Sonic Mania

I’m still bummed the nomad didn’t do better, it was the only sega hardware I ever owned apart from the dreamcast and it was so good

conversely I’m surprised whenever I hear about how many people owned a game gear because that thing had a terrible library and equally bad battery life

2 Likes

But COLOUR!

And you could WATCH TV on it (tuner sold separately)!

I dunno, personally the idea of a portable Master System was appealing, given it was all I had for quite a while.

2 Likes

But color! The indistinguishable smudges were in color!

3 Likes

i’m surprised it hasn’t had some kind of emulation-fuelled surge in popularity, considering how many anime licenses are on it

it also had some backlit so i could play it in the dark. the whole thing had such a solid heft to it, which makes sense because it guzzled a lot of batteries.

i remember having a good time with Tails Adventure and one of the super hard Star Wars games for it

1 Like

I don’t know why y’all are talking about ghosting re:my point

here’s Sonic 2 on the MS:

look at all that damn room

same place on the GG:

oh god there’s nowhere to hide from the balls

1 Like

making 8-bit sonic games was just a bad call to begin with

okay I’m at work and may not be able to follow up but here’s where I draw the line

right here

4 Likes

somehow even a shittier take than hating on the glider

my god

2 Likes

oh hey I haven’t taken part in this thre

Tails dies

Tails dies

Tails dies

Tails diesTails diesdiesTail Tails dies Tails

every day we stray further from god’s light

5 Likes

the extremely bad and unfun hang glider deserves all of the scorn that the sonic 3 barrels get

Game Gear was a huge part of my baby gamer upbringing and it’s super weird to me how rarely I ever think about it

2 Likes

anyone else have some wrong opinions to share

is someone going to claim Spinball is actually good

or the US soundtrack to CD is better than the JP/EU one

2 Likes

I do, in fact, love spinball

the physics are pretty bad but the level design makes me happy

I think it was also the only sonic game that was obviously based on the cartoon designs?

3 Likes

honestly didn’t care much for the 8-bit 1 & 2, but Sonic Drift 2 sure was a thing i had on Game Gear

I can’t remember if Triple Trouble was any good

1 Like

iirc triple trouble was like mario land 2, they finally got the physics/visuals to feel like the full-fat console versions but the result was a more facile game

2 Likes

what if the bonus stages for Sonic Mania are varied and different like Sonic 3 and every now and again you get one that’s just a level from Sonic Labyrinth on the Game Gear as a cruel joke

2 Likes

were playable? enjoyable? for once?

1 Like

whoa there

only the sonic 2 ones were unplayable

especially if you had tails with you

2 Likes

Hey come on now, Sonic 2’s and 3’s are difficult but they’re still enjoyable.

Sonic 1’s…I have a soft spot for, but damn do I throw a fit when I hit those GOALs.

Most of the 8-bit SSs are either trash or a total pain in the arse to get to though, I’ll concede that.