Share & Talk About Your Music

so the setup in question is a hardware setup – I have an electribe 2 as my midi master synced to two gameboys running LSDJ (via a raspberry pi acting as midi host device) and a microbrute. it’s all running into a korg km-402 mixer and I’m going to record the line out from the mixer! I’m mostly complaining about the fact that I actually have to trigger instrument parts live and in the right order as opposed to arranging in a DAW where I can just arrange it and not have to remember the order the parts get triggered >_>

in ableton I mostly used midi tracks to trigger my microbrute and just recorded the microbrute back into ableton

I felt like my bit sounded patronising, so forgive me there. That said, what’s the advantage of using a seperate system as a MIDI host? Could you possibly simplify it (the whole set-up) a bit?

it’s mostly to bring the gameboys into the setup – I have a little DIY box that converts MIDI to a format that a gameboy can receive through the link port but the problem is that 1. the teensyboy is usb powered and 2. the box only has a mini-usb port, no MIDI ports

normally that wouldn’t be a problem because I could just send midi from the electribe’s usb port directly to the teensyboy but neither device is a midi host! which is SUPER annoying but oh well

somehow with all of this hardware I managed to end up without any midi host capability! if I could simplify the setup I would, but unfortunately that’s just where I’m at right now

I’m being stubborn about the gameboys though because they add a lot of depth to my sound without too much work. usually I can just have them play a faux-sidechained sustained chord and run that through the multitap delay that I have on the mixer and that makes everything sound super full, and the electribe has voice stealing problems that I can get around if I just use gameboys for long pad-ish stuff

also I should’ve posted this in the electronic music tech thread >_>

my advice to anyone doing music and audio production is to study signal processing, particularly EQ and compression. it can do a lot to add dynamics and character to digital sample based instruments without having to go in and tweak every note

1 Like

oh and also get some good saturation plugins and abuse the eff out of them

-get old tape deck
-get One of those car tape deck adapters

• run signal through tape deck. Crank the tape deck
  • saturation of fun!!!
3 Likes

been working on a solo album. here’s a song from it. still a very early mix. idk why I’m sharing this, guess I’m kinda proud of it! https://www.dropbox.com/s/29wok99lbuo47dm/tiny%20death%20of%20me.mp3?dl=0

4 Likes

pretty neat stuff
for some reason it makes me think of top-era ben folds five

1 Like

that is very flattering! it’s the kind of comparison I’m hoping to avoid, but I guess it’s inevitable! piano and drums and stuff

I’m not nearly as good a pianist as ben folds is tho ;__;

Ack, didn’t want to reinforce easy comparisons. But even beyond the format, some of the chord motion and melodic tics just really sound Foldsian. I mean it in a 100% positive way, tho!

no, like I said, I’m flattered! I am big early ben folds fan :3

In honor of Romancing SaGa 2 coming to Englishland, here is a, uh, Romancing SaGa 3 battle theme I arranged. A long time ago. And only remembered now to upload. To Soundcloud, anyway.

Maybe cuz it’s a music sharing thread ya bumbo

no way!!

You say this like it’s a bad thing

it’s not my music per se but

I made a dj mix of dance music my girlfriend and I liked a lot over the last year

I do this every year for her birthday

2 Likes

upload so I don’t feel bad about my lack of creative output!

http://soundcloud.com/space-town/rhinestone

it is not finished nor mixed nor mastered so if it’s a little soft MY BAD

3 Likes

Latest piece.

2 Likes

new song

https://soundcloud.com/conorronk/kingoftheprogram

1 Like