SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE 💀

people should specify which bosses they mean in spoilers maybe cuz I can’t tell from just vague descriptions, lol. I’ve found I think 3 true bosses, all unbeaten by me so far

2 Likes

(added)

Also that very dark area, opposite of the snake path - anyone mess around down there yet?

I haven’t found lady butterfly yet but I just beat gyoubu oniwa. It was exhilarating and now I feel like a real one armed Wolf

2 Likes

I met the boss of that zone, Headless. Then died.

seems pretty clear that not liking this game is for squares but they’ve taken away everything that appeals to me about these games and replaced it with stuff I’m ambivalent about

1 Like

I beat the blazing bull first try! I did have to resurrect to fight it but still

firecracker prosthetic tool is my fav so far if only because it totally trivialized these kinds of bosses.

has anyone else got the mist raven prosthetic? you use it when your attacked and you vanish in a puff of feathers and appear behind the enemy

2 Likes

everyone should just be making up fake shit in this thread

5 Likes

I think I found the new Patches

the jar by the river?

I got it, I haven’t used it much but I am looking forward to upgrading it.

No it was a guy looting a temple who mentioned some nice treasure in a pagoda and was wearing a coat of coloured patches

oh! I met him too! didn’t connect him to patches in my mind

he is the merchant in the first area I hadn’t connected him to patches, I’m curious now

I played up to beating Chained Ogre and so far I don’t feel any frustration. I don’t give a crap about losing unseen% for instance, I wouldn’t have missed it if that mechanic didn’t even exist. And I picked up quickly enough that the first Outskirts General is a red-eye/black knight kind of optional dude that I can throw myself at repeatedly now or come back to wreck him in the late game, totally up to taste. I hope to be able to maintain the same chill attitude to whatever increasingly unforgiving stuff the game is sure to throw at me in the future, but we’ll see.

I love the surveying the entire towns from above, the color palette which splashes ruins with vibrant seasonal colors, and the clangy, viciously cutting swordfights that are so much more sharply animated than any Soulsborne (likely because there is only one weapon). So far, I think this game delivers.

5 Likes

I definitely connected him to Patches once I followed his advice and went to the pagoda, where he tried to kill me.

Honestly this still feels mostly like a souls game to me, at least in all the good ways. It still has the ‘try, die, repeat, succeed’ loop you still lose currency on death.

They changed it just enough that the sense of having to learn what’s what with the combat and various systems is back in place after DS3 mostly just went through the motions. The specifics have changed, but the overall structure doesn’t feel too different.
I am glad we got this instead of just Dark Souls 4, but with ninjas.

2 Likes

the snake path is my favprite part of this 2006 ass game so far

4 Likes

Ah, it also did not occur to me that the person you fight up there is him lol

Tempted to replace the soundtrack with a mega playlist of Video Game Ninja Music (or just keep The Revenge of Shinobi on-loop).

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed Nioh to the point of obsession I am enjoying this massively. The AI getting stuck on debris and facing walls like a naughty child isn’t common but fortunately they are better at killing me than I them. Coming from DMC5 I’m mildly annoyed that the shinobi arts are tied to resources as was Nero but is understandable. Still, I see there’s plenty to upgrade so things don’t seem too shallow.