Share and talk about your visual art

Long pose tonight, kinda fucked up the proportions in a way that would be hilariously obvious if I put facial features in. I was more interested on the light on the model’s dress anyway (is what I tell myself)

18 Likes

trying to improve my 2d work by going higher than 16x16

24sprite
grayfox

newslimegirl

24 Likes

these are really good, I think the first one especially looks like a functioning NES sprite

2 Likes

The hardest part about this port is that I converted all the physics over to a “real” runge-kutta 4 differential equation solver. In the previous version of the code the particles would literally just update based on their force and velocity more or less asynchronously. The stability of the rk4 integrator is much better than the naive approach but when you have 1/r^2 forces in particular its easy for small errors to gradually introduce a lot of energy into the system.

So I’ve had to also introduce an v^2 “drag” force on all the particles, although this doesn’t always resolve all the “oops, the force is infinite” problems. My ds/dt function is getting pretty hairy, is what I am saying, and it still explodes every once and awhile. I’m thinking about just squeezing my ds/dt to fit in a range regardless of what it looks like. Not great for physical accuracy by acceptable for this.

2 Likes

I refactored that code. Here is the result of a long simulation:

19 Likes

cool

I’m pretty happy with this result.

So this image is generated by:

100 positive charges pushing against one another. During drawing a clock is superimposed on the image and once every second a charge is moved instantaneously from the second hand to the minute or hour hand (alternating). All points draw a trail onto the canvas. The trails are white, but after a point is teleported its trail color is set to black. The color decays back to white after about a minute.

The charges are forced to stay on the “face” of the clock by a for proportional to their distance off the face. If the points weren’t constantly being moved around by the clock hands the particles would reach an equilibrium where they were distributed as far from one another as possible, given the constraints, but here they cannot. Hence the drawing.

What I’m always trying to do with generative art is

1. design a process which paints a canvas over time
  2. avoid explicit randomness, which I think is boring.
6 Likes

23 Likes

Love this v much

Whats the tshirt say? I feel like its not Free Willy but that’s the only thing i can read

it is free willy!

credit to @slime for that. i have a hard time finding and picking phrases so i asked her for suggestions. free willy is great

2 Likes

Slightly envious of your ability to draw a normal humanoid from scratch, I struggle with it even given the opportunity to stare at a live human for hours. Nice work!

3 Likes

have you received much figure drawing instruction or do you just kinda wing it? when I’m drawng a character from scratch I use balls and tubes and when I’m life drawing I triangulate and chisel, and for trying to draw human poses I use lots of references and mix both methods

3 Likes

you are doing good tho. drawings is difficult and gains are gradual. i mean this is obvious i guess but don’t really know what else to say

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve come to terms with not immediately being amazing at it, it’s been good for me to suck at something and gradually get better. Normally if I sucked at something I just didn’t do it which was pretty limiting given how much I suck at. In late 2018 I was in a huge rut and decided to take an art class for the first time since middle school. It was fucking rough at the time but I’ve kept taking then since and the improvement/progression has been rewarding.

Anyway, just trying to say you got some skills that are good after what I’m sure was some work

6 Likes

drew a character and actually moved past just a sketch for the first time in a hot minute, then decided to also quick paint in a background instead of leaving a void

15 Likes

super good costume, love the gory elements

1 Like

thanks! theyve become one of my favorite pals to draw in that past few years exactly cuz i like doing those two things

A significant scene from Liber 2. Something of a Checkov’s gun. Not going to explain the full significance. Peter the dragon watches hunters kill a father deer in front of its mate and child.

Freddy Marus meeting his (unknown to him) anarchist love interest (who I guess I haven’t named yet) in Liber 3. She’s playing this part of Polovtsian Dances, and he asks her if she knows the lyrics to the song, and so she sings, but they are slightly different from the original.

3 Likes

10 Likes