Sonic Mania

Still so surprised that SEGA actually listened and made a game the fans want. My hopes couldn’t be higher.

2 Likes

Well, I mean, hasn’t the issue been that there has never been a more particularly fragmented videogame fandom than Sonic fans

It’s literally impossible to make a game all Sonic fans will like

4 Likes

well with it not being a dating sim I think a lot of that is mitigated.

1 Like

That’s a huge portion of the Sonic fandom, though

“Sonic fan” is the most implacable term imaginable

There’s as many people who will groan at new Sonic characters (“why can’t it be like the good old days when it was just Sonic and a couple other pals?”)as there are who will get excited about them (hell yeah more character interactions and fuel for my fanfic")

But there’s no voice acting, right?

This post but in the thread about how in sonic forces you can make your own character

1 Like

late to the thread but this is a bad take

gotta get them emeralds bruh

1 Like

:gotohell:

1 Like

Given I was a Master System kid growing up and probably played more of the SMS titles than MD ones, I feel completely justified in saying that Sonic 2 SMS can fuck right off with that horseshit emerald placement.

Music rules, though.

3 Likes

I can’t believe Tails dies at the end. What monster came up with that? Isn’t there enough misery in the world already?!

4 Likes

He dies because you didn’t get the emeralds

Because they’re nearly impossible to get

Sonic 2 SMS is a bleak tragedy ;_;

Normally I approve of media that traumatises children but I have to draw the line somewhere.

SEGA’s very own Plague Dogs. Maybe their next Sonic reboot can be a riff on The Animals of Farthing Wood.

1 Like

I thought this was a joke and then i looked it up. Why would Sega do this to me

2 Likes

I never got far enough to find out for myself when I was a child, not owning a Master System myself, so what left more of an odd impression on me was the setup for the first boss, where Robotnik saves you from a certain horrible death in a lava pit just so he can have the satisfaction of one of his own creations being responsible for your demise.

2 Likes

That ending hit me hard to be honest, with Sonic running on his own… I was young ok

Also did you know the first level was actually supposed to be one of the later ones? It was somehow put at the start by accident? Explains a lot

1 Like

Even just thematically it seemed like such an odd place to start a game, but that made it all the more memorable.

1 Like

the first two master system sonics were made by ancient, weren’t they?

can’t hear your bitching over doing the first boss on the Game Gear’s screen

3 Likes

now you’re making me nostalgic for nomad ghosting

1 Like

If it was anything like GG ghosting, I’m right there with you pal

@loki Ancient was definitely behind the first one, but it looks like a company called Aspect handled Sonic 2 and a few other of the 8-bit Sonics.