so what else can we call metroidvanias

Blood just shot out of my everywhere.

2 Likes

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror also sort of did this. Rather than laying the game out in stages, it features a metroidvania-style open world, with puzzles, doors, and switches. In order to open up certain areas you have to absorb an enemy’s power from one area and then bring it over to a new area where you can use it to traverse areas you couldn’t reach before.

True Doom Murderheads call them Corridor Shooters

5 Likes

I feel like for this to work the game can’t be about exploring every nook and cranny, getting all the upgrade dinguses and 100%ing. Like if that’s even an option in your game people are going to have to go to wherever the Switch Spot is a zillion times and recomb over every room over and over to make sure they have the right thing to get the thing. That sounds super frustrating. On the other hand, if the goal was constant forward motion having alternative paths through a 2d sidescrolling environment would be really cool, but then you’re not really playing a metrovania any more.

The idea sounds more interesting to me if the abilities are tied to items with an equipment load, meaning you’d have to just settle on like a wall-jump and air-dash combo to the exclusion of anything else, and if the level design can be gotten through using a variety of ability combinations, with some being trickier than others to utilize, given the context

Of course, this would make development 999% harder

I was always partial to “ego-shooter”

1 Like

I have not thought of this term since I used it in a review for a website a long time ago.

Murderhead Street Cred: Confirmed

Also, I was apparently terrified back then of using “you” in a casual, general sense.

1 Like

I will start trying to change the name as soon as everyone starts using format instead of genre.

Shrug come back we need to play more Dog Days! I never got my plat! I never got my plattt.

The last cheevo required a complicated never happening naturally and even clumsily done deliberately co-op mechanic. Your team mate had to knock an emey prone with their gun and then you finished them with your gun.

problem with “metroidvania” is that it attempts to attach one to the other. that’s bad. sotn-style rpg elements COMPLETELY change how the game works. it also assigns way too much importance to a game that, yes, copied another game quite a bit. it leads to too many games that are based on sotn and not nearly enough games that are actually based on metroid. very depressing.

a lot of video games actually do resemble other games in clearly defined ways though. many “diablo-like games” actually do resemble diablo, often down to some fundamentals. at the same time, a lot of video games are wildly different than others but these clear differences are rarely noticed. many “street fighter clones” don’t really play like street fighter much. it always pained me to see guilty gear directly compared to street fighter like it meant something.

too many people calling a spade a heart, not enough people calling a spade a spade.

5 Likes

well actuallly, we should broaden the term ‘metroidvania’ to refer to as many different games as possible

I mean, under the standard definition of the world, Metroid Prime is not a ‘metroidvania’ (a 2D sidescrolling action-adventury thing), despite having the world ‘metroid’ actually in the name. Ergo, first-person adventures are totally metroidvanias.

Same deal with Other M. Since it’s a Metroid, it’s only fair for third-person action adventures to also be called metroidvanias. Naturally, this means Ocarina of Time is a metroidvania, and by extension every other Zelda, since it doesn’t make since for Zelda games to belong to different genres. And if The Legend of Zelda is a metroidvania, then it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to say that one of its spiritual predecessors, Tower of Druaga, is one as well. And if Druaga, then Pac-Man.

Pac-Man is also a ‘maze game’, and a maze is a space in which somebody can get lost or be navigationally challenged.

Almost every game is a ‘maze game’ on account of having spaces that can be navigationally challenging.

We have already determined that all maze games are metroidvanias.

Ergo, every game is a metroidvania.

Q.E.D.

5 Likes

so, FIFA, Tetris and Forza as well then?

To refine the definition (and admittedly narrow it a bit) I would add that the game needs to not just have a space (maze-like or otherwise) that is navigationally challenging but also that in order to reach the end of the space (maze, etc.) the player first must find some item or items through exploration that enable further advances through the maze.

So Wolf3D and Doom count because they have keys/keycards/skulls which you find through exploration that open up doors and unlock more of the maze. Pac-Man would still count because it he has to eat all the dots to reach the next screen. Zelda, Druaga, etc. still count for the obvious reasons. But in the primary bit of the definition is still revolving around advancing through a space via exploration. Some games like Metroid or Zelda fall under the definition automatically, some lean into it as a secondary characteristic of their core design like Wolf3D or Doom, and it can still be stretched to include games you wouldn’t normally consider like Pac-Man.

I propose the term “explore-em-up”.

QWOPtoid

3 Likes

or its more popular form, ‘explmup’

2 Likes

We need a better name for raspberries because they’re terrible at shaving wood

4 Likes

Rasps are also terrible at shaving wood~

often mispronounced as ‘explump’ by people who don’t know better

Ever since this thread first debuted, my brain has been running a constant tiny background process trying to come up with the best name. I was on the “lockmaze” train for a while but I just thought of a good one in the shower: Key Ring Platformers, or Keyrings for short.

Your player character is essentially a key ring, and all the abilities you collect are the keys that allow you to bypass the various locks the game puts up.

Keyrings baby, guaranteed to be less embarrassing to explain to your significant other!

7 Likes

This is very good.

Between “keyring” and “lawnmower sim” (and the venerable “shootmans”) we are developing an entirely new and superior videogame classification system that only we will understand. That’s the old sb elitism we all love

11 Likes

vidcon classification*

6 Likes