SELECTBUTTON POLL XX

7 games remain; katamari damacy, outrun 2 and doom / doom ii are seeded for later rounds. overall bracket here. voting is now open and will last for one week.

• EarthBound
  • Dark Souls

0 voters

• F-Zero GX
  • Demon’s Souls (2009)

0 voters

VOTE

7 Likes

can’t believe it’s almost over…

4 Likes

Gonna vote for Earthbound because it makes you stand in the same place for 3 minutes and I think that’s good.

Gonna vote for F-Zero GX because I think about that game like, at least once a month, and will for the rest of my life

5 Likes

Gonna vote for both Souls because I have not played Earthbound, and, while I have played FZGX, DeS is the most magical Souls game.

dark souls, f-zero gx

1 Like

Hearts will be broken and I envy the person who doesn’t give a shit about souls here.

I haven’t played earthbound so dark souls is the obvious vote but I don’t feel it in my gut that it should be at this stage of the bracket. Tempted to abstain.

Demon’s Souls versus FZGX is crazy. I’ll play either of these games any time and there’s lots to love and say about each. GX has the slight advantage of being the most underrated genre still in the winners bracket and is probably the least likely of any of these games to make it into a top 10 of any similar list elsewhere. Demon’s Souls is just very solid though.

2 Likes

worth noting that all games still in the running with the exception of katamari are in losers, and therefore the loser of any given matchup will be eliminated

2 Likes

i’d rather there be more interesting stuff remaining, but i also really don’t like earthbound at all.

4 Likes

Ah thanks, misread the bracket.

1 Like

I want to drive the Fire Stingray across that damn bridge in 1-2 so I don’t have to deal with those dogs.

3 Likes

by the way, as it stands now the next (and final) four rounds will all be comprised of a single matchup - how would you all feel about shortening the discussion and voting period for those? if people appreciate the unhurried pace and time to talk then we can totally do that and i’m more than happy to but i don’t know if it gets tedious for others lol

3 Likes

i’ve honestly liked the slow rollout - it’s been pleasing to see this winnow down over, what, 8 months or something now? holy shit. anyway that’s my opinion, keep it slow

8 Likes

I don’t mind a slow finale. There’s no rush and the threads still spark some good talking points. As long as you’re OK to keep organising this a while longer.

7 Likes

Earthbound, Demon’s

1 Like

It’s probably not right to vote for both Souls games, but I might have to do that.

I waited years for Earthbound to be released for Wii Virtual Console (I could never afford it for SNES and had no friends who owned it), but it never was. I wanted to play it on a TV, not on a computer. When I acquired a Wii U, I finally got a copy but I kept getting distracted and came to conclude that it might not be the type of game that I can play for the first time as an adult and stick with it.

Now it’s one of the many games I think to myself that I’d probably return to if I were ever sick or injured or something and suddenly found myself with a lot more free time. But I’m afraid that list is now too long for any such period to realistically last for several lifetimes. (That is also when I’d hypothetically watch some anime series.)

6 Likes

Think I’m going to be Team No Souls just so I can be the only one.

4 Likes

Ahem

3 Likes

Figure I’d say a few words about Earthbound, since I’ve mostly abstained from saying anything in the discussion threads for the past few months… better late than never.

Earthbound has never clicked with me. Every time I try to give it a chance, I find the tone really grating and I need to shut it off after a half hour. What’s strange is I do really like what I’ve read of Itoi’s non-Mother writing, but I read it in Japanese. I’m curious to some day go back and try Earthbound in Japanese and maybe look at whether the tone is actually different, if I’m more predisposed to preferring certain tones delivered in certain languages, or if I still hate it.

2 Likes

Dark Souls should have come with scratch and sniff cards for each of its bosses.

7 Likes

I regret to inform selectbuttondotnet votertariat that voting for both “Demon’s Souls” and “Dark Souls” is implicitly a vote for Quantic Dream’s David Cage’s Beyond: Two Souls.

10 Likes