selectbutton poll hey 19: i want a game when i lose

It was the developer of Iconoclasts who then revealed they had only played like an hour of it.

Not where I pulled the idea but wow what a long article about a weird video game on Variety!

I also really didn’t like Iconoclasts

3 Likes

I liked the hour I played of Iconoclasts

3 Likes

Never played a Souls but I like Fromsoftware in general because of how iconic their worlds and monsters seem. Like I remember the basic skeleton monsters in Lost Kingdoms feeling like such a good representation of that type of stock fantasy monster that it transcends being generic and becomes iconic.

Anyways I vote for F-Zero GX for doing the most to expand the F-Zero universe

5 Likes

People will talk about all the unhinged attention to detail in Metal gear, and that’s true.

But every single racer in F-Zero GX has a theme song that plays on one menu, and one menu alone. This menu isn’t part of the actual game-play, it’s just on one character bio screen.

Each of these songs is great. Each one is unique to each racer.

There are forty racers

This is why it deserves your vote.

17 Likes

as a nearly perfect videogame, my biggest and maybe only real issue with GX is how it caused everyone to forget that X is probably still the superior game

it’s very good, but it in no way supersedes its predecessor. it only stands comfortably alongside it. of course, it doesn’t require the use of the polarizing N64 controller and isn’t so “early-3D” - along with the perceived obsolescence, these are reasons i suspect people talk about GX but not X

whatever the case, from nearly any critical perspective perspective outside of an ineffable “triple-a polish” feeling, i think X is still the better game overall. certainly if you can get past the very spartan graphics

8 Likes

I think they’re funny but GX’s music doesn’t stick for me like Big Blue or Mute City. Too 2003 for F-Zero.

Yell “Dead Cell” is never more than a second away from recollection.

3 Likes

Smashing into other racers so they get no points is the best and the big chunky models in X are ideal smashing targets.

4 Likes

sorry this is my last bit of n64-posting then i’ll stop

the last track in X is “Big Hand”

tumblr_pfuevhzjDR1s3uawvo2_r1_500
there ain’t a single track in GX that even approaches the bonkers attitude and charm of such a thing lol

14 Likes

the soundtrack is two discs long, and one is just the character themes and it rules.

3 Likes

F-zero GX feels faster but I think F-zero X is actually faster in terms of inputs required per second. I love both, maximalist vs minimalist pretty much.

3 Likes

X and GX both compete for “best looking game on the system” though, and almost entirely based on frame rate. Amazing games.

6 Likes

X is like the only N64 game I can look at and not immediately think it is a slushy disaster of a game I would never have the patience to put up with

5 Likes

:frowning:

17 Likes

n64posting continues - World Driver Championship is really pretty on N64. It has a fancy Hi-Res mode - excessively letterboxed but it does look excellent

MGS2 is really interesting. i’m OK with that winning over F-Zero even though F-Zero has my heart

6 Likes

Also S&P, which I fired up the other day and damn, it still looks good.

3 Likes

some nonsense about Phantom Road that I’ll break out of this spoilerpop once I get home and can verify it EDIT: okay yeah i think this is right:

One subtle yet crucial difference between the driving models in X and GX is that in GX your machine’s pitch and roll relative to the surface of the track has a large effect on how it handles. In general, an off-kilter ship has to take a few moments to recenter itself to recover it’s speed and handling, which is only really relevant after collisions, on really bumpy tracks (like that one part of Fire Field Undulation), and (most infamously) on Phantom Road. That course’s name, Slim-Line Slits, refers to the thin slits along the middle of the track. While you can’t fall through the slits, they prove incredibly troublesome because they can destabilize your ship along the aforementioned pitch and roll axes – easily cratering your performance if you aren’t careful. The cause of this effect is non-obvious to the average player, and is neither taught nor especially relevant on any other course in the game, making it the most difficult course in the game by a long shot – and I think that’s just beautiful.
[/details]

Also, while I really love the background colossi and everything else about Big Hand, I think GX deserves some credit for giving us the best possible interpretation of Rainbow Road:

6 Likes

both games contain incredible depth and complexity along various axes. the only implication i want to push back against is the idea that GX is uniquely complex or deep. it is a topic that is very much up for debate

3 Likes

RIP i’m only talking about n64 games in this thread but it’s only because there needs to be another f-zero game, i’m dying here

7 Likes

honestly I don’t have enough trust in modern Nintendo to make an F-Zero game that will top GX for me

6 Likes

apologies once again for the delay, new thread here

3 Likes