so what else can we call metroidvanias

Troidlikes

Unlock-em-ups

GateMazes

Infinite Fun Space (on second thought, this would work better as a name for Minecraft-a-likes)

1 Like

Sprawly Jumpers

1 Like

Backtrack-athons

2 Likes

I now refuse to use ā€˜metroidvaniaā€™ for anything that isnā€™t a Castlevania game in a Metroidish style.

I think in my head theyā€™re just ā€˜side-scrolling adventureā€™ games or ā€˜action adventureā€™ games or something.

(usually) male samuses

no insert credit is garbage

goodbye to all my online friends forever!!!

3 Likes

wait what is this thread about?

I came up with the name ā€œhide and seekersā€ but I donā€™t think it fits at all.

Now Iā€™m trying to come up with a subgenre that does fit that name.

Splinter Cell multiplayer

Androidā€™s dungeons

1 Like

Find the double jump boots

1 Like

Magic Corridor

TwistyJumps

StuffFinders

Grow-Em-Ups

FleaCircuses (wait no this should be the name of whatever genre Lemmings is)

Zelda But Sideways

6 Likes

Was Zelda 2 a Metroidvania?

2 Likes

Pre-dated the label but yes it had the same idea of being unable to progress in some stages because you needed a certain type of magic. Well, barring fancy things like glitches.

1 Like

To me, Metroidvanias are spatial games where your moveset is a function of goals accomplished and you generally explore the same space. Got a thing? Congratulations, you get to traverse the space differently.

And as such the other similarities between Metroid and Castlevania are insignificant. The genre needs platforming as much as it needs pixel art. It needs 2D as much as it needs leveling up. Of course this opens up the genre to a lot of games - almost every open world game except maybe just Mario 64 - but it delimits the idea of what can go into what is pretty much 1997 SotN jerkoff zone.

1 Like

i had an idea for a metroidvania awhile back where, like

youā€™d have to trade out existing movement options for new ones, like you can have the double jump OR the wallkick but not both at the same time, and youā€™d end up re-exploring the same areas you had already been in, but in a completely different way

iā€™m not sure people would actually like that, tbhā€¦

4 Likes

I think thatā€™s really interesting. Having different traversal options usually means your keys to hardlocks change. Usually combat options are interesting as softlocks, so maybe an interplay between different traversal options syncing with different combat options would make for interesting overall strategy choices. Itā€™d probably be good for a roguelike gameā€¦

when i was doodling up ideas for it, i was considering wrapping it in, like, taking roles. eg, well, i guess iā€™m a ninja now so i get a sweet walljump! or maybe a valkyrie so now i have limited flight! etc etc. and tie it into other actions you could do, like other attacks or motions.

it never happened and it probably never will happen, but i still think thereā€™s some good potential there.

(speaking of roguelikes. randomizers are actually popular these days and you can find, like, aria of sorrow and portrait of ruin randomizers that reorder the powerups you get which can get kind of nutty for figuring out how to proceed!)

1 Like

I believe a puzzlescript game I played a while back namedā€¦ Overrwyrld did this. You played through what was basically a blocky version of the original Legend of Zelda overworld, except that you kept getting different abilities that overrode the previous one while you explored for some particular knickknacks. I donā€™t recall if you ever got all of them at the same time, perhaps later on.

Also Wonderboy: The Dragonā€™s Trap has a bit of this as you do have various forms with different abilities, but you can swap them at certain points and eventually gain the ability to change at will.

2 Likes