so what else can we call metroidvanias

2 Likes

vidconclass

Seriously though, lawnmower sim is maybe my favorite SB vidconclass name. it’s so useful and any time I have used it, people instantly know what you mean with only the slightest explanation.

2 Likes

Yeah I love using lawnmower sim as a descriptor

is “lawnmower sim” about going back and forth sucking up map icons in Ubisoft games?

5 Likes

yes exactly that

4 Likes

An apex of the form is Crackdown 1, where they served as micro-platforming challenges.

In general I think these are descended from collectabobs in the dead 3D platformer genre; their primary purpose is to give the player cause to poke into corners and notice micro bits of level design but they’re too often placed without thought or wit.

And you can’t build levels if you can’t tell a joke.

3 Likes

is Crackdown 1 at all acknowledged as an influence on Shadow of Mordor’s Nemesis system? The way the gangs were organized such that each gang leader had a distinct and specific influence on their control of the island as a whole and the order you take them out alters the feel of later locations; killing the weapons dealer will mean the gang will be using cheaper weapons, etc

2 Likes

Seems like it’s coming at a similar problem from a different direction. Personally, I didn’t feel like the changes to the gangs were pronounced enough that replaying while taking bosses out in a different order was sufficiently meaningful.

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of but it’s worth asking! Nemesis was envisioned at the start or Mordor’s development but that project coalesced as a fusion of a canceled Assassin’s-tinged Batman game and a canceled Lord of the Rings game and the stamping out of any multi-game development as the ruins of Surreal, Snowblind, and Monolith existing in WB Games Seattle reasserted as a one-project studio, Monolith, with one last shot at a game before closure.

It’s why the codename for Mordor was Project Firebird.

2 Likes

And there are plenty of ex-Microsoft Studios folk here and plenty at that time, too.

It was a notable highlight for me, but not for replaying so much as choosing which goals to pursue. If I felt that each encounter had too many people, I would target the recruiter, if I was annoyed by all their rocket launchers I would go after the weapons dealer, etc

1 Like

Can we next focus our energies on developing a suitable replacement for ‘blobber’? It is a term used on rpgcodex to describe any first-person, party-based dungeon crawler with tile-based movement. They use it for everything from Dungeon Master to Might and Magic.

In my Taxonomy of Dungeon Crawlers I separate real-time games from turn-based but don’t categorize based on movement style. I also don’t have any good genre names. The best I’ve come up with is Wizardy-likes and Dungeon Master Clones. Together, these would include all the blobbers plus similar games without tile-based movement. I do think there is some merit to grouping the tile-based games together, so I’m not opposed to that.

Blobber is almost as bad as shmup, so I need your help SB!

2 Likes

How about ‘Hopscotch-em-ups’ due to the square hopping

2 Likes

What does “blobber” even refer to?

1 Like

I hope it’s Bullet Lobber.

1 Like

It’s supposed to represent the fact that the whole party moves together as one inseparable blob.

Gridcrawler? It’s evocative and reminiscent of the tabletop gaming term ‘Hexcrawl’ which refers to exploring a fantasy world one hex at a time.

2 Likes

I like it!

Yeah that’s an odd one especially because the blob party movement doesn’t distinguish it from many other party-based RPGs

…Are there first person tile-based ‘gridcrawlers’ that use hexagonal tiles?