of the original track (and let’s face it it’s hard not to prefer that version), I still kind of really dig this take as the alternate-reality what if Sonic 2 was on the Sega CD version.

also for anyone who hasn’t heard it, the original demo that is weird as hell because who can imagine it was ever this slow:

also cool fact, the pink stuff in Chemical Plant wasn’t water, it’s Fun Poison and that makes it not a water level because you are not supposed to be in it ok

5 Likes

if the split is 60/40 old/new like they said then i guess the level lineup in this game is maybe

green hill
chemical plant
a sonic 3 retro level
flying battery
stardust speedway
another retro level

mirage saloon
studiopolis
another new level
another new level

“Mega Mack” would have been a pretty sick MC name for me in a different life

2 Likes