Share and talk about your visual art

Do it.

My latest project is a collaboration with a friend. I’m doing drawings of architectural cross-sections and he’s interpreting them three-dimensionally with a modeling program. Eventually, they’ll be made into physical sculptures using a 3D printer.

Below are a few screenshots from a model. It’s part of the third drawing above.

13 Likes

My first contribution to this thread is simply going to be a link to my photography portfolio, specifically my most recent (a few months ago) extensive urban exploration series in Detroit’s Packard Plant:

http://mikeynaps.com/section/418228_The_Packard_Plant.html

And here’s an example from that series:

3 Likes

if anyone has any interest in seeing the comics, doodles, audio and video i’ve whipped up over the years, they can do so right here

3 Likes

I am interested in this.

Another thing I’ve been doing is modifying environmental imagery from different Castlevania games and taking photos of Dark Souls as it appears on my small SDTV screen. Not sure what I want to do with the former – maybe arrange them into an artist’s book? – but an article that’ll be published soon makes use of some of the Souls photos.

You can see all of the ones so far in these posts:

CRT Souls I
CRT Souls II
CRT Souls III
CRT Souls Secret Bonus Post
Revisiting the Depths and Upper Blighttown
Revisiting Darkroot Garden, the Valley of Drakes, Oolacile Township/Dungeon, and the Chasm of the Abyss

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Super Castlevania IV ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance & Aria of Sorrow ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania 3: Dracula’s Curse and Castlevania: Bloodlines ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania: Bloodlines, Circle of the Moon, and Harmony of Dissonance (Part II) ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Part II) ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon
Castlevania 3: Dracula’s Curse (Part II) ~ A Darkening Blood-Moon

10 Likes

Welp, now I need to play current videogames through a crt

1 Like

Lately I’ve been slowly making designs for a sort of card game I want to make based on Bikkuriman stickers. I plan to eventually make small 3d printed figures of some of these designs as well.

9 Likes

It’s sort of a shame you can’t just assault Lotte/Toei with your expansion pack and get them to make it, bikkuri’d into humble assent by the dopeness

I’ve never showed these to anyone, but you all might find them interesting. Just messing around in Blender. The graininess is just the low sample size because I was impatient while rendering, but I think it contributes.

I actually used a couple of these as subjects for paintings. Here’s a bad photo.

48in x 48in oil on panel.

edit: same one twice.

9 Likes

I think everything in this thread so far is real cool and good.

I made this video recently:

http://personasama.tumblr.com/post/135098473294/hey-guys-ive-got-some-hot-footage-of-that-new

It really blew up on Twitter, especially in Japanese gaming Twitter, but meanwhile on Tumblr, it’s had little to no reaction. I’m a little disappointed by that.

Though the discrepancy is interesting to observe too. What kind of audience does my Tumblr have vs my very obviously gaming-centric Twitter?

2 Likes

That’s amazing, Persona. Personally I’d just guess the discrepancy is the lack of any sort of meaningful Kancolle fandom on Tumblr, but I don’t actually know.

I picked up a drawing tablet from a friend and have been practicing off and on but so far nothing’s really been clicking with me. I’ve really wanted to but keeping up motivation when it’s this daunting has been a problem. Going to go back and pixel art it up tonight I think though! It’s easier for me to wrap my head around at this point, since form is easier to manage and a lot of it comes down to color choice.

If you’re having trouble drawing but not pixel arting, maybe try drawing with those same limitations in mind? For example: a smaller canvas, restricted colors, simpler shapes for easier silhouettes, etc.

Personally I think drawing digitally is much harder than drawing with real media. There’s a tendency to overwork detail digitally because you can zoom in and focus on minor details that aren’t so relevant or visible in print.

Also don’t worry about drawing something pretty or nice. You should draw big and ugly and weird and funny and enjoy yourself as much as you can. You can’t force yourself to get better but you can teach yourself to enjoy drawing, which leads to being much more motivated to draw more and eventually get better.

Alternatively, if you enjoy pixel arting more, just go all-in with pixel art!

@Persona
Yeah, I’ve never been able to get a tablet to feel quite right., through all sorts different tools and programs.

But in the vein of focusing on pixel art mauve, you tried using the binary pen tools in stuff? It often tends to be the one that feels the most right to me, and is my go to digital doodling/sketching tool.

Having trouble with that too, but less so! I definitely best work ‘inverted’ to how I’m supposed to; instead of painting from formed outlines inwards, I’m painting outwards to create the form. (maybe I should try working with other people’s line art for awhile to get a feel for things; nothing publicly showable of course) Actually not so much a fan of pixel art but finding it plays to my strengths more than other models do.

Since it’s mostly a matter of keeping motivation up I’m just trying to keep it simple for the time being. Real goal is I just want to get the vocabulary and knowledge down so that, when it comes time to talking w/ artists and other non-technical people, that we can get on the same page wrt assets and such. I don’t think I have the real talent or drive to get especially good, but I need a good basis.

Aliased pens are a thing but not sure how I feel atm.

edit: Now that more of the day has passed and I’m not completely braindead; what I meant earlier is that back during earlier attempts at game projects, when we had an art shortfall and nobody was sure how to communicate how things should look in a meaningful way to artists, I had to pick up the slack, and being a programmer, this meant I tried to solve all problems with programming. This did not end well. So I would at least like to get competent on being able to communicate how things should go; and I’ve already learned a heck of a lot on that front. But it’d be nice to improve on the rest too, you know?

Here’s some stuff I was doing last year/earlier this year.

2 Likes

Blender again.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I design and draw cartoon characters for kicks

i’m not very polished but i have fun!

7 Likes

Photos I’ve taken around Cambridge and parts of Boston.

4 Likes

We just released some art to our opengameart page. I think we’re gonna make a sequel to dodgebaal over Global Game Jam.

2 Likes